[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a way to make the sound being generated by a progra
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6
Is there a way to make the sound being generated by a program come through your PC microphone?

I use Voice Attack in Elite Dangerous.

Website for Voice Attack so you know what I'm talking about:

http://www.voiceattack.com/

It allows you to give voice commands and control parts of your ship. (Deploy and Retract landing gear, raise and lower hardpoints, etc.)

It also lets you play sounds when you give these commands, so you can kinda simulate what it would feel like to have a onboard AI controlling your ship.

Video for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlU8abkdJU0

(The game's changed a bit since that video was made, but you get the idea.)

We're going to be able to have multiple people on a ship controlling parts of it, and it's going to be really cool if I can have my AI and crew working together, but if they can't hear the AI's voice, it won't work.

If it helps, we'd be using Discord to talk.
>>
>>53275578

It'd be up to the program generating the sounds to sort out which audio device the sounds would be going to.

As it stands, 99% of programs will send audio through whatever the default audio device is. Some games work with Turtle Beach/Headset developers to get chat audio to only stream through mono-headsets, but all other game audio through the primary audio devices.

Elite Dangerous, which is what I'm assuming is generating these sounds, would have to specify the PC Headset as the audio device for that channel of audio in it's engine, which is likely unlikely as it stands.
>>
>>53275633
>Elite Dangerous, which is what I'm assuming is generating these sounds,

It's voice attack that generates the sounds. It acts like a media player and brings up a sound file when the correct command is given.

I'm wondering if there is a program or something that will allow the sounds coming from that program to loop back and be put through the program that is picking up my microphone.
>>
>>53275675
Hmmmm, have you tried enabling stereo mixing in the audio mixer options? It should redirect all of your output sound to the microfone input internally, dunno if you can enable it for specifics programs though.
>>
>>53275775
>dunno if you can enable it for specifics programs though.

This is pretty much the issue. Stereo mix plays ALL sounds through the microphone. So, anyone listening would also hear the game's sounds.

I'm looking for a solution that would just put Voice Attack through.
>>
Virtual audio cable
>>
>>53276775
This. It's annoying/shitty but it's the only thing I know of that will 100% solve OP's problem.
>>
>>53277283
Alright... so...

How the heck do I use it? There's like 1,000 different things on the UI and I don't see a button that tells it which program to pick up. I don't even know how to make it pick up the Mic.
>>
SB Sound Blaster but that's hardware
>>
>>53277322
You don't tell it what program to pick up, you direct audio to it from your particular program (so select a virtual audio cable input/output instead of the default input/output). Beyond that I can't help you since I haven't used it for a couple years. Google a tutorial or something. I promise you it'll work though, just gotta use your head.
>>
File: Capture.png (34 KB, 553x874) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
34 KB, 553x874
>>53277354
Well shit.

Voice Attack doesn't allow you to choose what audio device is your output.
>>
File: 1411665426565.png (20 KB, 483x504) Image search: [Google]
1411665426565.png
20 KB, 483x504
>>53275578
>mfw in a vulture with only 50 million credits

Can't even afford a Python yet and you're posting a pic of a Conda you bastard
>>
>>53275578
Creative sound card drivers had something like this in the mixer options.
>>
>>53277390
I'm in a Python. That's just a google image I found.
>>
>>53277390
You guys are lucky. I haven't even started playing yet because I can't think of a nickname that isn't already taken.
>>
>>53277423
My default name I've been using for like 10 years was still free. Guess I got lucky.
>>
>>53277423
Just make up something fun.

You're a human in the year 3302. Think of a name you'd come up with to be funny/badass/trollish if you were a space pilot.

I'm Commander Hacc. I picked that name because my Character is a VR nerd that likes to test the limits of system security and kinda got his ass kicked out of Lave for it.
>>
lmgtfy virtual audio cable
>>
File: 1455382299100pol.jpg (86 KB, 650x560) Image search: [Google]
1455382299100pol.jpg
86 KB, 650x560
I don't know how to help OP, but is this game worth picking up? It should I go with star citizen? Been itching for a good space themed game.
>>
You might need two sound cards and some hacky pulse audio routing to do this. Look into Pulse Audio if this game will work on Linux.
>>
>>53277516
Alright. I'm going to tell you exactly what I've told everyone else that has ever asked me this question.

This game is a combination of three games with a few extra progression systems mixed in.

On one hand, it's a crappy version of Space Engine. You can't land on atmospheric planets like Earth or Mars yet. (Yes, Mars has been given an atmosphere) You will be able to maybe next year, but that's not guaranteed, and you're buying the game for what you can do in it right now.

