[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will leaving a laptop plugged in all the time kill it's battery?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2
File: 71GQIy+PZnL._SL1500_.jpg (224 KB, 1500x1469) Image search: [Google]
71GQIy+PZnL._SL1500_.jpg
224 KB, 1500x1469
Will leaving a laptop plugged in all the time kill it's battery?
>>
>>53304616
Eventually the battery stops holding a charge worth a damm yes. If the battery is removable, take the battery out while plugged in. The charger the laptop came with should be enough to power the laptop with no battery even if screen is 100% brightness and you're doing heavy CPU work.

If it is non removable, whelp, thats on you. Dont charge over night.
>>
>>53304631
false
>Having a battery fully charged and the laptop plugged in is not harmful, because as soon as the charge level reaches 100% the battery stops receiving charging energy and this energy is bypassed directly to the power supply system of the laptop
>>
>>53304652
>Dont charge over night.
Why would that matter? The battery should stop charging at 100%
>>
patently false
>>
http://www.wired.com/2013/09/laptop-battery/

oh boy there is literally no solid answer great
>>
>>53304654
source or die
>>
I had a HP laptop charging practically all the time ans it died a little after a year. Then I bought another HP, removed the battery when not necessary and it still died after the warranty expired.

tl;dr: HP is shit and so are you. There is not significant evidence to prove whether it kill or helps the battery.
>>
Most laptops have a bios setting, which dont allow the battery to charge over 80%
>>
>>53305504
I keep my laptop on all night plugged in and the battery died in like a year
>>
Your battery will lose capacity faster if you store it at 100% charge. http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries
>>
I have a lenovo y50 hooked up to my TV 24/7 and it has reported a loss of battery life. Not significant over a year, only ~2%loss. If you can remove the battery for long sessions of being plugged in.
>>
>>53304616
Lithium Ion batteries are best stored at around 40% of their charge and not exposed to heat.

Keeping it at 100% while you do normal stuff with your laptop will kill it over time.
>>
>>53305627
>>53305504
Removing the battery does nothing, it's the charge level it's being stored at that matters.
>>
>>53304616
No, software finely controls how much charge is given to the batteries.
It trickle charges which is perfectly fine for lithium batteries.
>>
>>53305639
If you do not charge it fully and leave it out for long sessions of being powered by the adapter you will be fine. My y50 has an option to a only charge to ~60% to keep it's battery in check. it also isn't a " removable battery " unless you take it apart
>>
>>53305636
what if the battery is already only at that capacity?
>>
>>53305752
Already at 40% of design capacity?

Then your battery is already pretty much dead.
>>
>>53305786
It's actually like 55%. I can get 3-4 hours out of it if I only use lynx.
speaking of which, when is hiro gonna support posting from text browsers?
>>
>>53305627
most laptops now keep them stored inside it's so dumb
>>
>>53305695
>My y50 has an option to a only charge to ~60%
that's fucking awesome
>>
I bought my macbook pro in 2012 and I never turn it off.
>>
>>53304663
>The battery should stop charging at 100%

yeah but then it goes down to 99% so it charges it back up, then it stops charing and it goes back down to 99%, so it charges it back up, then ....
>>
Kill the battery? No. Decrease its lifespan? Yes.

If you use an analogy like "batteries are like muscles, and they need to be worked out from time to time" into consideration, leaving a battery in a constantly charged state will weaken it.

Best course of action is to allow it to charge on a regular basis, you don't even need to kill it completely (but it won't hurt).

Know how Ni-Cd batteries develop a "memory" over time? It's because they aren't being discharged enough and are repeatedly being topped off.

If you fully drain your battery at least once a month, you can probably extend the life of it substantially. You can get into the nitty-gritty of keeping things at appropriate charge levels, but honestly, you'll probably get a new laptop at that point, so don't even worry about it.
>>
>>53306089
I meant to say "discharge on a regular basis".

My mistake.
>>
>>53305998
yup. There is actually a feature in Android phones to extend battery lifespan
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=871051
>>
So much missinformation here.
Decent modern Laptops will decrease charging speed significantly at ~95% and stop charging completely at 100%, so you could leave it plugged in for years without problems.
Other battery myths: Completely discharging batteries is NOT beneficial, memory effect is not a thing anymore. Hasn't been for ages. It does not matter if you charged your battery from 1% to 100% or 10 times from 90% to 100%, the wear effect will be the same.
Discharging the battery to 0% (that won't happen usually though, most laptops will tell you the battery is completely empty while still having some charge left) however will give you a significant drop in capacity.
Afaik most battery manufacturers recommend to start charging at ~20%.
>>
Lithium batteries have a finite lifespan whether they're used or not. The capacity loss between a battery used in a laptop for 3 years vs one sitting on a shelf for the same amount of time will be negligible.
>>
>>53306320
No, the wear effect due to loading cycles is significant.
>>
>>53306385

OP asked about leaving the laptop plugged in constantly, not wear from load cycling.
>>
>>53306433
It will load when left plugged in. Slower than usual but still, 100 times from 99% to 100% is a full cylce.
>>
no. don't most devices with a LiPo battery stop drawing power until it reaches under 98.5% then it starts recharging again.
>>
>>53306433
leaving it plugged in and ON
>>
>>53306320
>vs one sitting on a shelf for the same amount of time
This is what is called its shelf life. The shelf life quoted is the maximum practical assuming perfect storage conditions.
>>
>>53306494

Yes, and I've had new batteries that were completely useless after sitting for a few years unused. It doesn't matter what charge state they are at when stored because they will self disharge under the optimal level over time anyway.
>>
it isnt good for it to be left like that indefinitely.

but it depends. it is bad for a battery to sit at full, drain a couple percent, and then charge to full again. it takes a lot more energy to add to a battery at the top of its capacity.

if the device is constantly plugged in and rarely unplugged, it is a good idea to set the charging option to allow the battery to discharge naturally down to 80-90% or even lower before having the charger top it off again.

a charge cycle is the equivalent of draining the battery to empty and charging it again. this is cumulative, so if you take the battery down to 50% charge it that is half a cycle. the amount of cycles in a battery is a major effect of how well it performs, but constantly pumping energy into it to push it from 98% (which it drains down to naturally) back to 100% is bad for it by itself alongside the cycle issue.
>>
File: 1456945928035.png (344 KB, 470x540) Image search: [Google]
1456945928035.png
344 KB, 470x540
>>53305695
>>53305924
My Samsung has it at 80%. I think I prefer the system they have in the ThinkPads. It's like:
>Start charging when it is below 85%
>Stop charging when it hits 95%
If you set the thresholds like that, it won't charge in between the two values. It must be lower to start and it stops at the upper.
But really, heat is the real killer for your batteries.
>>
>>53307108
I wanna do cocoa in the butt
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.