[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Third party firmware for home routers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6
Why people have not yet heard about third party firmware like OpenWRT DD-WRT and TOMATO for home routers
>>
I have DD-WRT but it crashes when I enable QOS. Somebody suggested that the router doesn't have enough power to handle processing the data.
>>
File: wmr-300_1.png (998 KB, 900x681) Image search: [Google]
wmr-300_1.png
998 KB, 900x681
>>53275373
>Somebody suggested that the router doesn't have enough power to handle processing the data.
That wouldn't cause a crash, it would just make it run slow and probably harm the throughput.

It is more likely to be a bug with the router hardware or needs to be recompiled or something.

Anyway, third party firmwares are awesome. I compiled and installed openwrt on this motherfucker.
>>
>>53275524
I have my TP-Link running OpenWRT with an uptime of 63 days.
I love that firmware
>>
>>53276168
My TP-Link is at 177 days.
>>
>>53273801
Because 70% of people don't even change the default password of their wifi.

29.9% of people change the password and SSID.

0.0999999% of people use some of the additional features of the vanilla firmware.

0.0000001% are power users that need third party firmware.
>>
>>53276317
/r/theydidthemath
>>
>>53276317
>I am the 0.0000001%
>>
>>53273801
Because I use pfsense famer
>>
File: WP_20160302 - Copy (2).jpg (1 MB, 3072x1728) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160302 - Copy (2).jpg
1 MB, 3072x1728
Been running OpenWRT on TP- Link routers for got knows how long.
>Just yesterday bought second hand TP-Link WDR 3600 router for 20E.
>Put OpenWRT on it.
>Dual band, two USB ports router for 20E

>Feelsgood.jpg
>>
Unfortunately, the FCC has killed the aftermarket firmware as Qualcomm has started to crawl into the unlicensed 5Ghz band for LTE. Corporate interests defeat people's privacy yet again.
>>
>>53275373

That's not the reason. Have very slow wrt54gs running tomato and QoS and when traffic gets too high for router to handle load average goes over 1.00 everything starts to slow down and lag but router never crashes.
>>
>>53275524
>>53277500
hm, ok. I'll check if another firmware is available for my router
>>
>that feeling when you still run tomato on a WRT54G
My internet just isn't fast enough to warrant getting a new router, and I don't mind the speeds on local transfers, either.
>>
>>53273801
They absolutely botch my speeds, all of them. I don't even have a router anymore.
>>
I have an older Asus RT-N15U router that's not supported by DD-WRT or Open WRT.
The closest model available is RT-N15, but I have read reports of R15U's bricking when people tried to flash with R15 firmwares.
(The only difference between the two models was the existence of a USB port)

Never mind, I'm experienced with linux and don't mind tweaking and compiling my own stuff. So I set out to find a tutorial for building my own DD-WRT image for my router model.
Surprise, surprise, there are none.
The guys who made the images just manage to do it somehow. I even had a MIPS toolchain set up, but I could find no guide for making my own images.

After a few days of pointless googling I gave up and moved on to other things.
>>
>>53276830
Same setup here, it's pretty good!
Nevertheless I will build my own Router soon, as the Processor of th TP-link isn't fast enough for high speed vpn.
>>
File: iH502pS.png (53 KB, 774x522) Image search: [Google]
iH502pS.png
53 KB, 774x522
did 4 routers, all of them TP links
got home two of them as wireless access points for my DSL router/modem

hope TP link will bother and allows custom firmware or I am done with them
>>
>y2k + 16
>using consumer grade router with any firmware
>not using dual-NIC mini-ITX box + pfSense
stay pleb
>>
>>53275373
>QOS
What is QOS?
>>
>>53273801
I don't because i don't now any affordable routr that supports OpenWrt and VDSL (80/10mbit)

>>53277650
and pay twice the price in hardware and 4 times as much in power...
>>
>>53277700
>what is google
Quality of Service, AKA traffic shaping/throttling. Useful for shared networks where some users can't be trusted to not abuse their connection.

>>53277730
Well, yeah, if you're buying a barely function $50 linksys from Best Buy. Here, it's a good read. http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/01/numbers-dont-lie-its-time-to-build-your-own-router/
>>
>>53276317
>0.0000001% are power users that need third party firmware.
About 3 billion people use the Internet [1]
Even when assuming that every single Internet user have their own router, that would amount to only 300 users with 3rd party firmware.

Assuming 2 users share 1 router on the average, that would be only 150 users of third party users, INCLUDING the developers.

Your number is clearly wrong.

[1] http://time.com/money/3896219/internet-users-worldwide/
>>
>>53277650
My Internet connection actually is better when using OpenWRT with fq_codel on the same TP-Link as >>53276830 has than on pfSense.

Using pfSense now, and my Internet connection bandwidth degrades so quickly I have to set the interface to disconnect and then reconnect once daily. Also, the implementation of codel on pfSense isn't near as good at eliminating bufferbloat.

And yes, I'm using an Intel NIC.
>>
>>53277700
Quality of Service. It prioritizes particular types of traffic or packets. One of the best settings for QOS is prioritizing ACK packets. It really makes connections better when you're using a lot of upload (like seeding torrents). Normally the whole connection would choke if I maxed the upload speed but with ACK packets prioritized it runs buttery smooth, I can play games and still do max up.
>>
>>53277635
You spelled DSL wrong on your picture
>>
>>53277790
Ah, I don't use any of the QoS stuff, so I wouldn't know.
>>
>>53273801
Because that shit can brick your router if you're not careful. Well, even if people are 'careful' they can still brick it because of anything. Like not understanding the instructions, or not following everything.
>>
>>53277843
Only QoS I have set is a codel queue on my WAN interface.

The connection bandwidth issues happen are unrelated to QoS, though. Really bothers me that what I use as a router makes a difference, especially considering that I'm using a modem/router in bridge mode to provide access to the Internet.
>>
I know about them, but for my needs there's no reason to install it. I'm fine with normal offerings.
>>
>>53277932
That's pretty shitty. Also, any reason/benefit to having a queue on WAN?
>>
>>53277791
nice
>>
>>53277967
In my case, reducing bufferbloat.

If I don't do anything to reduce bufferbloat on my Internet connection, high speed downloads cause a ton of latency and packet loss.
>>
File: hekCaWw.jpg (52 KB, 500x749) Image search: [Google]
hekCaWw.jpg
52 KB, 500x749
>>53273801
Because my dick don't work.
>>
>>53273801

A lot of people don't even know what a router is. I run Tomato on mine, it's useful for ad-blocking and monitoring network traffic.
>>
>>53277598
>They absolutely botch my speeds, all of them.
I had the same problem. I just stick with stock now.
>>
>>53277598
You go bareback with the internet? Gross dude.
>>
I installed DD-WRT but couldn't get it to connect to internet, although I changed local addresses accordingly, so I switched back to TP-Link.
>>
>>53278182
Pic related.

codel on pfSense is doing fuck all right now. Tethered to my phone's 4G data just to post this.
>>
>>53279234
So, tried the wizard-generated QoS rules. Absolutely fucked my network performance.

Quality fucking software.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.