The other game is Space Truck Simulator. You'll do exactly what you will do in Euro Truck Sim, but it'll be in space and you'll be using outside sources to find the really profitable routes for trading cargo. You're going to be flying cargo from one space station to the next over and over again while you build up "Fuck you" levels of in-game money. (I'm serious. It takes like one week of trading to become a rich bastard.)

The next game that gets thrown into the mix is what I feel is the most fun. It's a First-Person Star Wars: Rogue Squadron. You'll jump into an Asteroid belt and scan for any targets that have a bounty on their head. If you're able to kick their ass, you'll get paid. You can then keep doing your job as a bounty hunter, or go turn in the kill to get paid. You don't actually get paid until you dock and submit the proof of death to the station in that system, and if you die before you're able to do so, you're fucked.

There's also wars to fight when they break out, and there's a weird faction system that a lot of people use just to have some role-play within the game.

All-in-all, yes. The game's fun. I honestly like it more than Star Citizen even though I believe Star Citizen is going to be the bigger game once it's finished.

The flight mechanics are pretty solid, the lore and on-going story is pretty cool, and the different ships you can earn feel different.
>>
>>53277630
However, there's extreamly limited weapon selection. We're getting crafting soon, so that ill fix this issue, but it's an issue currently and if you buy the game now you'll face it.

Also, what most people believe to be the most fun in the game (Exploration) gives the least profit of the three jobs (Trade and Combat being the other two.) While a bounty might earn you up to 400K, and trading cargo can easily earn you over 5mill an hour, exploration will barely earn you 100K per fully explored system. Some people have spent real-life months out in unexplored space only to come back and be killed by an NPC. (Which loses all of their exploration data and they get nothing for all of that work.)

Most explorers don't do it for the money. They want to fly into nebulas and take screenshots or get their name plastered all over space. (If you're the first person to turn in data for an object, your name is permanently attached to it.)
>>
File: TreePup.jpg (138 KB, 620x811) Image search: [Google]
TreePup.jpg
138 KB, 620x811
>>53277630
Thanks anon that's a pretty realistic review. I'll do some more research but this helps a lot!
>>
>>53277675
No worries.

It honestly is a great game, but a lot of people fan-boy over it. I almost promise that you'll have fun with it if you get it, but it does have issues and you should know about them.

I'll also warn you that when you start out you'll know next to nothing. There's a pretty long "Learning how to fly" stage when you start out for the first time.
>>
>>53277697
>>53277630
hey man do you know of a good joystick thing to use with this game?
>>
>>53277745
I use a Logitech 3d pro and it's fantastic.

As a throttle, I'm using the Throttle half of a T-Flight HOTAS X.

My girlfriend uses a Saitek x52 and it feels soooooo good. (For $150, it better feel good.)
>>
>>53277778
>getting cucked by a x52
>>
>>53277778
What would you recommend i get? I am not rich but i'll probably buy anything if i get really into the game.
>>
>>53277841
Start out with This: http://www.amazon.com/Extreme-3D-Pro-Joystick-Windows/dp/B00009OY9U

And then if you feel like you like the game enough, get this: http://www.amazon.com/Saitek-X52-Flight-Control-System/dp/B00030GSJY/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1456929284&sr=1-2&keywords=x52

And then if you're a rich mother fuck that really wants to go ape-shit with his money and already have a VR setup, get this: http://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-Hotas-Warthog-Joystick-2960720/dp/B00371R8P4/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1456929284&sr=1-5&keywords=x52
>>
>>53277884
Jesus that last one looks amazing. I'm retarded with money though so i might end up getting it. I have somehow managed to spend thousands of dollars on my pc but i'm only a student.
>>
>>53277922
>but i'm only a student

I am too. I'm currently working to buy a Vive just because of Elite. I'm also going to need to upgrade my AMD 7970 to do so.
>>
>>53275578
Try out Vb Audio Voicemeter. That program should be able to route the audio the way you want it to. Its donation ware so basically free ish.
>>
>>53277966
What card are you thinking of getting? I have a 980 will that be enough to run a htc vive + Elite Dangerous
>>
>>53277992
I'm looking at a 980. It's honestly overkill. Elite looks fantastic, but there's only one or two objects the card needs to render at one time unless you're in an asteroid belt. (And even then it's just simple shapes)
>>
>>53278031
Thanks for the advice man. I'll probably need to get a job just for this
>>
>>53278110
Well... not just for this, but yeah.
>>
File: 1442113983388.gif (49 KB, 300x250) Image search: [Google]
1442113983388.gif
49 KB, 300x250
I actually play Elite with mouse and keyboard only and it works really well.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.