[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Homebuilt Laptops
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
File: 563736573.jpg (553 KB, 1900x959) Image search: [Google]
563736573.jpg
553 KB, 1900x959
Has anyone ever looked into building your own laptop? I'm smitten with the idea of using a 20mm thin Mini ITX desktop motherboard and a low-power processor, like one of the 25W Xeons, perhaps.

As for the display maybe one of those open hardware display port adapters with an iPad display?

Good idea? Terrible idea? Obviously not supposed to be cost effective, but it would be nice for fun and upgradability.
>>
>>53316655
Bad idea, not worth it.
>>
>>53319154
Fuck you

>>53316655
Do it and post the proggress here
>>
>>53316655
it's an interesting idea, i guess the biggest pain in the ass would be the powersource and the cooling flow ?
>>
It's a bad idea because the costs and time investment would be ridiculous compared to store bought. And the final product would be an impractical clunky turd.
>>
>>53316655
wait for mini-stx, even better
>>
>>53319395

Just a follow-up--think of Ben Heck's creations. They are great but not close to store bought. And you are far, far...far less talented than Ben Heck.
>>
>>53316655
dumber than shit because "industry standards" designed for a fucking desktop system don't lend to portability and you end up with a giant lump of shit that has none of the advantages of a desktop wrapped up into all the disadvantages of a laptop
>>
File: 2b0a3786_LANDOBAcklight-2.jpg (125 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
2b0a3786_LANDOBAcklight-2.jpg
125 KB, 1000x667
>>53316655
Cool idea OP
Go for it, but instead of an iPad as display, use a 15" monitor and encase the whole thing in a suitcase or something
Someone has already done it
>>
>>53319350
Not op but I'd just use a bunch 18650s and small heatsinks on cpu and other parts with gpu fans off eBay.
Panasonic 3400mAh 18650s.
>>
>>53319601
this is stupid
>>
File: mfw Gorbachev.png (405 KB, 640x425) Image search: [Google]
mfw Gorbachev.png
405 KB, 640x425
>Good idea? Terrible idea? Obviously not supposed to be cost effective, but it would be nice for fun and upgradability.

Sounds fun, good luck! However you might need an excessively large chassis if you want to upgrade it in the future. Do post your build in the guts threads when you're done!
>>
>>53319679
Other people have opinions too anon
I think its pretty great, its portable (even if its 20 lbs, inside a suitcase its all portable)
You just hook it up to an outlet an go ahead using it
>>
>>53319419

Ben Heck creates his stuff as proofs of concepts and challenges. They're far from meant for everyday devices.
>>
>>53316655

>Good idea? Terrible idea? Obviously not supposed to be cost effective, but it would be nice for fun and upgradability.

I still can't help but feel a commercial solution from Clevo/Sager is superior. And given that there exist AiO cases that accept Mini-ITX boards, it's just a matter of feeding the beast with those batteries afterwards, versus a frankenputer.
>>
>>53319601
>ipad as display

this is..actually a really good idea...
>>
>>53316655
Sounds like a good idea.

If only there were standards for laptop cases and good motherboards for them.
>>
>>53321041
Why isn't there a brand selling modular and adorable laptops at an affordable price?
>>
>>53321122
Intel started with thin mini-itx. They are used for custom AIOs could be used for a custom laptop also I would assume.
>>
>>53319601
>that extreme backlight
>>
>>53321148
Wait until Mini-STX is common or get a NUC mobo
>>
>>53319705
it's a shitty design even for a luggable, doesn't have an integrated keyboard, screen is mounted on the wrong side of the clamshell, probably lacks any real expansion, would probably crumple like tin foil if you dropped it, what's even the point?
>>
>>53322877
>screen is mounted on the wrong side of the clamshell
what? no, its on the right side the shallower one i.e. the lid.
>>
File: $_35.jpg (13 KB, 300x195) Image search: [Google]
$_35.jpg
13 KB, 300x195
>>53319601
he said an ipad display, not an ipad as a display
>>
>>53320174
Ben Heck has access to shit like CNC mills and laser cutters, and he also has tons of experience working with electronics. He could probably build his own laptop, but I don't think most of us could.
>>
>>53323226
Too small, you could just buy a proper laptop display in the first place.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.