[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Building a PC
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: required reading.jpg (50 KB, 388x500) Image search: [Google]
required reading.jpg
50 KB, 388x500
I'm sure /g/ gets about 3,000 of these threads a week, so I'll keep it brief: Where does /g/ send clueless nitwits like myself who have never built their own computer before and need to be shown the ropes because they won't even understand your numbers and acronyms without an attached explanation?
>>
>>53341040
That would be google anon.

Have fun.
>>
>>53341040
http://www.logicalincrements.com/
Nothing else is required. No experience, no knowledge.
>>
they are like lego bricks, or a vagina, OP

once you see the insides you instinctively know what to do.
>>
this fucker knows his shit

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmWNCO9wSjzOz1UV8jCvIHA
>>
>>53341040
youtube search: NCIX (or) linustechtips
>>
>>53341047
That might be a smidge too general for me, but thank you for your advice.

>>53341069
>>53341157
>>53341185
This is much more specific and I'm sure will be very useful, thank you very much /g/uys.

>>53341141
That's what I heard. I just wanted to be sure I knew all of the most important things before just blindly jumping in.

According to >>53341069, there look to be 9 vital pieces of a PC: Graphics Card, CPU, Heatsink, Motherboard, RAM, Hard Drive, Solid State Drive, Power Supply, and Case. Aside from the more obvious peripherals like a keyboard and screen, will I need anything else? Or does a working computer really only have less than 10 pieces?

While I'm here, I might as well also ask: How long do computers that you build yourself last? I'm guessing you can just upgrade them part by part more or less indefinitely, but again, that's just a guess.
>>
Everything you buy comes with instructions.
>>
>>53341310
Built mine in 2011, haven't had the need to upgrade. I fear my GPU might be giving up, though.
>>
>>53341040
Try reading sticky anon.
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC
>>
>>53341310
I build my first pc from scratch in 2009.
I looked up a bunch of youtube videos and read a few articles online. That's all there is to it. Just watch out for static electricity and everything else is like legos.

I always hand picked components by reading up on benchmarks and the like on my previous pre-builds and had experience upgrading them when I didn't much care on breaking them.

When I was 12 I took apart my PS2 for fun, it came out in about 25 pieces, then build it back up. Worked like a charm.
I also had experience with audio gear as a child, consoles, speakers, cables, amplifiers, dj racks etc. I literally took the stuff from my father who was in the concert business, set it all up and through parties on my own when I was 10.
I'm talking expensive gear, EV speakers, Shure microphones, Pioneer cd racks, Behringer mixers etc.

It's really easy once you've done it at least once.
>>
>>53341386
Shit, not sure how I missed that. Thanks.

>>53341376
>>53341541
That's pretty impressive! I don't think I've ever had a store-bought computer last that long.

How do you work around static electricity? Is an antistatic strap a necessity, or is there a way to work around it? They don't look expensive at all, but they also don't look especially complex.
>>
>>53341310
well, the only problem you might run into is trying to put ram with a different number of pins into a ram socket, or getting a pci card that needs 5 volts and stuffing it into a 3.5 volt socket. that's really it, and for that you need to look up your motherboard's manual, or at least the 'specifications' on whatever site you are buying it from. it should be obvious since $presentday they all list things like voltage/etc on the site.

the only thing you might be dumb enough to do is buy a cheap / used PSU, which might explode and destroy your entire syste -- a limiting factor in 'how long it lasts'.

you might _think_ you can upgrade them indefinately, however, bus speed limitations, and the fact that you need a powerful cpu to drive the 'latest, greatest' gpus in sli or whatever makes this not really possible, and you are essentially buying an entirely new system. ( then again, cpu performance gains have been shit recently )

the thing about how long things last is quantumly involved magic: 1/4 of all computers die for no reason within the first year, 50 percent last around 4 years, and the rest run forever. unfortunately, that means you will find out when it dies after the fact. there's really no escaping this. the best thing you can do is 'manage risk' and make sure it's a computer you can afford to lose if you buy it.
>>
Check out http://www.professormesser.com/free-a-plus-training/220-901/comptia-220-900-course/

Obviously look only things that you're interested into
>>
>>53341579
Static wristband isn't a necessity but its helpful. You can also touch the screw on your wall socket frequently or when you make any big move(before and after). If its a metal case you can also touch the side of the case but I prefer to be safe and use the screw method.
>>
>>53341040
OP seriously you have the wealth of the internet at your disposal and you take it to /g/
come on just google how to build computer
>>
>>53341040
It's not hard, anon.

1) read about static electricity hazard. Don't put hardware on carpet and other things that generate it, use the bags it came with. Take of pullovers/sweaters/plastic shirts when assembling. Try to minimise touching stuff, especially contacts/chips! Handle memory modules, mobos and cards by their edges and corners if possible.

2) Look at guides, and never ever try to use force on stuff when something doesn't match somewhere or doesn't want to plug in.
>>
>>53343639
Oh and if you don't ahve the antistatic wristbands, go touch a grounded things, like heating (if it is built into the wall).
>>
>>53341040
That book pic related is a great place to start anon. YouTube and Google anything in there that's over your head. You should be fine after that. And to pick out parts pcpartpicker.com has gotta be the best.
>>
youtube, and spend $20 on a piece of shit from craigslist or a thrift store. It doesn't even have to work, it's just to show you how much force each part takes to put in or take out. #1 problem with new pc builders isn't that they forget to either buy or do something since in that case it's buying it and waiting a week or go and plug in the cord you forgot, but people who have no reference point on how hard to push for certain parts and assume they aren't doing it hard enough and then destroying a component.

Don't be a wannabe macho man, read the fucking manuals that you're spending almost $500+ on. If you only have to read one manual make it the motherboard one since they make them account for all the other parts. But seriously read all the manuals that come with your shit, since you paid for it.
>>
>>53341040
Watch linustechtips
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.