[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So? Vulkan or Direct X12?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 3
File: getthumbnail.aspx.jpg (56 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
getthumbnail.aspx.jpg
56 KB, 600x300
So? Vulkan or Direct X12?
>>
>>53341781
Mantle.
>>
it depends on project requirements
>>
>>53341813
Mantle is dead and never ever coming back. Ever. Get it through your head.
>>
>>53341821
But vulkan is its successor
>>
Vulkan, runs on any OS

DX12 is shit and only runs on BOTNET

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/mar/04/microsoft-monopolise-pc-games-development-epic-games-gears-of-war
>>
>>53341781
Why are you even asking this? You are not programming in either! You will play the games and probably not even be aware of which it is using.
>>
Vulkan
DirectX is the cancer that literally sets PC gaming back by a mile (no support for loonix/OS X)
>>
>>53341857
This game is played by maybe only 2% of legit users.
Games are dying because nobody want to pay for playing.
>>
>>53342108
There are games on linux and osx too.
Not the shits from America or Asia but who cares about them now?
>>
https://youtu.be/Eab2UI1Iq2w
>>
>>53341781
Obviously OpenGL, try harder next time.
>>
>>53342127
there are, but a minority
if microshaft werent monopolising DirectX to wangblows only, loonix would have a far higher chance of having its year
>>
>>53342108
>(no support for loonix/OS X)
Not a single gamer uses those OS's.
>>
Vulkan. Definitely Vulkan.
The only device that doesn't support it is the Xbox One which I don't give a shit about.
>>
>>53342163
I am not sure about it since almost all legit gamers are 37 years-old women with android tablets.
>>
>>53342171
The xbox is like windows, a microsoft background project...
>>
>>53342163
I'm using OSX as my main OS, and have a Win7 copy on my desktop with pretty decent specs, I'd love it if I could completely ditch Windows. But that won't be happening because of all the games that wouldn't work with vulkan or that would be Windows only.
>>
>>53341781
Both!
>>
>>53342298
I wish my desktop supported VT-d so I could just have windows as a guest for Gaming.
>>
>>53342321
If I'd knew about an easy way to run a VM with Windows on OSX that could pass through my GPU and other potential hardware aspects then yeah, that would be perfect, I'd install Hackintosh since the parts I went for are fully compatible.
>>
Dx12 because I'm not an open sores cuck
>>
Vulkan simply because it's cross platform. Especially since mobile gaming is big business.
>>
Vulkan will probably be the future if they don't fuck it up. Directx has worked no problems for decades now while vulkan is still in development. I highly doubt vulkan is going to suck since they cant afford to fuck it up but we will know once it comes out
>>
>>53341781
>Vulkan
>FOSS
>open standard
>community-developed
>available on just about every platform

>DirectX 12
>proprietary
>closed development
>platform-exclusive
>>
No doubt im gonna leave this shitty windows 10. I absolutely the lack of actual anything on here.

If vulkan does what it says it will do for games. Im fucking throwing away my windows copy. I can finally use Linux as my only os
>>
>>53342421
forgot your smug frog image m8.
>>
>>53343838
>OpenGL
>FOSS
>open standard
>community-developed
>available on just about every platform

>DirectX 9/11
>proprietary
>closed development
>platform-exclusive
>>
>>53343211
Vulkan is out
>>
>>53341781
windows only? dx12. multiplatform? vulkan.
>>
>>53343211
>Directx has worked no problems for decades now

Only if your're a botnet user.
>>
>>53342163
I do, and the only reason i'm using windows is because I have to for certain games.
>>
>>53345006
Vulkan is bound to replace OpenGL. Vulkan's code name is GLNext.

At the current rate of adoption, Vulkan will replace openGL in coming years..
>>
>>53341781
Vulkan is likely going to be SLIGHTLY inferior to DX12 on windows, and DX12 makes for easy XBOne/Windows porting.
But Vulkan is open and works on ARM and most of recent x86 hardware, regardless of OS.

the market has room for both, but the old OpenGL will die as people migrate to the two new APIs. Mantle is dead and replaced with Vulkan, it was a success in its mission.
>>
Vulkan will be as successful as opengl. Which is to say, it wont be used for crap on Windows pc and will slowly take over shity phone game engines. It will rarely be used directly for research purposes.
>>
>>53341821
>>53341832
>>53341813
vulkan is basically mantle.

>>53341781
DX deserve to die. Windows, and to extend, microsoft, deserve death too.
>>
>>53342117
>Gare are dying because nobody want to pay for shitty games
FTFY

When a company does again and again and again the same game for years it will end dying. If they innovate and do something great, something new, they'll survive.
>>
>>53345445
>SLIGHTLY inferior to DX12 on windows
And tell me how inferior to DX 12 it will be on windows 7, 8, linux or OS X ?
Oh wait..

We can't say if it will be inferior or not, but I think they will be almost the same in performances.
That vulkan is better wouldn't surprise me.
That DX12 is better (something noticeable with the same amount of work on the optimisation of the code) would surprise me.

But I think we should look at the facts right now as they are :
>vulkan is crossplatform
>users are tired of windows (but that point doesn't matter)
>developers are tired of windows (that's an important point)
>vulkan is supported by a lot of people on the game industry (blizzard, unity, UE, valve, etc.)

We will see more games using vulkan than DX in the future. Question is : when will we see them ?
>>
>>53341781
Death to microshit.
>>
>>53342117
>Games are dying because nobody want to pay for playing.

