[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /g/, lurker here, but I could use your guys' advice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 7
Hey /g/, lurker here, but I could use your guys' advice as I'm still a fucking retard when it comes to specs.

Yes it's another shitty suggestion thread, but any help is appreciated.

Getting a new laptop, only laptop I've ever had was a MacBook Pro, and it's really not doing too well.

I'm a CS major, and really all I'm after is a store bought laptop that I can really make the most of now that I know what I'm doing, along with not crawling when running steam applications or emulators. Are MSI laptops any good? I was between that and an ASUS, but still really unsure. Budget is like $1500, but not afraid to go over, as I need something that'll last me for a long while.

Also I've gotten used to the track pad shortcuts on the Mac, do other laptops have that sort of thing? That and a backlit keyboard are a huge plus for me. Of course battery life has gotta be good, and probably the best selling point as well along with memory, but do I really need like a TB?

Thanks for the time and consideration, all help is appreciated, apologies in advance if I don't know what I'm talking about
>>
>>53343506
What are you looking for in a laptop?
>>
File: FB_IMG_1447078843347.jpg (36 KB, 419x377) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1447078843347.jpg
36 KB, 419x377
>>53343576
Long lasting, able to run several applications at once, and just generally quick.

I really wish I knew how to talk specs though so I could be more specific
>>
>>53343603
I would say for you to look for a second gen i-series with at least 8GB of RAM. The type of Laptop you're looking for might matter ie: Thinkpad or an Asus so I'd start looking at a website like newegg and start putting what specs you want.

My ID might change since I'll be going to work soon, but I'll still be able to help.
>>
>>53343682
Thanks man that's super helpful.

Never had good experiences with ThinkPad though, but I've only used those extremely low budget ones with the big red circle in the center.

Really useful info about the second gen i-series, I'll get back to you on what I find
>>
Warning, Asus trackpad drivers suck nuts. They try to do some windows 8 gestures at the expense of literally every other function of the trackpad. I found done replacement drivers on the Asus ROG forum that completely removed the gestures and only did basic trackpad features, then the trackpad was good
>>
>>53343786
Now see this is why I ask about stuff like this. Thanks man, wasn't too much of a detour for you was it?
>>
Those MSI gaming laptops are pretty cool if you want a 1920x1080 screen and mechanical keyboard. I don't know how long they last though.
>>
>>53343810
Installing the driver was easy. Just Before you buy, Google the model you plan on getting to see if somebody has posted old or replacement drivers. Then when you get it you gotta disable auto driver updates for the trackpad (I think in device manager) or else windows will "update" you to the shit ass version
>>
>>53343764
What's your budget? Please just gimme the price what you wanna spend give or take few tens of bucks/euros/whereverthefuckyouare
>>
File: Laytontea.jpg (47 KB, 599x333) Image search: [Google]
Laytontea.jpg
47 KB, 599x333
>>53343927
Said in the OP, but around $1500. Willing to spend up to $2000 though if it's something that'll last me.
>>53343682
I found what I think looks like a good one from Best Buy, an Asus with a TB memory and 12GB RAM, but all of the other stuff that they list just looks like flashy things, and I don't know how to wade through it and make a good comparison with others, and that's my main issue.

Here's the link if interested: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-17-3-laptop-intel-core-i7-12gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-silver-copper-black/4453403.p?id=1219749489377&skuId=4453403

From what I can tell it seems fine, but I just don't know about all those add-ons
>>
>>53343506
Lenovo calls a lot of shitty laptops 'thinkpads' but the T series are the good ones.

You want something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834313704&ignorebbr=1

I did not check up on the specific processor/GPU in that to compare to other thinkpads.

Basically any i7 (or i5) is going to be good, but some are better/cheaper than other
>>
>>53344052
>http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-17-3-laptop-intel-core-i7-12gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-silver-copper-black/4453403.p?id=1219749489377&skuId=4453403

Real good specs but Windows 10 nahhh
Get something that runs/has native windows 7 or 8.1 (pushing it) drivers if you want to use windows. If you don't play games, don't go windows
>>
File: SURELYYOUJESTIN.jpg (65 KB, 640x592) Image search: [Google]
SURELYYOUJESTIN.jpg
65 KB, 640x592
>>53344142
Is it that important for it to natively run Windows 7? Could I not just downgrade to it from Windows 10, or is it just the fact that the computer was basically built to run around 10 and its interface?

I've been a macfag for so long that I never really paid too close attention to the differences, I just know that 8 is shit
>>
File: yeswonder.gif (2 MB, 606x525) Image search: [Google]
yeswonder.gif
2 MB, 606x525
>>53344142
In any case this looks super good so far, only concerned about the weight and size in my bag, but that shouldn't be too big of an issue.

Thank you guys, you've been super helpful. Not fully decided yet, but this is a front runner.
>>
>>53344177
>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834313704&ignorebbr=1

Not gonna lie I'm using 8.1 for my gaming machine, never ever even see that brick interface in 8.1 and everything supports it.

I feel it is relatively important yeah because manufacturers aren't gonna support drivers for earlier windows versions for the machine, though I suppose you could look up if there's workaround drivers for the earlier versions for that model.. Which is why I suggest native
>>
File: The fuck Hater.png (811 KB, 1280x680) Image search: [Google]
The fuck Hater.png
811 KB, 1280x680
I should probably let this rest since you guys have basically already told me what to look for, but I found another with higher specs and a lower price: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-rog-17-3-laptop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-black/4714300.p?id=1219807029424&skuId=4714300#tabbed-customerreviews

Things seem a bit fishy since I can't really find what caused the price to be lower, but how do I stop this shit from happening? I feel like no matter what I do I'm always gonna miss out on some best option
>>
>>53344593
That always happens with technology, the only thing you can do is make the best of what you got.
>>
Do we just break the rules here like no other board?

Not that I care, these threads are usually informative.
>>
>>53346268
Sorry man, I know it's not what the board is for, but you guys are knowledgeable, and everyone's been super nice so far. Thanks again guys I think I'm set
>>
Get the newest Dell business line with dedicated graphics.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.