[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Now that MS is very obviously going full walled garden even normies
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4
Now that MS is very obviously going full walled garden even normies are starting to notice it.
How do we make Linux community come together and start preparing major Linux distros to become something that normies coming from Windows can call good alternative?
>>
We don't. We must protect linux from the normies.
>>
It needs to just. I don't mean "it's easy to get working" I mean works out of the box with ZERO changes. The way the Acer netbooks had Ubuntu Netbook Edition. Ubuntu is the de facto distro for casuals.
>>
>>53309580
/thread
>>
>>53309590
*it needs to just werk
fug
>>
>>53309507
>we
>>
>>53309507
First, we need to make a logo.
>>
>>53309507
Convince Gaben to release Steam box with Linux packaged on it
>>
>>53309625
AFAIK that was Gabe's plan, but most of OEMs bailed, so number of Steam Machines went from 11 to 3.
More OEMs have to jump on SteamOS bandwagon.
>>
>>53309624
this. Linux needs a proper logo.
>>
>>53309507
If you want the normies you have to lock it down. So nothing would be solved.
>>
>>53309787
we'd get better driver support from hw mfgs
>>
>>53309787
nah, you can split options and settings among basic and advanced, and then hide advanced options one click away.
Which is exactly the opposite of GNOME's "normies might get confused so we will completely throw this option out" mentality.
Fuck that angers me so much
>>
>>53309507
Ubuntu is pretty much already ready to use, if not that, we can edit xubuntu a bit to act more like windows by making a few changes.
My mom uses eOS and its user friendly too.

I think we're all ready for normies adopting linux based distros
>>
>>53309787
This could be implemented by the developers of any distro.
>>
>>53309580
>>53309597
>not wanting more people using better operating system
>being the 'muh seekrit klub" elitist
Leave
>>
>>53309911
I believe you are the victim of Poe's law
>>
>>53309938
Except those guys were probably serious
At least it looked that way
>>
>>53309507
Stop treating everything as equal in the package manager. User should never see lib-anything unless they go backstage.

Make a front end for it that only catalogs user-facing applications, Categorize them, and let the user search and browse screenshots and descriptions like they do on their phone's app store.
>>
>>53310029
Makes sense
*-lib or *-dev should only be visible if the user has enabled some sort of 'advanced options' checkbox.
>>
>>53310029

Why not even further? Hide literally everything but the chrome browser with facebook as a homepage. Other bookmarks would include other social media and all other websites would be blacklisted by default.
>>
>>53310166
Just use the current tools if you want to install libraries you fruit
>>
>>53309507
>MS is very obviously going full walled garden
this is not true
>>
>>53310166
Kek actually that would pretty good, 99% people wouldn't mind.
Believe it or not, a majority of people consider file managers hard to use, yes im talking about file managers, explorer.exe, thunar, those.
Unbelievable isn't it.

>>53309507
I think wine should be installed and set up by default on all distros made for normies
>>
Normies would be better off on Android x86 OSes like Remix. If only Google would release one with normie-proof installer and play store built in
>>
Automatic hardware detection and driver installation would definitely be needed if Linux is ever to make it as a "normie" OS. Manjaro and Ubuntu have already laid the groundwork for this.
>>
>>53310199
prove me wrong
>>
>>53310199
They virtually police everything you do in the name of security.How is this any different than OS X (apart from being even more invasive)?
>>
>>53310166
so Chrome OS
>>
>>53310205
>a majority of people consider file managers hard to use
I don't believe you.
I -REFUSE- to believe you.
>>
>>53310220
Normalfags buy OEM computers, OEMs should build computers that are compatible with Linux down to the hardware. Problem solved.

Consumers just have to buy a computer built with linux. Eventually it would become infeasible for a device manufacturers to not provide some kind of support for linux. If they couldn't support linux their company would die
>>
>>53310266
Is Dell still selling Ubuntu? I remember one of the companies recently dropped linux support but I googled and it looks like Dell is still release new machines with Ubuntu
>>
>>53310302
Dell and lenovo are for sure
Dont know about others
>>
>>53310302
I can't see why any company would, Linux is free. They're getting paid for support either way, whether their client uses linux or windows.
>>
>>53309507
my two cents are:
- make drivers that don´t cut the performance on gaming, and also that is the only reason why i am still running windows 7
the day I know that linux drivers dont suck ill make the jump
>>
>>53310166
>chrome
>facebook

>>53309580 this guy was right, normies are ruining it already
>>
>>53309507
This is assuming normies will care in the first place that MS is going walled garden. They won't. If anything, they'll like it more, because it was so successful with Android and iOS. Normies like safe, contained walled gardens. Linux will become the traditional alternative. Except for Ubuntu, they seem to be going full APPS.
>>
>>53310353
Supporting only 1 OS would cost less in development / driver compatibility. I am glad some OEMs have machines that can come with Linux stock, makes me hopeful for more adoption
>>
Ubuntu is god send to be honest.

Debian would be too if they had a one size fits all installer that would work on new and old hardware without requiring net access.
>>
Ubuntu has the best chance of taking off. Canonical is evil but aside from google they seem to be the only company that cares about making their Linux OS normalfag friendly. This worries me though because they're likely going to use that marketshare to push Mir and further fragment the *nix market
>>
>>53310402

That post was satire you fucking idiot.
>>
Microsoft could come out today admitting all the horrible stuff they've been doing on W10 and normies would keep using it.
People are not willing to learn a new OS
People are not willing to get out of their comfort zone
People won't give up vidya or other legacy applications for freedom

We live in a world where people are so brainwashed to the point where they prefer the paid walled garden.
>>
>>53310530
Microsoft already admitted it. Walled gardens that constantly farm your device for "non-personalized data" are the new normal.
>>
Fuck Linux garbage, make ReactOS usable
>>
>>53310530
They learned iOS
>>
>>53310580
It took them 10 years to put out a slightly more buggy alpha. Not putting too many chips in that corner.
>>
File: windows wall.png (615 KB, 1033x879) Image search: [Google]
windows wall.png
615 KB, 1033x879
>>53310199

>Microsoft has launched new PC Windows features exclusively in UWP, and is effectively telling developers you can use these Windows features only if you submit to the control of our locked-down UWP ecosystem. They’re curtailing users’ freedom to install full-featured PC software, and subverting the rights of developers and publishers to maintain a direct relationship with their customers.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/mar/04/microsoft-monopolise-pc-games-development-epic-games-gears-of-war
>>
>>53310586
It's a well known and trusted brand
People are less likely to go with something they've never heard of.
>>
File: Ricing_at_its_finest.jpg (234 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
Ricing_at_its_finest.jpg
234 KB, 1440x900
>>53309507
We need a couple distros to follow a standard of easy adoption, made even for children.
This easy distro needs a simple look, updates every two weeks by default not every day, and "paper" icons, meaning easy to understand icons. Also pulseaudio is sabotage, we need an easier audio setup by default in a beginner distro.

So far the best distros are Xubuntu, Mint and Lubuntu. Or better yet, Lubuntu with win95 theme.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.