[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
self-driving setback
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 6
File: car.jpg (31 KB, 420x261) Image search: [Google]
car.jpg
31 KB, 420x261
> Google self-driving car strikes public bus in California

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/03/01/google-self-driving-car-strikes-public-bus-in-california
>>
>>53261206
>struck the right side of the bus, which was going straight at 15 mph (24 kph)
>bus
>going straight at 15 mph

major fuckup
>>
Bus drivers don't yield to anything, bus drivers are assholes
>>
We had this thread already:
>>53257221

Long story short, if the bus was driven by an AI the accident would not have happened.
>>
thinkpad setback

> IBM self compiling thinkpad fell to the ground in California

It's over, twitter is finished
>>
shit like this is why these things are no ready for prime time. sandbags over a fucking drain is not reason to move the damn car into another one. that thing is a fucking suv it could have simply driven over them at 2 mph
>>
>>53261227
Does it mention how fast the car was going?
>>
>>53261311
>It's over, twitter is finished
that's probably true, SJWs killed it
>>
>>53261307
>software bugs do not happen
Why are you so willing to let evil corporations like alphabet control infrastructure?
>>
>The Lexus was going 2 mph
tragic
>>
>>53261328
yes

>The Lexus was going 2 mph (3 kph)
>>
>>53261355
The bus did not yield and the car assumed the bus driver would follow the rules of the road.
I'd take software bugs over human bugs.

We're not comparing AI cars to perfection here, we're comparing them to humans.
Like I said in the previous thread:
Human drivers cause 20,000+ deaths a year.
This is roughly 10 9/11s every year, and how much do we spend on traffic safety compared with anti-terrorism crap?
Take the NSA and stick them on self-driving car AI and they'll save orders of magnitudes more lives.

People's priorities are completely fucked.
>>
>>53261370
>roughly 10 9/11s every year
I like how you're thinking.
>>
>>53261370
I'm pretty sure the bus was just minding its own business, going in straight line

the article even says google accepted responsibility

of course google's lawyers will be all over this to fuck the bus driver, but the fact is that the thing missed A FUCKING BUS.
>>
Still a better driver than most women. How many crashes in how many hours/miles of driving?
>>
File: 1456772909361.jpg (14 KB, 300x266) Image search: [Google]
1456772909361.jpg
14 KB, 300x266
>>53261387
>>
>>53261370

It was google's car that switched to the lane the bus was already in. The ai thought the driver would yield and "rushed in".

>it already drives like an human

Now seriously, it had a few bumps already, but this news because it's the first time that was the ai causing the hit.
>>
>>53261405
>but the fact is that the thing missed A FUCKING BUS.
It knew the bus was there.
This is just a refinement of the google AI, after this event all self driving cars will have a 'bus drivers are assholes' subroutine.

That leads me to another point- any mistake a self driving AI makes will get sent to every other self driving car. As in, every single car will learn from the mistake of any of them. Can you say the same for human drivers?
>>
>>53261605
I don't think it's easy to "learn from mistakes" and incorporate it into their super complex algorithm. It will probably take them months.
>>
>>53261605
>after this event all self driving cars will have a 'bus drivers are assholes' subroutine.
What happens when they meet a nice bus driver?
>>
>>53261682
They'll put that next to the plan for the 'what if the car is on the moon' subroutine
>>
>>53261710
>They'll put that
what exactly? and try to imagine how much existing stuff you can mess up with adding something new
>>
>>53261682

Do what you should always do: assume on principle everyone else can't drive for shit.
>>
has anybody else realized that the car decided to save one human (and itself) by running a bus full of innocent children off the road?
god help us all
>>
From talking to people, we don't want self driving cars. All we want is better assistance to 1) back up and get out of a parking spot 2) merge better into a highway.

Self driving cars are just barking up an unwanted, irrelevant, condescending tree
>>
>>53261794
Paperclip apocalypse is coming.

>>53261206
Seriously though bus drivers are assholes, saw one pull out on a guy who was basically beside him going 80, miracle it didn't cause an accident.
>>
>>53261816
I'd like a self-driving car. I could read or wank or eat while 'driving' which sounds pretty neat. Sort of like a private public transportation that can go anywhere.
>>
>>53261816
what kind of old people are you talking to?
everybody i talk to cant wait.
i would love to see a day when drunk drivers arent behind the wheel, people eating/drinking fast food, looking at their gps going 70mph....people going 30 on a 70mph road. "its all good guys, i have my emergency lights on"
i saw an old guy pass out at a redlight yesterday. thank god he was at a red light and it didnt happen while he was driving.
now imagine if we had a car that could automatically pull over and call for help.
rubber neckers
people who are on their phones while its at a redlight and just sit there at a green.
i could go on and on
>>
I honestly think the bus driver felt his job was threatened and decided to collide with the self-driving car. Who needs bus drivers if the bus can drive itself?
>>
>>53261794
That car is worth more than a bus full of brainwashed liberal children.
>>
>>53261794
this is the kind of shit they'll have to deal with

