[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey, would Arch Linux with XCFE be a good starting point if i
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3
File: Chink.jpg (80 KB, 960x880) Image search: [Google]
Chink.jpg
80 KB, 960x880
Hey, would Arch Linux with XCFE be a good starting point if i want to try Linux?
>inb4 Ubuntu
Fuck that shit i want to learn something from installing a distro, not just autopilot
>>
>>53359693
Following wiki instructions and not really understanding the shit your copy pasting won't learn you good either.
Install mint. Then learn to linux. Then install Arch.
>>
>>53359693
>Fuck that shit i want to learn something from installing a distro, not just autopilot
Then you need to install Gentoo using only the handbook or LFS instead of Arch.
>>
>>53359693
>Fuck that shit i want to learn something from installing a distro, not just autopilot
Top kek, enjoy your burning computer
>>
>>53359693
If you want to start with arch you can spend a few months learning about how Linux works without even touching a distro. I shouldn't have to tell you how stupid that is. Start with Mint, maybe install awesome if you want some safe fun.
>>
>>53359781
This. Most arch-lovers are just copy-pasting stuff from their wiki and think they are l33t.
>>
I jumped in head first with arch and i3. This was 10 years ago.

You won't regret, that which you forget.
>>
>>53359781
>>53361583
What does "learning Linux" mean?
>>
Arch + XFCE is how I started out.
Still use that combo today
>>
>>53359693
Install Gentoo
>>
>>53359693
Yea, provided you can actually get it installed. It's not that difficult, but if you don't know your way around Linux somewhat, it's not going to make much sense to you. Never fear though, Architect exists to make it easy, just don't expect any help from the Arch community if they find out you used it. And they will find out since you won't know what to tell them about how you went about installing it.

If you're interested in ricing, which is usually why people use Arch, I recommend using Fluxbox + Cairo Composite Manager + Conky + Idesk, and whatever else you wish. I prefer using Tint2 to the panel that comes with Fluxbox, and if you want a dock, Docky is decent. I also prefer using Terminator for my terminal, and PCManFM for my file manager, but try out different ones and use whatever you like best. Conky is a little advanced to get looking really nice, but it's worth learning how to configure it if you want a really nice desktop.

Alternately you could use OpenBox or PekWM. Both are very similar to Fluxbox, but Fluxbox is easier to configure since everything is done by simple text files. You can change absolutely every tiny aspect of it easily. I think OpenBox might be a bit more commonly used though.

Of course I'd say also install Xfce and use that while you get enough of a feel for Fluxbox to make it into what you want. Xfce is the one I used first, and stuck with when I first starting using Linux exclusively. The only two DEs I absolutely hate though are Gnome and Unity. Other than that, I found stuff to like about the others, I just liked Xfce the most. At least until I started messing around with WMs.
>>
If you think your good enough, then by all means go for it. But you won't learn anything if you don't understand what's going on. My advice is to get Fedora and hack at it until you know your OS like the back of your hand, then install arch or Gentoo. Hopefully this helps and Godspeed.
>>
>>53361604
to watch anime and fap to trade thten
starting to wear long socks and post daily on desktop and battlestation thread
the final step is taking cock in the ass and sucking dick
>>
>>53359693
Just install anything linux then learn some shell scripting. If you want to try Arch + XFCE go for it, worst case scenario is you won't succeed.
Trying in a VM first costs nothing btw.
>>
>>53361599
> I jumped in head first with arch and i3. This was 10 years ago.

i3 was released 6 years ago.
>>
Debian works, too.
If you mean learn beyond using it, that requires you to learn general operating systems
>>
>>53362474
Debian is autopilot, even the "standard" install comes with bullshit like unbound.
>>
File: image.jpg (5 KB, 300x57) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
5 KB, 300x57
>>53359824
git gud.
>>
Your better off spending several months messing with Linux on a Virtual Machine rather then using it as a desktop replacement. You will break things, and it gets really frustrating having to start over again when it's something you rely on for your desktop/home use. Also, start off with a goal of setting up a server or whatever first. Ignore using a desktop environment at first, learn your commands and read up.
>>
I think you overestimate how much you learn from installing arch linux.
If you want to learn, study it like it was any subject.
Spend time learning the file system. Learn the different editors, ed, vim, emacs,
Learn regular expressions and applications like grep, sed awk.
Learn about xorg and wayland.
Write applications, first in bash, then in a compiled language.
Make an application that works in a unix pipeline. Learn git, make and cmake.
Make your own repository and see what it means to maintain packages.
Try docker.
Set up a server.
It will require you to make a lot of configurations and do a lot of reading to figure out how the services work and how you want to configure them.

That is how you learn linux.
Not by installing arch and claim internet points.
>>
>>53362688
>Learn how to use these GNU programs and other third party programs like vim and X
>That's how you "learn Linux"!
The only thing you mentioned that has to do with the Linux kernel is filesystems. And git, by association, I suppose.
>>
I don't care about learning Linux, but I've been thinking about using it instead if windows for opsec reasons. so for someone with little to know tech knowledge, mint would be a good place to start? it won't be on my main machine.

