[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it true that apps are generally better on iOS than Android?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 3
File: [email protected] (75 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
os-ios@2x.png
75 KB, 1024x1024
Is it true that apps are generally better on iOS than Android?

This is not a fanboy thread I really want to know. And I'm not talking about mainstream apps only like facebook/twitter, I'm talking about all the apps.
>>
Yes.
Cocoa is fucking great
>>
File: 1455029726587.png (355 KB, 704x817) Image search: [Google]
1455029726587.png
355 KB, 704x817
>>53376710
No.
>>
A lot of the time (Snapchat for Android is a disaster), probably because people on the iOS app store are more likely to buy things.
>>
Will an application run better native or in a VM?
>>
>>53376744
Cherry picking
>>
Yes.
>>
>>53376749
Explain to me how Snapchat on Android is a disaster?
>>
>>53377168
How
>>
>>53377196
Snapchat on Android is literally just taking a screenshot of your viewfinder. So not talking directly to the camera and not using any of the ISP's post-processing.
>>
Yes most Apps are developed first for iOS cause it's a smaller ecosytem, and then ported to the massively fragmented Android ecosystem.
> ported
> ported

/thread
>>
>>53378975
>Snapchat on Android is literally just taking a screenshot of your viewfinder.
holy shit really?
>>
>>53376710
Yes.
Android is the biggest drawback of Android phones.
The hardware is amazing, the software is subpar.
>>
>>53379356
ez money on ios

lagdroid users are poor af
>>
>>53376710
it's true that android apps are way easier to pirate than ios apps

what does everyone use here for ios apps? I use iphonecake
>>
Every single successful app that made any decent amount of money is either iPhone exclusive, or started off first on iPhone.

The Android counterpart comes out when an app is making money on iOS and they need to boost their growth.
>>
>>53376710
Developing apps for android is a clusterfuck compared to ios.
>>
iOS generally has the better apps.
If you're thinking about some android app, iOS probably had it before
it runs better too
>>
Welp that's it then guys.

OP here. I was planning on buying a high-end android but since the price is so similar I don't see why I should now. Apple here I come.

And at least I'll get OS updates as well.
>>
>>53381057
easy to disprove.
Google makes lots of important apps and some are Android-first or even exclusive.
>>
>>53381309
shouldn't you know which apps exactly you need?
if it's lots of things from Google, iOS might not be that great because you can't change Apple's default apps and iOS still doesn't allow other browsers to use their own rendering/javascript engine.
so Chrome is miles better on Android and not some Safari skin that you can't even set as default (enjoy that your url links opening in Safari)
>>
>>53376710
Android, obviously ;)
>>
>>53381511
From google the only things i'm constantly using is maps and search. I can deal with using safari I'm sure.

I just want the best value from my money.
>>
>>53381620
Google Maps is a second-class citizen on iOS.
Apple Maps is default and you can't change that, tho it's not that much worse than Google Maps (depending on region) and at least has public transit information for a few bigger cities now too.

Different browsers on desktop and mobile isn't that nice due to no easy tab/bookmark sharing.
>>
>>53381725
Pretty much everyone I know in Estonia that use iPhone have install gMaps because Apple's maps app does not cut it here.
>>
>>53381390

Any app by an indie developer and most apps by big publishers. Google doesn't count.
>>
>>53376710
iOS users are shown to spend more money on apps, so developers generally spend much more money on the iOS versions of applications because they get a much better return on investment.
>>
>>53381725
I don't know where you live but in Indiana Apple Maps will drive you into a corn field. Google is so accurate it takes you to an apartment door.
>>
>>53382945
nope, 'money spend per user' is not not a metric devs care about.
they care about money. doesn't matter if it takes way more android users than iOS users, but does matter where one gets more in total.
>>
>>53383109
good thing it just so happens that the total amount spent is also higher then.
>>
>>53376757

Since Lollipop, Android applications are compiled to native code at install time, rather than runtime.
>>
>>53381620
>value for money
>buys most overpriced phone which does less than a midrange Android
>>
You don't need to worry about browsers because Safari is a great browser. Apple maps is far better than it used to be, that being said using Gmaps is also not a problem.
>>
>>53376710
The iOS apps usually come first. If it's a hit, then it gets ported to Android (+ a thousand clones will already exist by then).
So yes, they are generally better.