>algorithms deciding which human(s) to kill

next thing you know, we have algorithmic law enforcement, imposing SJW utopia on society
>>
>>53261794
what movie is that from?
>>
>>53261858
all sorts of people. We just need those two things, not "this"
>>
>>53261870
Google is probably one of the most liberal tech companies.
>>
Buses are a fucking hazard on the street anyways
They get to ridiculous sizes on our narrow ass streets
>>
>>53261981
>tech companies

m8, they're a glorified search engine
>>
>>53261307
That doesn't mean we should require bus ais in everything
If anything, this means that no vehicles should have Ai unless they get their own little special snowflake safe space roads (not happening with current economy)
Good luck convincing people to have an Ai to drive their kid to school after this shit storm GoogleIDF
>>
>doesn't know
Really?

I, robot.
>>
>it was a minor accident
Doesn't matter, this will generate a massive amount of bad press for Google. People were already voicing these concerns and this just gives them the example they need to galvanize their fear.

>the bus wasn't following the rules of the road
Shocking. Most people operators suck at driving. Ever notice how every city in the US the worst drivers in the US according to the natives? That's not a coincidence. Unfortunately part of driving implies that you don't make right assumptions about what other drivers will do, you have to drive defensively.

>if all cars were Google AI driven then this would not have happened
Maybe, but replacing all human drivers with AI is not a goal that can be reached anytime soon. Some people like to drive, taking away their cars will be harder than taking away their guns. Google needed to prove that their self driving cars were viable on roads today, then the weening process could begin.
>>
>>53261370
> pro nsa
> peoples priorities are completely fucked
The irony
>>
>>53262037

And meant to reply to
>>53261938
>>
>>53262040
>every city in the US has the worst
>rigid assumptions
>>
>>53261405
Exactly, buses have a schedule and way more stopping distance than other vehicles, they're not stopping for shit, and drivers for things like school buses straight up have the right to write you a ticket, they know what they're doing. A bus driver shouldn't have to be worrying about kamikaze SUVs trying to commit sepuku over a cat on the road because somebody at Google loves cats come on now
Property one should have been to miss the bus, somebody fucked up
>>
>>53262037
>>53262052
>2004
I'm 12 and what is this
>>
The tl;dr is that the google car needs to be programmed to hog as much of a double wide lane to deter people from trying to pass it when making right turns to help avoid side swipes from the scenario that happened.
>google car in double wide lane making right turn but obstruction on road near curb
>bus to its side but behind tries to go around google car
>google car veers left swiping side of bus
>should have hogged more of the wide lane to give it more space to move around.
>>
>>53262051
>reading comprehension
He said the NSA should fuck off and improve self-driving cars instead, shithead.
>>
Buses are fucking retarded. I get stuck behind them on my ebike all the time when they take over the bike lane and right-hand shoulder. 90% of the time they are completely empty in my town and spew black shit everywhere. I'd rather have cities subsidize taxis/uber/lyft instead.
>>
>>53261631
>>53261739

What is machine learning?
>>
>>53261858
> grandpa
Go back to watching pewdiepie and cs go tournaments kid
>>
>>53262101
Read the article before shitposting. Google's car was basically standing still, waiting to move left. It saw a gap which should have been enough had the bus driver fucking slowed down like any civil driver would.
>>
>>53262161
Regional dialects, kiddo
>>
>>53261631
>>53261739

these cars are barely hard coded at all

their mla's are constructed using VAST amounts of data about human driver behavior
>>
>>53262144
what is fail proof and immense complexity ? it's not like they're running a single standard algorithm like SVM.

buzz phrases are not gonna solve this problem.
>>
File: 1452742885551.gif (3 MB, 273x206) Image search: [Google]
1452742885551.gif
3 MB, 273x206
>>53261605
>a 'bus drivers are assholes' subroutine
Kek'd audibly
>>
>>53262133
That's not really fucking off
If anything it would hand them the keys(literally) to even more data
Who needs GPS when you literally just gave direct access to all of the car black box logs to the nsa they wouldn't even have to store the data just keep it all on the car. The excuse to tap your car is hands free phone call shit to make you WANT microphones in your car
They won't fuck off until they stop getting blank checks don't kid yourself
>>
>>53262239
apple will never allow that
>>
>>53262166
Of you have so much reading comprehension, try reading some drivers ed material
You do not slow down or speed up during a lane change and it's the lane changers responsibly to yield

> civil
> angry baboon words
Ok kid
>>
>>53262263
>You do not slow down or speed up during a lane change and it's the lane changers responsibly to yield
What? If you change lanes close to your exit you slow down while you change.
>>
>>53262282
You're doing it wrong
Go highway speed on the highway, then don't slow down until after you're in the exit lane/ramp or you're just contesting everybody behind you
>>
>>53262322
...thats simply not how it works, especially if the ramp is winding and your cars brakes arent what they used to be
>>
>>53262322
Congesting *
>>
>>53262331
That's not how you drive personally, but that's how you're supposed to drive and how the bus driver drive
Buy some brakes and stop causing traffic on the highway
>>
>>53261206
Did anyone really think an accident wouldn't of happened with a self driving car?

