[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Pick up phone >Check time >Put it back down on desk
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 7
File: IMG_2207.jpg (197 KB, 1068x712) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2207.jpg
197 KB, 1068x712
>Pick up phone
>Check time
>Put it back down on desk
>Literally nothing even close to the phone
>In a closed room, no other people or anything
>Sitting next to the phone the entire time
>Hear a crack
>Look around
>Nothing wrong
>Pick up phone to check time again
>Screen cracked (image related)

I've literally had this shit happen to me, I've even dropped phones before and never had a screen crack so to have one crack on its own with no pressure or anything is just the weirdest shit ever. What could have even caused it?
>>
>>53302067
What the fuck? Looks like something pointy and heavy fell on it.
>>
High pressure due to pleb emanations from your pores. Better to buy a good phone with pleb-proof glass.
>>
File: 1448863281731s.jpg (8 KB, 228x227) Image search: [Google]
1448863281731s.jpg
8 KB, 228x227
>>53302110
KEK
>>
If that's not a picture of your broken phone, there's a decent chance the battery expanded and cracked the screen. That phone has impact damage though.
>>
>>53302067
Loos like auto combustion happens to phones too
>>
>>53302067
Heat cycling, yo. Same reason you don't take a glass out of the fridge and put hot water in it, a lot of modern phones use fucking pathetically thin glass that simply cannot deal with temperature changes.

Exact same thing happened to a friends S5. He took it out of his pocket, put it on a table and watched a crack spread from edge to edge.
>>
>>53302095
That's exactly what it looks like, right? But the fucking things was literally charging on a flat surface a foot away from me, nothing even touched it.

>>53302132
That's the picture, I've googled around a bit and apparently screens randomly cracking on their own for no apparent reason is apparently a thing that's more frequent than I thought.

Shit's weird bruh.
>>
>lg

Had a LG, fell on a metal edge on its side. Screen shattered.

Got a M9, fell on the same edge on its side, just a dent on the side.

You got a bad phone.
>>
>>53302212
>Used apparent 3 times in one sentence.
That's what I get for not proof reading my shit.
Welp, time to go kill myself.
>>
>>53302067
If that's an optimus G it was a problem with the glass. I've only ever seen it happen on the back though.

Basically having it your pocket or against your face heats it up and if you set it down on a cold surface after, well, you know what happens
>>
>>53302249
That would explain it, it is an optimus G, and I did have it in my pocket before putting it down on the desk to charge.
>>
>>53302067
>what could have even caused this?
A shit build OP. What phone was it, pic related?
>>
File: invisibleman.jpg (98 KB, 555x475) Image search: [Google]
invisibleman.jpg
98 KB, 555x475
>>53302212
Well newer screens are incredibly thin so I'm not surprised spontaneous cracking is starting to become a thing.
I remember changing my htc desire s screen after accidentally dropping it on a rock.

The fucking glass was almost a millimeter thick.
>>
>>53302271
Yea, I lost my optimus g back glass to a granite countertop. It sucks
>>
>>53302067
OP, post a pic of the phone in profile. The presence/absence of deformation will probably help determine the cause.
>>
nope.

only a fucking complete retard would even ironically believe this stupid story.

not only does it not make any god damn sense, but that picture takes 1 fucking second to realize the story makes even LESS sense

fuck off
>>
It's literally impossible for something like that to have happened without something falling on it. If it was a heat related issue there wouldn't be a central point to the damage spreading outward - that is an impact point.

>you fucking LIE
>>
>>53303034
this

its falling damage or you sat on the fucking phone

why people put phones in their back bum pocket i'll never know.
>>
>>53302935
Says the retard who's too retarded to listen to the thousands of other similar stories claiming the exact same thing, and the reasoning behind why it does happen
>>
I've heard about similar things happening to glass in cars.

However, phone glass isn't real glass I don't think, or it's made of different shit or something so I don't know if the reasons are similar or not.
>>
>>53302067

That's an impact mark of the right hand side, bro.
You're full of shit.
>>
>>53302207
Cracks in glass spread faster than the speed of sound, retard.
>>
>>53302067
if you kept the phone in the rear pocket and sat on it regularly then deformation of the case could have caused stress that only then caused a screen crack due to change in temperatures. but i really want to see your actual phone and not a stock image of a dropped phone.
>>
>tfw they've moved on to phones
>>
>>53303865
It's real glass, just one with a different toughness. The harder the glass, the stronger it is against scratches, but it becomes weaker to cracks and vise versa.

The reason why it happens in cars is due to quick temperature and pressure change.

