[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
PROCESSOR PRICES
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 3
File: 1456929428185.png (715 KB, 797x736) Image search: [Google]
1456929428185.png
715 KB, 797x736
Why are ARM processors so much cheaper than X86/X64 processors?

ARM processors have pretty much caught up with way more expensive X86/X64 processors for general computing needs.
>>
Because the architecture.
>>
>>53282546
Because Intel marks their chips up by like 500%
>>
>>53282546

what is the difference between ARM and x86 anyway?
>>
>>53282918

Architecture
>>
>>53282918
They're different instruction set architectures which leads to differing assembly languages. It's comparable to different programming languages basically but on a hardware level.
>>
Dumb fucking polacks
>>
>>53282546
What is Israel-tax?
>>
Because you get what you pay for.
>>
>>53282546

Because you can't run full-blown Windoze on it.
>>
>>53284565
That's a feature. Who the fuck still wants to deal with that shitfest OS?
>>
>>53282546
ARM is the future

x86 is deprecated, only useful for playing manchild games on a archaic platform
>>
>>53284751
because angry birds is so much more adult
>>
>>53282546
>ARM processors have pretty much caught up with way more expensive X86/X64 processors for general computing needs.
Nice joke!
>>
Because ARM has:
- shit performance, even if it's a 2 GHz quad core
- license fees
- no real compatibility and standards between different SOCs
- no good software support (have to rely on outdated binary blobs made by SOC manufacturer)
>>
>>53282546
"general computing needs"

generally, I need a 3.5 ghz quad core 6600K to do stuff, so no, ARM isn't cutting it.
>>
>>53283201
DUMB FUCKING POLACKS
>>
>>53282546
because their IPC is shit.
>>
>actually wanting to switch to chinese SOC jews
wew lad
>>
>>53284594

Literally everyone. You can't do any enterprise networking without Windows. No domains, no network policy, no directory services, no nothing.
>>
>>53284900
see
>>53284751
>>
Simpler architecture = less processor performance but they complement it with SIMD and video / media processors so it works well
>>
ARM assembly is fun to program in.
>>
Because ARM is a piece of shit. When you need to get work done you turn to x86 which is more powerful, compatible with x86 software, and more energy efficient.
>>
>>53283610
>>53284565
>>53285193
>>53284900
This.
>>
>>53285193
the funny thing is that x86 isn't even great compared to what's actually around/possible, but it's the best there is for finding actual hardware, drivers and software
>>
>>53285266
You do know x86 is more energy efficient than ARM right?
>>
>>53284751
>geekbench
Yea, nice meme and all
>>
>>53282546
>Why are ARM processors so much cheaper than X86/X64 processors?
It's funny that people keep asking this.

Is it really cheaper?

Think of it this way:
An iPad Pro is $800. An iPhone 6s is like what? $700 starting?

A macbook air, with it's "expensive" x86-64 CPU starts at $900, and it kind of comes with more hardware than an iPad Pro (keyboard, way more battery).

All these have the Apple Tax of course, but if you're looking at ARM systems, they're pretty fucking expensive.

So what are we referring to when we think of "cheap" ARM systems? Shit-tier tablets? Well they certainly aren't going to get those benchmark numbers people like to tout (as if they mean anything; they are highly specialized and almost never translate into any useful performance).
>>
One thing to consider, all modern x86 CPUs are custom designs(designed by Intel, AMD, or VIA). On the other hand ARM cores are mainly reference designs(designed by ARM Holdings). Reference ARM cores are cheap as fuck because the R&D has already been done by ARM Holdings, companies just have to add their secret sauce and then get the whole thing fabbed.

Apple and AMD are exceptions to that though, they make their own ARM cores.
>>
File: Mainboard_386_387.jpg (460 KB, 1000x654) Image search: [Google]
Mainboard_386_387.jpg
460 KB, 1000x654
>>53284751
Arm is built for benchmarking, x86 is built for consumers.
That is why even though arm might be fast enough for general use, it's just not as efficient at it as x86 is.

