[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How viable is this as a basic computer? And other single board
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: ODROID-C2_highresolution.png (1 MB, 1280x908) Image search: [Google]
ODROID-C2_highresolution.png
1 MB, 1280x908
How viable is this as a basic computer?
And other single board computers in general.
Or are they just a DIY media player?
>>
>>53358326
Can you do most of your work in terminals and text editors? If so, than it's fine
>>
With an Odroid-C2 looks perfectly possible because 2GB RAM
>>
>>53358326
>How viable is this as a basic computer?
Good enough for media playback, browsing, text editing and basic image editing I guess. The one thing the normies I chat with always want that would be a problem is Skype, but I hear Skype has a beta web app now.
>Or are they just a DIY media player?
They're also great as home ftp/vpn/http/mail servers

Be aware that the C2 doesn't come with ANY storage by default though.
>>
>>53358449
My "work" is mostly shitposting, chatting and video watching.

>>53358482
>because 2GB RAM
That's actually the only part I'm worried about, 2GB is nothing for a modern browser.
But 4GB isn't the standard yet, only high end smartphones and the Nvidia Jetson board have 4GBs.
The Jetson TX1 is great but it's also 600 fucking dollars.

>>53358513
>but I hear Skype has a beta web app now
Yeah, it works well.
Just like Microsoft, I don't even bother with the native client on Linux.

>Be aware that the C2 doesn't come with ANY storage by default though.
I've got an external HDD, if it can boot from that it would be neat. Or I could get an SD card.
>>
>>53358513
Yeah, storage is the one area where they're all really lacking.
None of the sub $50 ones have SATA3 or USB3 and I don't think SD cards have anywhere near as good endurance ratings as SSDs.
It does have Gb ethernet though. I don't know how usable it would be, but you could have an NFS share from a NAS mapped to /home.
>>
File: a.png (141 KB, 1354x281) Image search: [Google]
a.png
141 KB, 1354x281
>>53358596
>2GB is nothing for a modern browser.
i'm sure you can work something out

(the "184" on the right is the open tab count, though not all of them are loaded)
>>
You might as well get a C2D machine.

You could probably find one in the trash, or pay very little for it.
>>
>>53358631
The Orange Pi Plus 2 have SATA2 port, 2GB RAM and 8 or 16GB eMMC memory integrated. In aliexpress is about 50$
>>
>>53358728
why would you want another tower when a small board can do it just as well well for less than half the price?
>>
Very viable, I'd say. I've been using a fairly heavily over clocked Pi 2 as a music player and web browsing machine for a while and it's much slower than the C2.
>>
>>53358728
Yeah obviously. For a bit more money I could get an Latitude E4200 laptop with a 64GB SSD and 6 months warranty, but I like the idea of a single board computer to play around with, just worried it might end up as a paperweight.
I think I'll wait for the next revisions of the Odroid or some other single board computer comes with 4GB of RAM, so I'm sure it's going to be viable.
>>
>>53358728
And then pay 10x the money saved in electricity.
>>
>>53358773
Everybody that gets it besides Ben Heck keeps it as a paper weight. Save your money, or invest in AMD stock or some shit.
>>
>>53358767
>Just as well
No can not....

>>53358836
Oh stop being a faggot.
>>
>>53358596
>My "work" is mostly shitposting, chatting and video watching.
The C2 should easily handle this. If you really want more horsepower get the XU4.
>>
I have one because I couldnt watch youtube on the pi2 and browsing was too slow

id say its ok, you can watch 720p vids and surf le internet smoothly, everything above that - no
>>
>>53359111
Oh wait, I have the XU4
>>
>>53358326
Depends on what you do on a basic computer. 10-20 tabs of browser is probably fine. 200 browser tabs left open running web apps over months is probably not.
>>
File: phil.jpg (40 KB, 520x650) Image search: [Google]
phil.jpg
40 KB, 520x650
Just get an intel compute stick.
>>
I'm probably gonna wait until one of these badboys gets some stacked HBM on it; no reason to use one of these until they can cheaply get more than 4gb RAM on them.
>>
>>53359410
Why Intel and not ARM?
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.