Also
>>53302067
LG quality. Should have bought a Samsung.
>>
>>53302067
You need a young priest and an old priest.
>>
>>53302067
>>53302207
>>53302212
>>53302249
>>53302271
>>53302331
>>53303213
>>53307258
I hear this shit all the time, and it has me paranoid as fuck about buying a new cell phone, especially a Z3 or Z5.

Honestly, part of it feels like some sort of conspiracy that people who don't want to claim responsibility for their actions latch on to, like it's a macguffin or something. There's no hard, concrete evidence to prove that it literally just shattered on a table, but the fact that there are stories that exist, these faggots will latch on to it and swear that was the case.

What I don't understand is, if any of these claims are legitimate, if any of these people are putting screen protectors on their phone (either regular plastic ones, or those tempered glass ones) and are putting their phones in cases.

No one ever EVER mentions if they do this.

I need to know if putting a screen protector on my phone (regular, Zagg brand, tempered glass, whatever) will 100% prevent a phone from "mysterious shattering"
>>
>>53302067
My S3's screen once shattered in my jacket pocket while driving. No idea why.
>>
>>53307682
Did it have a screen protector and case on it?
>>
>self exploding glass
i thought this was a sony exclusive technology
>>
>>53307643
Anyone??
>>
>>53302067
Screens don't crack by themselves you shill. The only people who claim that their screen cracked by itself are either butthurt and embarrassed that they dropped it, or are trying to claim warranty. (Most warranties don't cover cracked screens)

Try to find one single video on YouTube showing a screen cracking by itself live. You can't.
>>
>>53309801
>it cant happen because its not on youtube

Jezus christ kids these days
>>
>>53309864
>I didn't drop my phone I s-swear!
>>
>>53302067

You probably have anger issues and broke your phone and wanted to make a post on /g/. Grow up wacko.
>>
>>53302067
>LG

makes sense KEK
>>
>>53302067

op you're being haunted, please refer to /x/ for advice
>>
>>53309494
Tempered glass will prevent it from shattering unless you go completely stupid and take it from extreme cold to extreme heat or vise versa
>>
>>53302067
Fucking android I swear
>>
>>53302067
>sneeze on phone screen
>everything starts bugging out, random apps open, starts sending shit on Snapchat
God damn android fucking sucks.
>>
>>53311733
>>53311751
it was about time paid ishills showed up
>>
Make a thread on /x/ They gona love this.
>>
>>>/x/
>>
>>53302067
>>53303034
I had my Galaxy S4 shatter with that same pattern for some unknown reason. I just put it on the table and when I picked it up it was shattered.
>>
>>53307224
Underrated post
>>
Swollen battery.
>>
>>53302067
Rotational Volicidencer gave out.
Dont buy Seagate
>>
File: lol.jpg (188 KB, 1068x712) Image search: [Google]
lol.jpg
188 KB, 1068x712
>>53302067
I worked as a phone repairman for over a year and this is obviously a type of external impact damage since the cracks originates from one point.

I've never seen a phone with a random out of nowhere crack, it does not happen under ordinary circumstances. It can sometimes happen on phones with bent housing or corners which can cause the screen to crack since its to tight for it to fit, or if its the battery expanding thus pushing out on the glass screen from inside. But those are rare.
>>
I've had something similar to this happen once. It wasn't with a phone, it was with a tooth.

> be me, around 12 y/o
> wiggle loose tooth out while lying in bed one morning
> place tooth on window ledge then try to sleep some more
> several minutes later hear a faintly audible snap
> find tooth has split in half for no obvious reason
>>
File: 1417568797140.png (127 KB, 498x500) Image search: [Google]
1417568797140.png
127 KB, 498x500
>>53302067
You are lying. That screen has a very obvious impact damage with pieces of glass missing. It fell on something pointy or you've hit the edge of the screen with a tool. Fuck off.
>>
File: 1413782541623.png (125 KB, 250x239) Image search: [Google]
1413782541623.png
125 KB, 250x239
>>53312464
>>53302067
If the screen cracked by itself from tension you would end up with a nice spiderweb with no sign of impact and all pieces still in place. That glass is glued to the screen and it doesn't just fly away for no reason.
>>
>>53312167
temperstue change
>>
>>53302067
Glitch in the matrix
>>
>>53311940
Did you have a fucking case and screen protector on it? State that shit PLEASE.
>>
it could also be caused by thermal shock, if you've ever worked with tempered glass heating it unevenly can make it crack and heating it while it's contained in a fixed shape, it can expand and crack due to putting tension on it

say if it were glued down just a bit too much in that area and the rest of the screen heated up from the battery being charged it can make the screen crack

or you dropped it
>>
>>53314044
Nope
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.