Only real advantage arm has is price.
Allwinner H3 sells for only $6 and can decode 4k 30fps.
>>
>ARM processors have pretty much caught up with way more expensive X86/X64 processors for general computing needs.
People are still using 10 year old Core2Duos too. This doesn't mean ARM is anywhere near Intel i7,i5, or even i3 performance.
>>
>>53285854
>Arm is built for benchmarking, x86 is built for consumers.
Not even that. It's just that geekbench is terrible, ARM does not do as well in other benches.
>>
>>53285922
ARM is still cheaper and fast enough for general tier web browsing email checking.
It'll be fine for most normies as long as its a quad core at least.

Want to know how cheap?
Orange pi pc sells for $15 with a quad core arm processor and 1gb ram.
>>
>>53286231
Yeah, ARM is enough for the masses. That still doesn't make it good. Normies also won't use Linux, so you'll be looking at giving them Android for the desktop or chrome OS.
>>
X86 is a scam, quad core intel CPUs are only really worth about $50-100, the high end server xeons maybe $400-800.

You can easily make an ARM cpu as powerful as intel desktop chips, no one does it because x86 has a monopoly on windows. Have a look at how much space ARM cores on a mobile chip take up. ARM SoCs are 80% non cpu components. Of course a big ARM will match or beat similar X86 cores, but no one has been willing to make one yet.

Intel likely waste a lot of money due to poor management, they have had no competition for almost a decade as a result they have become bloated and lazy. I don't think you will see a change, intel will just drag traditional PCs down with them as they fail. Companies will just push cloud products with consumers using weak client hardware.
>>
>>53286852
there's no market for more powerful CPUs, datacenters are already underutilized and focusing on power efficiency, and 6+ year old PCs still handle all the chrome/node/electronjs bullshit and 1080p gaymen fine

"2016 will be the year of the ARM laptop" - Linus Torvalds
>>
>>53282546
lol what a fucking cuck
>>
X86 is inferior
>>
>>53287379
In what ways?
X86 is proving superior in every single way so far. Even efficiency.
>>
>>53289285
Only because intel X86 chips are made on better fabrication tech and intel can charge 10x as much per cpu. It has nothing to do with X86. If you compare X86 AMD chips made on the same process as ARM chips X86 loses badly.

Intel can only keep it up as long as they are selling $5000 xeons and subsidizing mobile parts with billions of dollars from their server business.
>>
>>53284565
>what is windows 10 on rpi
>>
>>53289348
That's because AMD is behind Intel at x86 currently.

Intel is still developing better processors than any arm chip currently out there
>>
>>53289771
Actually I just checked the latest SD820 and exynos benches, Core-M is only slightly faster in single threaded and loses badly in multithreaded. Intel is fucked, all they have left is windows and high tpd high clock products. Unless they come out with a new CPU arch soon they will be behind in performance and price. The ARM cores are still tiny in comparison they will always fit 2x as many as intel core series while costing less, most of those phone SoCs are mostly gpu and phone related crap inside, you could probably make a 16 core SD820 that sells for less than what intel i3s sell for.
>>
Well then where are these ARM workstations, OP/
>>
>>53289864
Intel is selling the mobile SoC's at a loss, they been trying to make a dent into the market for years now, they still haven't got their shit right even after the massive fuckup Qualcomm had last year with the 810
As anything not traditional x86, Intel can't into it, their mobile SoC's will go the way of IA64/i960/i740
They're doing slightly fine right now since they don't have competition in their core market, but after Zen comes they will be unable to keep pumping unlimited amounts of money into the R&D of their failures
>>
Intel needs that extra money to properly hate the white man!

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-01-08/intel-wants-a-less-white-less-male-workforce-that-will-be-tough
>>
>>53284836
X86 is licence fees too
>>
>>53284920
Le linucks os
>>
Because ARM chips are tiny and everyone is mass producing them in stupid amounts.

If you designed an arm chip for only a few thousand sales instead of using an existing chip it would get pretty expensive too.
>>
>>53290305
Doesn't x86 do that too?
How many i5 4460s were produced?
>>
>>53282546
>Why are ARM processors so much cheaper than X86/X64 processors?
lots of competition, many companies can use the ARM ISA
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.