[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
C/C++ Compiler Shootout
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6
File: carey.jpg (7 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
carey.jpg
7 KB, 184x184
C programmers have options.

lets talk about it in a civilized manner?

see this to get the ball rolling

https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2014-01/msg00247.html
>>
File: .png (318 KB, 1336x527) Image search: [Google]
.png
318 KB, 1336x527
>>53378006
>>
gcc is the worst piece of shit compiler ever
>>
>>53378135
tolsto
>>
>>53378135
what about g++
>>
>>53378151
mama tvoya
>>
>>53378183
bad just because it's a c++ compiler lol
tcc is the shit btwfyitbh op, just wish someone would fucking update it
>>
CLANG
L
A
N
G
>>
File: 80R.png (42 KB, 272x304) Image search: [Google]
80R.png
42 KB, 272x304
>>53378373
>has high complexity heuristic optimization
>manages to produce slower code than another OPEN SOURCE COMPILER that it can literally copy from
>written in c++
B R A V O
R
A
V
O
also, for "muh standards", --std=c99 in gcc works perfectly fine
>>
>>53378479
fuck off gcc shill
>>
>>53378507
dont get me wrong i hate GayCockCollection too but clang is worse
>>
wow clangs worse ~? i heard its best 'production quality' ? why gcc better
>>
>>53378006
I used to use clang system-wide but I stopped in favor of using hardened gcc.

If clang supports gcc's hardening features and Gentoo Hardened supports it as an alternative, I could switch in the future.

But right now, if I want a hardened OS, I pretty much need to use gcc.
>>
>>53378183
>>53378295
ITT: /dpt/'ers that have no actual idea about the compiler scene

>>53378006
OP, I hope you don't actually expect to get meaningful discussion about this on /g/, the den of ricing, fizzbuzzing, and Stallman-fantasizing
>>
-std=c89 -Wall -Wextra

If you don't use those options, you're just a filthy code monkey.
>>
ok if no1 want to talk serious compiler, can som1 atleast abuse wat the guy says in the link in op?
>>
>>53379507
>No -pedantic

My sides
>>
File: civilized manner.png (163 KB, 368x368) Image search: [Google]
civilized manner.png
163 KB, 368x368
>>53378118
>>
>>53379539
poo in the loo rajeet
>>
>>53379545
Ho shit I forgot it. I'm so sorry anon you're right.

-std=c89 -Wall -Wextra -pedantic

I'm too ashamed anon. I always use pedantic but I forgot to write it just now.
>>
>>53378479
you know, gcc is also written in c++
>>
>>53379640
Strangely incorrect warnings were introduced in gcc at the same time C++ took over. Related or not related? That is the question.
>>
>>53379489
i went on there once and 5 people called me a retard for not liking c++ and java
>>53379640
i know, i didnt say it was good, just that it's better
>>53379651
this guy gets it
>>
>>53380054
> I went in /dpt/ once
Good, it sounds like you don't frequent it. Don't. It is filled with misinformed hobbyist programmers and will give you cancer.
>>
File: filter.png (70 KB, 525x1420) Image search: [Google]
filter.png
70 KB, 525x1420
>>53380098
I just have it filtered.
>>
>>53380098
well, where should i go?
just theoretically
>>
>>53378006
Stallman is the reason why so many projects and companies are going away from GCC. He personally ensured that GCC would be so gimped that it would eventually become irrelevant. While the GCC team was busy trying to find a way to make plugins work on a way approved by their great guru, Clang was gaining steam.
Just wait until Clang can compile the Linux kernel and it's basically over for GCC.
>>
>>53380813
I don't know any details on gcc's plugins but clang is bsd licensed and gcc is gpl, so if companies are moving away from gcc i'd attribute it to that.
>>
>>53380929
I promise you that is not the issue. Same companies are also big Linux kernel contributors. The problem is the FSF, not the GPL.
>>
>>53380954
what did they do?
>>
>>53380966
It's impossible to work with the FSF. More often than not, you end up working against them. Specifically when it comes to the compiler, the FSF believes that a compiled binary should be readable on the same level as a source file. This makes sense in the sense that they want to prevent code obfuscation. But that also means they're going to actively fight back on anything that mangles the binary output in any way, even for optimizations.
As for plugins, for the longest time Stallman was against it because you could have non-free plugins. That's all fine and dandy but this was another area where Clang outperformed. Thankfully, they came to their senses but too little too late and they still refuse to have the AST accessible via plugins.

For all his shitposting, Torvalds is a much easier person to work with. Let that sink in for a moment.

I am angry about that because GCC was the GNU project biggest success but their extremism has led to non-free alternatives being better, by far. And GCC is now this close to lose all funding. Like I said, once Clang supports all the GCC quirks to compile the kernel it's game over.
And that's something they can do, they implemented full support for "Microsoft extensions" so Clang works directly with the Windows headers now. Heck, even Microsoft is contributing to Clang these days.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtwaK-s9QRI
>>
>>53381115
>once Clang supports all the GCC quirks to compile the kernel it's game over
Clang doesn't even need to support gcc's quirks. Patches are merged into Linux every release cycle to fix non-standard gcc shit in the linux source code and make it work with clang.
Clang will be Linux's primary compiler target in a few more releases whether clang does anything or not.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.