The most important part is getting enough miles on the road to see the amount of accidents it gets per mile compared to human drivers.
>>
>>53262348
I dont cause traffic on the highway. You're simply being an asshole. Some off ramps have sharp turns right away, others have long designated straight areas. Are you playing Devil's Advocate?
>>
how do cops stop such a car?
>>
I just realized Finland has 0 good newsletters. All of the ones I checked reported this news incorrectly by stating that Google's car did something wrong (legally, they didn't) when they merely stated they had some part in it
>>
>>53262331
That is simply how it works. If you're not capable of going the speed limit on the highway then you shouldn't be on the highway.
>>
>>53262373
But but automation is magic and humans are stupid.
>>
>>53261794
>implying a multimillion dollar car that leads to multi-billion dollar business market is worth less than a couple of poor fags who can't afford cars.
>>
>>53262391
I've been driving for 15 years on the highway twice a day. No accidents, the only time ive ever been pulled over is when I drove my dad's car and the police saw that his license was expired and pulled me over even though he wasnt in the car. Oh, and some van hit my bumper while I was parked at my work.

You are a troll
>>
>>53262471
You don't know how to drive, and you are upset that you are being pointed out for not knowing how to drive.
>>
>>53261370
the bus did not have to yield, it is up to the vehicle attempting to merge to wait until it is safe to do so.

the bus did follow the rules of the road, and it won
>>
>>53262377
For the bus, yeah
I'm such an asshole, pointing out the laws of the road to Google shills
>>
>>53262508
You are a troll, thinking all exit ramps are long and straight. This is not the case. Just go away idiot
>>
>>53262549
You really should reread the drivers handbook. They don't have to be long and straight for you to know how to step on the brakes.
>>
File: Autism_Speaks_Logo.jpg (12 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
Autism_Speaks_Logo.jpg
12 KB, 400x400
>>53262239
It was a fucking joke you sperg, you don't have to take everything literally.
>>
>>53262607
nowhere in the drivers handbook does it say you much remain at the highway speed limit until your left tires cross the line and enter the ramp, where you could have 30 mph turn 50-100 feet in front of you.

it would be far more dangerous to immediately brake from 65 to 35 then to simply reduce speed to 55-50 in the right hand lane and then merge off to continue to reduce speed.

im not even the person you are talking to, but you cant win this dumb fucking argument
>>
Who cares self driving cars will not be here on a consumer level while any of us are alive

Will be here in maybe 125 years
>>
File: 1446412808928.png (8 KB, 255x255) Image search: [Google]
1446412808928.png
8 KB, 255x255
>>53262607
fuck off, the speed limit on my highway is 65 mph. The off ramp to my house is a spiral, the amount of flat distance before the spiral begins is about 35 feet, and its downhill at a 45 degree angle. Nobody goes onto this ramp without breaking first or at least taking their foot off the gas.

Again - why are you trolling?
>>
This isn't unexpected. And the NHTSB will look at this and see it as more evidence that self-driving features on cars are just "operator aides" that require a licensed driver behind the wheel at all times.
>>
>>53262668
>maybe in 125 years
look back 125 years, we barely had cars back then...
>>
>>53262675
>why are you trolling?

Why do you keep saying that? It's fucking weird.
>>
>>53262607
There's a reason why the right lane is considered the "slow" lane, it's because of on/off ramps...

The whole point of the right lane is that it's slower than the rest of the traffic because people have to slow down before going on the Off ramps, and people entering into the highway without enough speed on the On ramps.
>>
>>53261206
>human drivers cause tens of thousands of traffic fatalities every year in the US alone
>no one questions the right of humans to drive
>self-driving car scrapes the side of a bus at low speeds, not even any damage to either vehicle
>people are up in arms claiming this is proof that the whole concept will never work
I don't fucking get it.
>>
>>53262757
I think the response has been pretty tame in the mass public. Most people aren't even that mad, especially considering how minor the accident was...
>>
>>53261278
This is not true in my town.
I live in a subburb in CA.

On an unrelated note, Google will attempt to convince the courts that this was an avoidable fluke and is not likely to happen again, despite the inevitability of it.
I'm curious to see how the self driving cars are going to proceed, with all the hubbub about it.
>>
>>53262757
You've found the baseline of every single problem in existence, good for you.
>>
I just want a car that can get me home when I'm absolutely hammered.
>>
>>53262757
Its only a matter of time before it kills a white person because it was analyzing something irrelevant or the wi-fi cuts out
>>
Can we please ban this threat to public safety already?
>>
>>53261206
>muh READY IN 10 YEARS WE SWEAR technology
>>
>>53263015
Pretty sure governments will make a law that forbids you to enter a car even when it's a self-driving car m8.
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.