[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Moving from win 10 to arch right now. Im about to install A DE.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7
File: download.png (4 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
download.png
4 KB, 225x225
Moving from win 10 to arch right now. Im about to install A DE. I have done my research, but Im not sure which one is best. All I really want is to be able to make it look nice.
The closest linux experience I have is Cisco routers (Inb4 BSD unix). What am I in for?
>>
File: 1456001212274.gif (930 KB, 270x270) Image search: [Google]
1456001212274.gif
930 KB, 270x270
>>53359549
xfce imo
>>
>>That is what I was originally going to use. What makes it better than Gnome?
>>
>>53359549
Cinnamon. Ignore all the faggots and try it out yourself
>Looks kinda okay ootb
>Not a timesink DE
>Everything GNOME3 should have been
>Beautiful desktop effects by default
>>
>>53359549
>https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/desktop_environment

Try Budgie, it's really neat, and it does not look like it's from '95 like rest of the Linux DEs
>>
>>53359577
xfce is buggy as fuck. try budgie, cinammon, or a wm. you can even talk to budgie's devs directly and they'll actually care unlike xfce.
>>
well i fucked the install. I had it working previously with gnome installed but terminal wouldnt open. So this will be my third retry. will start again tomorrow
>>
sudo pacman -S plasma-desktop

Or if your computer sucks ass
sudo pacman -S xfce4
>>
there is no arch linux user who haven't tried all desktop environments and all window managers

so... have fun
>>
>>53359819
I see distrowatch has a recent addition.
Solus features budgie desktop and can be run as live dvd.
Haven't tried it myself tho.
>>
>>53359843
>xfce is buggy as fuck
You're thinking of Plasma 5. Xfce is comfy and low maintenance
>>
Just install Mint (CInnamon).
>>
File: archinstall.jpg (519 KB, 2170x1070) Image search: [Google]
archinstall.jpg
519 KB, 2170x1070
plasma (KDE)
xfce on shitty computers
>>
I've been going with gnome 3 for quite a while, its okay, but the only reason i have for using it is because it scales with 4k
>>
>>53360464
Normally i would use a WM like openbox, cause of lightweight and customizability
>>
>>53359549
>All I really want is to be able to make it look nice.
#triggered
>>
>>53360429
fucken saved, pretty much a complete and simple guide.

>people still memeing about how cool they are and how "hard" arch is
>>
>>53359549
Arch user here. Arch is a distro with a DIY approach that doesn't try to decide for you or guess what you want, i don't recommend it for you unless you know linux and its components very well and you know exactly what you want. Personally i recommend you any ubuntu flavor (xubuntu and kubuntu are my favorites) or mint. If you choose ubuntu always take the latest LTS (in this case the 14.04 version) because they're the recommended versions for most users and are pretty solid in general.
>>
>>53360483
>arch
>windows manager
>the every desktop on g meme
>>
>>53359549
I dont know if building a system from scratch, specially with a bleeding edge distro, is good for a begginer, maybe you want to try something else before?

Anyways regarding the question, if you wanna make it look like desktop threads, not necessarily with animu gurls everywhere, people usually use a wm, like openbox, i3 or awesome.
If you want a DE I like xfce and KDE the most, but I've always end up going back to awesome wm, you should just see what calls your attention and try it for a while.
>>
>>53360523
is not very hard actually and is very fast to install once you know how to do it, however i don't think is a good option for those who are starting with linux by any means imo.
>>
>>53360387
>You're thinking of Plasma 5. Xfce is comfy and low maintenance
try kde on opensuse leap, you will give up your meme desktop
>>
>>53360523
It's not the complete guide though, it has errors.
>add archlinuxfr repo to pacman.conf
Top kek

>>53360576
I've tried it on Tumbleweed and gave up. The functionality is tempting, but I can't build a workable OS out of something that crashes twice a day or otherwise stumbles on completely trivial tasks. What's worse, the prospect of actually fixing shit is pretty slim - many bugs persist since Plasma 4 and nobody gave a rat's ass about them.
>close Gwenview on a gif file, it crashes every time
>this bug is now 6 years old
Dear god what the fuck

I used to be a naive KDEfag, now I want something that at least works
>>
If I do not want a login manager, how do I do?
>>
>>53360623
what errors? i dont see any
oh perhaps he doesnt mention fucking around with dirmngr in /root because someone fucked up something
>>
Xfce is shit. Try mate mate
>>
>>53360623
try it with leap, literally zero errors fampai
>>
dude, it is not even hard. I had no prior unix experience and installed ubuntu the first time, after two days I decided to install arch because of the /g/ hype. just follow the wiki beginner guide and research the things you do not understand.
>>
>>53360789
From what I can recall, having more than one activity while using two monitors is a nightmare, they'd get mixed up in ridiculous and desktop breaking ways. I have a vertical panel, and everytime I log into the desktop the icons are at a different size. Everything crashes, everything - even scrolling up on an empty desktop crashed it once or twice. Many of the system menus tend to be poor to navigate without a mouse, really funny shit when Linux just decided that it should stop working. Then there's a lot of small things that wouldn't bother me if there were a couple of them, but they're literally everywhere - like my panel suddenly going on vacation when I plug in a second monitor, or the "customize taskbar" menu's Default feature actually not working, or the Drkonqi debug symbols being a goddamn journey to actually download, all to report a fucking bug.

>>53360842
Why should I though, when Xfce fits all of my use cases and I don't have to worry about what's going to fuck up next?
>>
Alright OP, if you're going full meme you gotta do it right.

First off fuck a WM it's 2 0 1 6

Second get i3 and use a tiling manager like the rest of your fammis
>>
File: daily_os.png (23 KB, 387x425) Image search: [Google]
daily_os.png
23 KB, 387x425
>What am I in for?
Memes
>>
Is Arch going to be your first venture into Linux?
>>
>>53359577
Filthy disease-ridden vermin as mascot.
No thanks.
>>
>can't decide what DE
Then CDE is for you. It was the standard DE that others copied (poorly)
>>
>>53362135
>Starndard DE
>In Linux
heh
>>
search for screenshots of gnome, xfce, unity, kde and cinamon - then decide; also if you have to ask "what DE should I use" avoid Arch (comes from arch user) and install it when you start to catch yourself saying - this shouldn't be here, I wander what is different in zen or ck kernel.
>>
File: 1456706061386.jpg (108 KB, 639x994) Image search: [Google]
1456706061386.jpg
108 KB, 639x994
>>53359843
No offense. But how the hell is xfce buggy? Always been pure stable for me.I would use compton as a compoister as well of course.
>>
>>53363313
He could always use evolution installer. hate it or love it. it works well
>>
>>53359549
Why do you think that you are so special that you need your own thread? Fuck off to >>>/g/flt
>>
File: arch.webm (735 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
arch.webm
735 KB, 1024x768
>arch
>>
>>53363313
And when you start asking yourself that, install Gentoo because by then Arch will be shit to you.
>>
>>53359549
What wrong with FreeBSD?
>>
>>53359549
>from win10 to arch
you should try xubuntu, ubuntu, or linux mint instead
>>
>>53359549
Fuck off cancer fag.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.