[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Still providing 56K dial-up Internet in 2016 http://www.ear
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5
File: r4B3t4By.jpg (15 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
r4B3t4By.jpg
15 KB, 400x400
Still providing 56K dial-up Internet in 2016

http://www.earthlink.net/dialup/
>>
File: 4L_EtAFqhLi.jpg (186 KB, 690x460) Image search: [Google]
4L_EtAFqhLi.jpg
186 KB, 690x460
>>53361856
>needing more than 56k
>>
Only cucks need more then a Pentium 4, 512MB of Ram, and a 56k internet connection.
>>
File: bill-hader.gif (492 KB, 176x216) Image search: [Google]
bill-hader.gif
492 KB, 176x216
>>53361877
>>
File: iStock_000009717203Medium.jpg (2 MB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
iStock_000009717203Medium.jpg
2 MB, 1600x1200
>as low as $9.95*
>*for the first three months

It's too good to be true!
>>
trickle -sd 7 -u 5 -L 250 ssh localhost -D56000

56k simulation socks proxy
>>
Man, you'd have to use a text-only browser in order to browse modern sites with that shit.
>>
>>53364814
I used to browse 4chan comfortably on a ~130kbps connection.

But I was visiting my grandma, had work to do all day so I just left it running with a few threads on /g/ and /flt/ on auto-refresh.
And every now and then I took a look, read through posts. reply if necessary and go back to whatever I was doing.

Kind of like IRC.
I admit, I had a little bit of nostalgia
>>
>>53361917

>512

Literally pleb tier. Call me when you step it up to 256 faggot
>>
I remember using these guys. It was a simpler time.
>>
netzero actually has 10 free hours of 56k a month, for people who would like 56k nostalgia without a price:

http://store.netzero.net/account/showService.do?serviceId=nz-dialup
>>
There are literally several million people in the US who still subscribe to AOL's dialup feature, in addition to the broadband internet access provided by another company.

Basically AOL is shady as fuck and never made it explicitly clear that they didn't need to continue paying for the service, as it is now essentially free to use, sans live phone support.

The eldery and the stupid get fleeced every day.

Also, there are valid reasons to have a 56k connection in 2016. People in rural communities may not have access to broadband, but certainly have access to telephone infrastructure.
>>
>>53365279
Imagine the following scenario:

>you live out in the boonies but you want to have a decent connection over hardline, fuck satellites and the weather
>you pay for three landlines to your house
>use all three as teamed/bonded connections and a decent computer with three discrete hardmodems in it.
>big SSD for webcache
>big CPU for compression
>Use Opera Mini for browser

What would the experience be like for
-web browsing
-email
-torrenting
-gaming
-streaming
>>
>>53365426
slow
no difference
shit
shit
shit
>>
>>53365426
Terrible. The experience will be terrible.

But it's better than nothing when you're 90 years old, need some way to keep in touch with family and literally don't even know that satellites exist.
>>
>>53365516
>slow

but better than if you didn't do all that shit, or worse?

I was guessing that 56K x 3 = 168kbs + a shitload of compression would get you close to 256kbps DSL
>>
I had ISDN until 2009. You get used to it. I had a squid cache for updates and automated a lot of downloading while i slept. Oh, and I had a job that had broadband.
>>
>>53365551
I bet you also think an 8 core cpu is eight times as fast as a single core
>>
File: dialup-final[1].png (1 MB, 2500x1301) Image search: [Google]
dialup-final[1].png
1 MB, 2500x1301
Oldfags of /g/, why did the internet once was through a telephone line and not... whatever that we use now.
Sadly my first internet was ADSL 1 or 2 Mbps I don't remember so I never used dial up and never really heard that epic sound, basically not know anything about it.
>>
>>53361856
This is for people that live in the middle of nowhere aka farmers and drug lords.
If you're a farmer you don't need to download chinese cartoons so 56k is enough for you.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.