>inb4 pedo
>>
File: bait.png (75 KB, 1252x1252) Image search: [Google]
bait.png
75 KB, 1252x1252
>>53362995
>mint
>security
>>
OK so I was reading wikipedia , if Ubuntu is so bad why is it the most popular ?
>>
>>53363336
It's not bad.
>>
>>53362761
well clearly we all talk about the gnu/linux desktop, It doesn't matter if you learn the gnu version, the busybox version or the bsd version.
All the tools I mentioned is surrounding the gnu/linux desktop.

What would you suggest that he should learn in order to learn about the kernel?
>>
>>53363336
Ubuntu isn't bad. Unity is bad. Just use one of its many non-Unity versions and you're golden.
>>
>>53363107
>website gets hacked
>suddenly all existing installs are unsafe
Wew
>>
>>53365170
All existing installs were already unsafe before the attack senpai
>>
>>53365432
SELINUX IS AN NSA PROJECT
>>
>>53365595
Indeed, i don't see how that is relevant to Mint though
>>
>>53363927
https://buildroot.org/ + RPi
>>
>>53362684

I disagree. If you don't use it as a replacement for Windows, chances are you never will. It's too easy to just play around with it enthusiastically for a few days, and then go back to Windows, never looking back. If it's the only OS you are using, then you will use it. When you hit a roadblock you'll figure it out because you have to.

I would recommend starting with Mint of Manjaro for most people, but anyone who is dedicated to learning how could feasibly start with Fedora, Arch or Slackware, but almost certainly not Gentoo. And yes, I consider Fedora to be slightly more advanced than typical beginner distros, because of it's stance against non-free drivers. It's easy as fuck if you don't want/need something non-free, but if you do then as a beginner it's going to be a complete pain in the ass trying to figure out how to install it.

Anyway OP, I applaud you if you do feel up to the challenge. You'll find a lot of elitist assholes, especially in the Arch and Gentoo communities, but don't pay them any mind. Everyone was a beginner at first. Don't be afraid of failing, because you can learn a lot from it. No matter what distro you choose, at some point you are going to hit a wall, or royally fuck-up somewhere. That's just a fact of life.

Sometimes you may not be able to figure out how to fix it and have to start over (pro tip: always keep /home on a separate partition). That's a very good reason why you shouldn't just blindly cut and paste shit you find through Google. Unfortunately you'll also find a lot of nice, friendly and eager-to-help folks, who are in fact dumb-asses. That's one thing I learned quickly about OpenBSD: if it's not found in the manual, or the book Absolute OpenBSD, then be very fucking careful about trusting it. Unfortunately you won't find OpenBSD-tier documentation anywhere in Linux, though Arch and Gentoo both are above average there. And before someone accuses me of shilling it, no, you really should not start with OpenBSD.
>>
>>53359693
>Fuck that shit i want to learn something from installing a distro
Arch isn't that challenging. Not the best if you want to learn.
Doing a manual instal of Void, with full disk encryption and /boot on a removable drive taught me:
>creation and management of logical volumes
>chroot
>fstab management of partitions and ramdisks
>grub config
>setting up services with runit
>wifi configuration from scratch (iw, wpa_supplicant, wpa_cli, dhcpcd, dnsmasq)
>iptables
>Xorg config and video driver config
>>
>>53365595

Calm down autismo, it's been independently audited.
>>
>>53366142
This.

When I first got into Linux, Arch attracted me with its simplistic approach. Yes, following the wiki + a Jewtube tutorial or two would get you a working DE, but that's all you need to get started learning about the system's operation.

Install Mint only if you're lazy as fuck and don't necessarily need to learn anything about the software's internals.
>>
>>53362364
This is true. The second I had a throbbing black cock in my mouth I knew everything about Linux command line
>>
This is pretty much exactly why arch is seen as a meme.

>I want to try Linux
>FUCK ubuntu

You, quite literally, don't know what you're talking about, and have fallen for a meme because you think it will make you fit in with other internet hipsters.

Let me pose a serious question - do you actually VISIT desktop threads or any arch thread after 60 posts? Arch users "band together" when there's another distro in the thread but as soon as it's gone, they find some obscure thing to hate each other on. You cannot win. So use ubuntu.
>>
>>53367596
I ain't some little fairy tweaking their operating system to have some floozy set his wallpaper. I ain't some twink using pastel colors and posting it to get ratings. I don't want the "Ubuntu Experience". I want to use a real OS.
>>
>>53367755
Yeah uh huh. Do you even know what "real OS" means. Do you even know one difference between ubuntu and arch linux except that one is supposedly a "noob" distro which is repeating the meme verbatim. What do you plan to do with your real OS? If you don't have a task or plan ("muh learning" isn't a reason) then the only place this CAN end up is ricing.

Similar thread is when people ask "recommend me a distro without systemd" and they don't even know what an init system is.
>>
>>53359693
Yes, you can most definitely do that. But it'll be hard and frustrating, albeit rewarding.

To draw an analogy, installing Ubuntu would be like taking swimming classes, whereas installing arch would be like getting thrown into the pool and left to fend off for yourself.
>>
>>53359693
>starting point if i want to try Linux
Use Manjaro or Antergos. Try Arch in VM.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.