[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Linux system hacked
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: index.jpg (6 KB, 214x236) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
6 KB, 214x236
Hey,
is there any case in linux history it which system was hacked?
>>
>hacked

ayy lmao
>>
constantly, though "hacked together" is a more correct way to word it.
>>
>>53364852
Linux servers are hacked all the time, normally due to poor configuration. Most webservers are on Linux boxes, and most people are pretty shit at things
>>
My VNC server got hacked some time ago, is not uncommon, but then again, I was stupid.
>>
There have also been close calls in the past, where malicious code has almost made it into the kernel master, which would result in a lot of compromised computers.
>>
File: 1450694625663.png (631 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1450694625663.png
631 KB, 1280x720
Linux, like any OS, is not impervious to hacking and exploits. You could even argue that it's less secure than windows and its security only comes from its obscurity.

You mostly see Linux systems getting hacked when they're acting as servers. Heartbleed, bashbug, plain old brute-force attacks on SSH logins. This is why SELinux, grsec and PAX should be an opt-out requirement for all Linux distros. You aren't secure otherwise.
>>
Do you know some interesting case where some well known company or webisite was hacked?
>>
Linux is software.
Software is made by humans.
Humans aren't perfect.
Therefore software isn't perfect.
Due to complexity of a project like linux vulnerabilities aren't avoidable
>>
>>53365156
So you can entertain us with "lol guys tried linux and it sucks heres why" threads for another year?

Kek mate, each ruseman on it's own
>>
>>53364852
Servers. It's no surprise either. My server logs always contain failed attempts to bruteforce in. The Chinese are relentless with this shit.
>>
>>53364852
That one time when the gibson was hacked
>>
When you run linux, you're pretty much running a hack.
>>
>>53365050
>Linux, like any OS, is not impervious to hacking and exploits. You could even argue that it's less secure than windows and its security only comes from its obscurity.
Security through obscurity is Windows, not Linux, on the contrary.

Open source (e.g. Linux) enables everyone to verify the code does what it's supposed to, and not what it's not supposed to.

Closed source (e.g. Windows) deprives everyone of independt code inspection, meaning you just have to blindly trust the developers word for it.

>You mostly see Linux systems getting hacked when they're acting as servers. Heartbleed, bashbug, plain old brute-force attacks on SSH logins.
That's OpenSSL, Bash, and OpenSSH, which are unrelated to Linux itself. You can run these software packages on numerous platforms other than Linux.

>This is why SELinux, grsec and PAX should be an opt-out requirement for all Linux distros. You aren't secure otherwise.
This may cause applications to stop functioning which aren't made to run with SELinux, grsecurity, or PaX. Applications which may be critical to you or your business.
>>
>>53364852
> open-source
> hacked
Pick one.
>>
>>53365156

Ashley Madison was the most recent I know of.
>>
>>53364852
several occasions yes, but any system larger than the shit you build in school will have flaws

>>53364881
this is not incorrect

still the best despite that
>>
>>53365050
t. GNU/Tomato
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.