[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Linux Distro
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
File: C-gods-programming-language.jpg (79 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
C-gods-programming-language.jpg
79 KB, 1024x768
What linux distro is best for programming in C/C++ in your opinion
>>
>>53334338
They all come with gcc so whichever desu
>>
>>53334338
Literally any of them.
>>
>>53334338
>Edit:
I know you can on all of them, I want the opinion, kind of a vote way, (majority) so I can look into it.
>>
>>53334338
>>53334425
What are you even talking about? Literally every single distro comes with a text editor and GCC. If you want an IDE, those are on almost every distro as well.
What do you even think the difference would be?
>>
>>53334338
>what's the best car to listen to radio?
>>
>>53334425
Well from a "programming in C" perspective, there's no difference between them. They all have GCC (or Clang, if you're into that), they all have a shell, and they all have editors. They all have Git, once your projects get big enough to use version control. That's all you need.

Pick a distro you like and use it. Because it comes with a DE you like, because other software you want to use is in the repos, because it's stable and not bleeding edge, because it's bleeding edge and not stable, because you have strong opinions on which package manager is the best, whatever.
>>
>>53334458
The c compiler is such an integral part of linux it's always included unless you're purposely making a lean distro for embedded devices.

This is more like asking
>what's the best car with wheels?
>>
>>53334558
Should I just instead say what is a favorite distro xD ??
>>
File: snapshot1.png (42 KB, 709x767) Image search: [Google]
snapshot1.png
42 KB, 709x767
>>53334338
Get kubuntu or anything with KDE because kate is fantastic
>>
>>53334338
Linux Mint because you're a newfriend without Linux experience and Mint is easy to use. It comes with a C compiler and a text editor. You can also download "ddd" (Data Display Debugger) as a graphical alternative to the gdb. You can also install NetBeans which comes with a built-in C debugger.
>>
>>53334676
do you have brain damage? you can download kate separately you can also use KDE separately on any distro
>>
>>53334338
gentoo
>>
Freebsd
>>
>>53334704
>install kate on another DE
>have to download 400mb of Qt shit because everything else is GTK
>90% of KDE gets pulled in as dependencies anyway
yeah that's a fantastic idea anon good job
>>
File: 1451679896990.png (186 KB, 1024x1051) Image search: [Google]
1451679896990.png
186 KB, 1024x1051
>>53334741
>not using pacman
>>
>>53334704
>>53334741
this, anon
>>
>>53334756
Pacman can make KDE applications not dependent on Qt or the KDE framework?
might actually give it a shot then
>>
>>53334789
no it just doesnt install unnecessary packages like apt-get does
>>
>>53334770
>135mb
That's actually not as bad as it used to be desu
still a bit much though
>>
>>53334806
Anon, the reason getting kate on a GTK based DE requires you to get hundreds of mb of packages isn't because your package manager is installing useless stuff, it's because kate literally will not function without pulling in a bunch of qt and kde libraries

It's not as bad on qt based DEs because everything else depends on qt and some kde libraries so you probably already have them all
>>
install gentoo
>>
>>53334338
Windows 10
>>
>>53334338
There is no "Linux distro" as such to be precise because Linux is just the kernel. You can't do shit with kernel alone. What you mean is GNU/Linux Distro

Here's some sound advice. Stick to this list:

http://www.gnu.org/distros/distros.en.html

And you will be fine.

The above list only contains free software. Any other distro of GNU/Linux will contain nonfree software that will enslave you, the user. Please avoid at all costs, even if your life depends on it.

Once my boss asked me to install nonfree software for work, I refused, and lost my job. But I never lost my freedom.

True story.
>>
>>53334806
this is a meme propagated by those unable to read manual pages

--no-install-recommends
>>
>>53334896
>http://www.gnu.org/distros/distros.en.html
Sorry, I meant to give this URL:
http://www.gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html
>>
>>53334806
Use the option --no-install-recommends to skip unnecessary packages. However KDE is bloated as fuck and you're gonna get all that qt bloat anyways
>>
>>53334859
This. I'm on Manjaro Cinnamon and it's only a 21.2 MB download for me.
>>
>>53334922
What's the install size?
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.