[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thinking about leaving community college to be a gym teacher
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
File: community.jpg (9 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
community.jpg
9 KB, 275x183
Thinking about leaving community college to be a gym teacher to go to technical school to be an electrician or hvac person. What do you guys think? i am sick of the liberal arts shit in the general ed courses of community college.
>>
If you can, try to get into the apprenticeship for electrical linemen. Go to community college and get your class A CDL, and then apply as a driver/groundman for your local utility through the union hall. Being in the union and having a class A license will put you above 90% of the rest of the candidates.

Being a lineman is hard work but the pay and benefits are fucking awesome and you get to work with some bad ass technolo/g/y.

No shit, if you get in as an apprentice when you're in your early 20's, you'll be able to retire a literal millionaire in your early 50's.
>>
There's a reason you have to take those courses along with the le ebin stem major i fucking love science classes you signed up for and it's because you aren't a complete human being yet. Suck it up and learn something.
>>
>>53282342
bump
>>
>>53282377
I am gonna be 22 next week, is it too late for me?
>>
>>53282393
I am not looking for you to keep me in those shit courses, fuck off. I have no interest in these liberal arts english courses writing gay rights and black lives matter papers
>>
>>53282342
bump
>>
>>53282495
Fucking this, I really thought college being so liberal was a meme until I got to it. My English 101 and 103 courses were basically gender and race studies. Shit the professor didn't even really care what we wrote as long as we agreed that a minority was being suppressed.

Fucking memers ruining muh education system.
>>
>>53282342
In America. why do you need to do general education courses after high school?
>>
>>53282786
Because the only thing that matters when going to college here is if you have your diploma or a GED.

> not prepping people for college in high school.

Not only is the public education system backwards and draconian, but they're not going to waste what little money and resources they have on making sure everyone is ready for college. Public schools prepare people for mindless blue collar work where ask they need to know is how to follow orders and not to question them.
>>
>>53282342

/g/ - Career Counseling
>>
>>53282447
Hell no, I started at 21. Just means you gotta retire like a year later
>>
>>53282393
fuck off
>>
>>53284090
Can you give any more advice please?
>>
>>53284090
lol
>>
>>53282342
>community college to be a gym teacher
very nearly any other field of study in college, or any trade you could leave and go into, would be a better choice
>>
>>53286699
hot opinion there fagtron
>>
>>53286713
glad I convinced you
>>
>>53282786
>In America. why do you need to do general education courses after high school?
The idea is to not churn out one-trick monkeys. Unfortunately the world compensated by making better idiots.

Many big schools did try a more focused curriculum, one of the most famous ones being MIT. They found that their graduates from those years were fucking idiots. So we went back to a more well-rounded education, even for our engineers.

Gen Ed has its pros and cons.

>>53282342
>Thinking about leaving community college to be a gym teacher to go to technical school to be an electrician or hvac person. What do you guys think?
The world, and especially the US, definitely needs more tradeskill people. They make just as much, and much of the time significantly more, money than college graduates and are not insanely in debt. And quite frankly, a person who can wire his own house is far more useful than some political science major.
>>
>>53286795
Electrician or hvac you think?
>>
>>53286795
>They make just as much, and much of the time significantly more, money than college graduates

and yet the data contradicts you, peon
>>
File: 1456252005610.jpg (62 KB, 690x460) Image search: [Google]
1456252005610.jpg
62 KB, 690x460
>>53282377
>a literal millionaire in your early 50's

i have one of these as a client; he destroyed his body doing this work

at age 45 he is on disability and makes about 30K a year as a ward of the state, more or less; lives in a mobile home and gets food stamps

also, he no longer has sensation in his legs

he's also as dumb as a fire hydrant
>>
>gym teacher

jeez. Anything is better than that.
>>
>>53288613
he's probably a pedophile wait why is this on /g/ and not /b/, /r9k/, or /lgbt/
>>
>>53288397
I'm actually an electrical engineer. Not studying, practicing, and licensed. The reason why I champion tradespeople is because good techs are hard to find, and command a great price. So many shit contractors out there that can't even terminate coax or splice fiber correctly the first time. Remediation is incredibly aggravating and costly.

And unfortunately for you, the data is in my favor.
http://time.com/money/3829776/heres-what-the-average-grad-makes-right-out-of-college/
All majors averaged: $45,478

Going by average 4 years of experience (a.k.a. average length of university education, except without the horrendous debt):

http://swz.salary.com/SalaryWizard/Electrician-II-Salary-Details.aspx
$57k

http://swz.salary.com/SalaryWizard/Plumber-II-Salary-Details.aspx?&fromevent=swz.jobdetails.freepop
$50.1k

http://swz.salary.com/SalaryWizard/Lineman-Salary-Details.aspx?&fromevent=swz.jobdetails.freepop
$71k

The trick is, in four years, you are already hitting "experienced" median salary of these tradeskills, plus you were still making money the previous four years of apprenticeship/level 1 work, and your salary will still continue to grow.

Why not compare a college grad just out of school with a tradesperson just starting? Because that's dumb as fuck. If a person starts college at 18 and another person starts training as an electrician at 18, the college grad could very well be still on his or her first McJob at 25 barely being above entry level bullshit while the tradesperson is reaching master level at that point.

>>53286951
I would personally choose electrician but really both are great.
>>
OP if you want to be a gym teacher you're going to have to give penis inspections. Are you okay with that??
>>
>>53288685
*Not studying, but practicing and licensed, rather.
>>
>>53288685
>So many shit contractors out there
You've just invalidated your argument.

Also:
http://education.seattlepi.com/skilled-trades-vs-college-degrees-1885.html

Finally: Thanks but no thanks:
http://tdworld.com/transmission/utility-line-workers-one-top-10-most-dangerous-professions

Pro-tip:
You're a major league imbecile for promoting this bullshit.
>>
>>53288685

my older son is graduating from college this spring and he was hired, after three interviews, at a consulting firm at 66K a year for two years; math major, bachelors

he'll be able to pay off his loans in that time frame and then he's applying to med school
>>
>>53288477
What career did he choose to hurt himself so bad? wtf?
>>
>>53288792
This guy needed a website to tell him working on high voltage lines is dangerous.

We have a top graduate here. Good thing you read that before you stuck a fork in the wall socket.
>>
Honestly nobody fucking cares and I literally stopped reading at gym teacher
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.