[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So my mom is looking for a new router for the house. We'
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
So my mom is looking for a new router for the house. We've had the same router for more than 10 years, it's an old Linksys WRT54G. I'm thinking about getting those two-in-one modem/routers that's on the Comcast approved list. I'm currently looking at this, are the two-in-ones reliable? Or should I just look for just a router?

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Wi-Fi-DOCSIS-Router-C3000/dp/B00IF0JAIU/
>>
>>53393163
Go for a gaming modem.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (152 KB, 2000x1125) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
152 KB, 2000x1125
This one
>>
>>53393352
>be normie
>want to browse facebook
>the fucking router scampers away
>>
>>53393352
whats up with routers looking like spiders and alien ships
>>
I'd rather buy a modem/router combo device than two separate devices, especially if it's for my parents. You want easy configuration and less cables imo.

I needed a good ADSL2+ modem/router with good wifi coverage, and the possibility to install custom firmware, so I ended up buying the TP-Link TD-W8980 N600

Most importantly, read reviews! (Not just the Amazon ones)
>>
Get an Asus.
>>
>>53393163
I retired my old WRT and paid megabucks for an Asus RT-66U.

One week out of warranty, it won't turn on. The power switch died. Searching around apparently its a common problem with them.

So back to WRT, which is doing everything I want despite being over a decade old.

Lesson: Don't switch your WRT unless you really have to, there is literally nothing better out there.
>>
>>53393163
Ask your mum's boyfriend.
>>
>>53393829
Why would he ask himself?
>>
>>53393163
do not fucking get a router/modem combo.

Get the router pictured in your OP; I have one, it works great, it's not expensive, and you can install opensource firmware on it if you want.

Get a separate modem.

Reasons for separation:

1. Better troubleshooting
2. Better upgrade options
3. More control
4. More fine-grained control over feature set.

Fuck comcast, fuck their approved list, and fuck two-in-ones in general. yes i am mad
>>
File: d6f.jpg (29 KB, 600x579) Image search: [Google]
d6f.jpg
29 KB, 600x579
>>53393163
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/01/numbers-dont-lie-its-time-to-build-your-own-router/
>not making your own
>being this casual
>>
>>53394533

>2016
>not building your own modem
>not writing your own DOCSIS firmware
>>
>>53394298
This all the way. 2-in-ones suck.

Also if you want to go full neckbeard, installed DD-WRT is actually not hard on that router. I did it and the extra functionality was well worth it.
>>
>>53394298
I'd understand if this was for me but this is for my family

And honestly the two in one looks like the ideal solution since my mom also rents their modem and like >>53393449 it would be less cables for me to manage. It would be killing 3 birds with one stone.
>>
>>53393163
>not knowing what to look for when buying a router
jesus christ the plebery of this board is unbearable

Check the speed of the lan and wan ports and see what wireless standard it uses.

More money =/= equal better quality with routers. Companies know you'll buy a 200$ meme gaming router because youre a pleb
>>
>>53393163
Get whatever's cheapest if it doesn't really affect you. If you're still living with her and want to upgrade for the both of you, just get any modem with DOCSIS 3.1 for future improvements, and then spend your remaining funds on a router you find attractive. You may not need to buy a new modem depending on your current internet speeds, and might just be able to spend your funding on the router itself, in which case you can buy something that you can take with you when you move.
It's hard to help, though, without any information.
>>
>>53396286
Going to add on that the modem/router combo is hardly ever a good idea. Get another WRT router or build a router if you have a spare computer laying around that you can upgrade in the future. If you build it, you get to have a fun project and learn more about networking in the process.
>>
File: index.jpg (11 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
11 KB, 225x225
>>53393163

Go full retard son.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcVb96M1DXE
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.