[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Chromium vs Cuckfox
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 2
File: s13.jpg (121 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
s13.jpg
121 KB, 1000x1000
What is the /g/ approved browser?

On the one hand Chromium is quite fast and comfy... But on the otherhand Firecuck is a lot more customizable and flexible.

Which should I use? In the wiki it says that Chromium is not free and spies on you, is that true? Is Firefox any different really?
>>
P A L E M O O N
A
L
E
M
O
O
N
>>
>>53255434
>Cuckholdmoon

What is even the difference desu
>>
Lynx
>>
>>53255434
>he fell for the palemoon meme
poor soul
>>
>>53255429
firefox dev edition
>>
Mozzarella Firedog has Downthemall and you can pretty radically change the interface.

That's all that's holding me back from using chromium, desu.
>>
chromium been hangine and cusing time outs... think animation loading bug
>>
>>53255557
>That's all that's holding me back from using chromium, desu.

Why desu? I am literally the opposite and the only thing holding me back from using Firedog is the fact that videos play like shit for me for some reason and I can't figure out how to fix it. I like how much more addons firedog has.

Chromium is ok I guess but it's nothing special imo, also a little worried about all the spying because that's what the wiki says and it seems a little sketchy.
>>
Serious questions, how about chromium and privacy? Not being logged into the Google Account obviously
>>
I use Chrome Beta on my phone, Icecat on my laptop. Firefox on Android is too fucking slow and clunky to use.
>>
>>53255807
This. Please respond /g/ays.

Hella curious desu. It seems nice but I'm highly skeptical of the privacy.
>>
>>53255592

Just use a firewall and block all requests for Google domains
>>
>>53255807

>uBlock
>disable 3rd party cookies
>HTTPS Everywhere
>use a firewall and block all Google requests

I'm missing some things but you get the gist
>>
>>53255853
>>53255862
>Block requests to google domains

How are we suppose to do this and/or know what they are?
Couldn't there be thousands of them?

Btw it's funny you mention uBlock.

>Go on Chrome webstore
>Search uBlock Origin
>First result is a fucking malware addon disguised to look like uBlock
>several dozens reviews saying it's a scam and do not install
>Nearly fucking installed it because wasn't paying attention and figured first result would be the right one because no one is this retarded to not vet add-ons or at least not leave them in top place

How the shit is that even possible? Isn't Google suppose to be a search engine company with the strongest search algorithm in the world? How did they manage to let a malware fake-addon get to top result for a VERY popular addon?
>>
>>53255913
Well?
>>
>>53256206
Well?
>>
>>53255913
Well????
>>
GNU/IceCat masterrace reporting in
all the addons and it respects your freedoms
>>
>>53256594
>Icecat
>Good
>>
>>53256594
>He uses memaycat
>>
>>53255429
curl
>>
>>53255913
>he thinks uBlock is the real fucking thing
Oh, you poor SOUL, you.
>>
>>53256894
What?
>>
>>53256816
>Sulinder

Poo in loo u monkey
>>
Chromium. Firecocks doesn't even get close to the power and speed of Chromium. I regularly open up hundreds of tabs on Chromium with no ill effects; try doing the same thing on Firefox, it won't work. Furthermore, Chromium doesn't slow down and freeze every time I open up a webpage, or does it crash when a single tab goes bad.

Not to mention the fact that the Gecko rendering engine is extremely slow and poor; WebKit/Blink is superior, in performance and quality.

Chromium is an excellent browser -- it is both of free software and of power; Firecocks just cannot compete.
>>
NoScript
>>
Well consider the fact that pwn2own is not even including firefucks anymore because it's too easy to hack

http://it.slashdot.org/story/16/02/12/034206/pwn2own-2016-wont-attack-firefox-because-its-too-easy

2 years ago it was also deemed the least secure browser by pwn2own http://www.extremetech.com/computing/178587-firefox-is-still-the-least-secure-web-browser-falls-to-four-zero-day-exploits-at-pwn2own

and in 2015 it was hacked in half a second by a cross-origin vulnerability. http://www.zdnet.com/article/pwn2own-2015-the-year-every-browser-went-down/

Look I love the browser but I also don't want to get hacked 24/7
>>
>>53257176
>I regularly open up hundreds of tabs on Chromium
how do you even find them?
>>
>>53257336
I typically have some windows open. Each window focuses on a specific topic -- so I would have all of my research tabs in one window, 4chan tabs in another, et cetera. Now, often the titles aren't visible (or are barely visible), which requires one to memorize the favicon of each website. This isn't too big of an issue though, either -- I just make a mental note. It's an excellent system, and allows me access to a true internet superhighway.
>>
>>53257281
And this is different for Chromium?
>>
>>53257639
yes, read the fucking articles m8
>>
>Chrome
faster, limited functionality in addon

>Firefox
slower, better addons

pick your poison
>>
>>53257639
yes, Chrome has really good sandboxing that makes up for that swiss-cheese of an engine called webkit
>>
>>53257679
Fug.

But what are privacy concerns?

How can we make Chromium respect our privacy and freedoms? Is such a thing even possible?
>>
>>53257706
>How can we make Chromium respect our privacy and freedoms? Is such a thing even possible?
how does it violate your freedoms and privacy?
>>
>>53257706
I thought that's already hat Chromium did, less botnet?
>>
>>53257720
>>53257722
Telemetry to Google.

Collects dats for "statistics", keeps annoying you to sign into your Google account.
>>
>>53257733
can you back this up with actual source?
>>
Is Chromium a troll or not?

>/g/ is against chrome but supports chromium

It's gotta be a troll. I'm not falling for it again.
>>
>>53257706
>>53257720
>>53257733

Chromium is a piece of free software. Thus, it can simply be modified for a user's use case. Furthermore, there is actually not real significant tracking issues within Chromium. The only time these would come up is if one was using the Google search engine/omnibox, which is already to be expected. Otherwise there is nothing within Chromium that infringes upon privacy.
>>
>>53257864
What about the voice recognition thing that was later removed by maintainers?

It's mentioned in the installgentoo wiki as a significant concern.
>>
>>53257886
Once again, you can simply modify the source code and get rid of this. However, with a real, quality GNU + Linux distribution such as Gentoo, the binary blobs on Chromium are optional anyway so there is no need to worry there.
>>
>>53257914
I use Debian and they don't seek to be optional.

How do I get rid of them?
>>
>>53257914
>you can simply modify the source code and get rid of this
>simply modify the source code
>>
File: 1456116146129.jpg (91 KB, 454x720) Image search: [Google]
1456116146129.jpg
91 KB, 454x720
>>53255439
Less bloat.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.