That's like the exact opposite problems we're seeing. Gaming is simply being infested with people who pay to play games that are nothing but microtransactions or just safe purchases.
>>
I want to interject for a moment. What you are referring to as DirectX, is in fact, Direct3D, or as I have taken to calling it, Direct Three Dimensional.
>>
>>53347037
direct3d is a component of directx, you can do better
>>
>>53347093
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Direct 3D, is in fact, DirectX/Direct 3D, or as I've recently taken to calling it, DirectX plus Direct 3D. Direct 3D is not an API unto itself, but rather another proprietary component of a fully functioning DirectX system made useful by the XDA utilities and vital display components comprising a full Windows OS as defined by Microsoft.
>>
>>53347152
that's more like it
>>
>>53342140
Metro isn't really a good example, because the Linux version is missing effects. Tesselation is completely gone for example, which makes a lot of the models look like absolute garbage.
>>
>"omg guys you hear about mantle! It allows low level api so it'll be better and faster!"
>year later DirectX 12 with low level api comes out
>freetards btfo
>>
File: vulkan btfo.png (837 KB, 1493x512) Image search: [Google]
vulkan btfo.png
837 KB, 1493x512
See for yourself, OP.
>>
>>53345445
DX12 is slow as fuck compared to Vulkan (especially when it comes to command list management and asynchronous operations).
>>
>>53347507
is this a meme?
>>
>>53342171
It's not on Mac either
>>
vulkan ofcourse
>>
>>53347721
Evidence?
>>
Go home, Microsoft shills, your shitty API has been destroyed just like everything else you ever make.

It's over. Close shop. You're done. Your glory days of fooling idiots is long gone.
>>
>>53341781
From a performance standpoint, Vulkan just came out and the results are pretty promising, but we still have to wait and see
>>
>>53341857
>http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/mar/04/microsoft-monopolise-pc-games-development-epic-games-gears-of-war

You can see where this is leading, through Microsoft. They effectively want to rid the computing public of general purpose computing. This is the beginning.
>>
>>53349446
Not yet, I'd say. I could see Apple give up on Metal and adopt Vulkan. I can't see MS doing a similar thing with the Xbox.
>>
>>53349582
>I could see Apple give up on Metal and adopt Vulkan.

Apple would probably try to buy Villan or make themselves with you it by using because of some pattent shit, that's the only way I can see them adopting Vulkan.
>>
>>53341781
Vulkan obviously.
Is this even a question?
>>
>>53342117
That's only true for bethesda titles.

Not only do they have to pay, but they have to fix the game to play it properly.
>>
>>53347507
The difference in quality is clearly due to the GPU working 100% to render the 4K Ultra HD Vulkan logo compared to ancient DirectX of such shitty visual quality that it can be rendered using less than 1% of the power of a pre-90s GPU.
>>
>>53341781
When devs won't use either api and stick to dx11.

Doesn't MS have DX 12 locked behind UWP
>>
The success of Vulkan will be directly correlated with the fragmentation of the OS, CPU and GPU market.

There as been an overwhelming trend of consolidation in these markets for the last few years. It doesn't look good.
>>
>>53341781
Vulkan.
>>
There needs to be an organized grassroots campaign to destroy DX12.

Microsoft is advertising DX12 heavily as well as giving incentives for developers and GPU companies to push DX12.
Khronos can't really do the same for Vulkan. But unlike the early DX vs OpenGL days individuals can exert more influence now.

A careful campaign of FUD to destroy DX12s reputation amongst /v/ermin, targeting upcomming DX12 games developers with demands for Vulkan versions, Steam curator groups threatening to boycott dx12 games and shitposting across social media and tech website comments sections. MS did this to kill openGL support in the early 2000s, but now it's easier for users to use these tricks. We can finally have revenge for a decade of garbage 3d APIs, we can take microsofts favorite API for vendor lock in away from them and destroy it.
>>
>>53350491
>Doesn't MS have DX 12 locked behind UWP

if this is true, DX12 is DoA
>>
>>53353297
DEATH TO DX12
>>
>>53341781
Machine code
>>
>>53353327
>if this is true, DX12 is DoA
Not at the moment, they are trying to kill vulkan off so they can then lock dx12 to UWP and force everyone onto the w10 store without fear of everyone escaping to other platforms.

If DX12 wins you won't be able to prevent it and you will be stuck with UWP apps for anything using 3d, games, 3d modeling, 2d drawing programs using DX, all fucked.

The only way to prevent it is to stop DX12 becoming the primary desktop 3d API.
>>
File: it's happening.gif (973 KB, 312x213) Image search: [Google]
it's happening.gif
973 KB, 312x213
>>53353592
>>
>>53353592
>Not at the moment
So no.
>>
>>53341781
this is worse than the "Iron man vs Batman" thread on /tv/ yesterday
>>
>>53345445
>XBOne/Windows porting.
those games will all run like shit though. See Gears of War
>>
>>53353809
I thought it was locked to UWP, but they weren't forcing all DX12 software into the Windows Store exclusively.
>>
>>53353943
hitman is dx12 and on steam
>>
>>53342163
Obviously, because you're forced to use Microsoft at this point.
>>
>>53354081
Like I said they weren't forcing all DX12 games into the Windows Store but they were all going to be using the virtual machine crap.
>>
>>53353943
>I thought it was locked to UWP, but they weren't forcing all DX12 software into the Windows Store exclusively.
They wont as long a viable alternative remains a threat to DX.

They don't even have to lock it to get what they want. They can degrade DX12 performance on win32 programs to push people to use UWP.

Or they can remove win32 support from the consumer version and make it exclusive to an expensive enterprise version. They may consider a free UWP only version of windows, all the OEMs will use it.

I don't know if they could get away with removing win32 support via a patch, they could try to say it's for security and gives a large performance boost by removing the registery. Maybe 50% chance they could pull it off without enraging normies. They could limit win32 to some sandboxed vm that has limited performance as well.
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.