It is easy to see if an app was made for iOS, just look at the icon. All apps on iOS have that square-with-round-corners shape and they're not gonna change it for Android.
>>
>>53383258
iPhones lose less value if you want to resell, so yep, its a better value for your money
>>
>>53376710
I came from ios and the android apps are better, a lot of specialty, apps I wanted on ios costed like $5.99 or more because devs had to pay the yearly fee. And there weren't any other choices. on android I've found about 10 versions of the app I was looking for on ios and they are free but have a few banner adds so I could deal with it
>>
>>53376710

There is no good answer to this question.
>>
>>53382945
As someone who develops for both platforms, I fucking wish android never existed. It's generally much easier to make a quality ios app than try and make something work well on android.
>>
>>53385218
can you name specific apps?
>>
>>53385316
/thread
>>
>>53385352
why?
>>
Generally speaking yes, there is a degree of consistency with both the software and hardware that tends to create a better, more polished end result all around.
>>
>>53385357
a few file converters and special video editors
>>
Usually, yes. IOS fags actually pay... and they are white.

Android is full of pootoloos who give you one star because your application has some small parts that don't work with RTL languages or because one extra feature they want is missing, but everything else is okay.

"I give you one star because this is very bad but else the application is good so if you fix then I will give you five star so if you do you should"
If you actually do as Pajeet demands (or at least seems to - who knows what he actually wants, Indian English is entirely its own thing), do you think he actually keeps his word?
No.
Usually, Pajeet didn't even buy your application. He got it from some pirate repack. So when you suddenly get a large influx of 1 stars, but no peak in sales, you know what happened.
Fuck indians. This is the reason I fucking HATE android development. Fuck you, Pajeet. Fuck you.
>>
>>53386163
3rd world faggot here

I remember google play used to be filled with these 1-star reviewers that said they would change once they 'tested' the app. The reviews were almost a year old.

Thankfully i'm on iOS now but I imagine the situation is the same. Why the fuck do they do that?
>>
I'm more on the Andoir side but I would say yes. The Apple Store has a wider audience than the Google Play Store so developers focus on Apple most of the time. Apple also has stricter guidelines so they have to make it "nicer"
>>
>>53378975
source?
>>
>>53386245
I have no idea. My theory is that Pajeet doesn't even know what a toilet is, so he doesn't understand the concept of a "review" either.

His tiny mind just can't handle it. He is overwhelmed. He can't understand it. His intestine is rumbling and hurting, but the designated shitting beach is almost 2 hours away and that makes him upset. And he knows only one way to deal with this intense emotion.
>>
File: nexus_vs_iPhone.webm (3 MB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
nexus_vs_iPhone.webm
3 MB, 960x540
>>53376710
Couldn't be farther from the truth
>>
>>53386307
His ass
>>
>>53386357
I'm an Android fanboy, and I think this is fake, is there a custom ROM on the Nexus?
>>
>>53386380
Nope, stock Android on a Nexus is fast and smooth as fuck
>>
Generally, yes actually. This is because Apple has a strict pre-submission checklist for devs. Google literally doesn't give a fuck even if you use a design pre-holo, as long as it "werkz" and passes automated checks.

Additionally, if you look on a lot of dev teams, you'll see the ios devs look like pretty much uptight nerds, and the android devs are pooinloos. Uptight nerds on ios religiously study that shit, pooinloos just google for answers on what the fuck java is doing.

Both marketplaces though have issues, like allowing shit copycats like CraftMines or whatever the fuck retards come up with/
>>
>>53386357
>anecdotal evidence

wew lad
>>
>>53386671
Implying that isn't this whole thread.
>>
>>53386287
How do you figure the Apple store has a wider audience?
>>
>>53383942
apple maps has literally nothing that google map's can't do
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.