[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how does /g/ feel about these?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 4
File: i5 nuc.png (325 KB, 943x616) Image search: [Google]
i5 nuc.png
325 KB, 943x616
how does /g/ feel about these?
>>
I don't
>>
I think the only thing gayer than them is your dad.
>>
Huge rip-off.
>>
>>53253835
>not very gay then
your mums puss taste good btw
>>
>>53253837
not as bad as apple products
>>
>>53253809
Cozy little servers for things too intense for *Pi's or other SBC's.

I've got a Gigabyte BRIX + hypervisor running Greylog plus a handful of silly VM labs.
>>
>>53253884
true
>>
>>53253809
Nice small, efficient and fairly cheap HTPC. As long as all you need it do is act as a Kodi front-end.

If you require it to start doing multiple real-time transcodes like Plex Media Server you're in for a real hurt.
>>
If you ask around /csg/, there are chinese ones which cost as little as half of the cost of intel shit.
>>
>>53253920
I trust intel over cheep Chinese tech
>>
>>53253918
>If you require it to start doing multiple real-time transcodes like Plex Media Server you're in for a real hurt.
This is my problem with them, though it would be really nice to have my media server small and not such a fucking wattage hog.

the ones with decent cpus end up costing an absurd amount
>>
>>53253961
I think that's mainly because decent cpus cost an absurd amount
>>
>>53253809
I use one as a linux development environment, and it's working pretty well for me.
>>
>>53254011
why?
>>
>>53254011
this is the main reason I want one so I can play with Linux get into coding and be paranoid about botnet like the rest of /g/
>>
>>53253884
this. Flatscreen sales may increase
>>
>>53253831
wew lad
>>
>>53253809
I have a Lenovo Thincentre m93p. It works as a great little esxi servee at the moment. Only has 8Gb ram but looking to expand that to 16. Dunno what to do about hdd size. I have a 4TB usb3 to attach to it but have to disable usb arbitor on the host, which i dont like.

It runs all my networking labs, very nice little machine
>>
>>53253930
They use Atom processors though
>>
>>53253961
They make -S series i5 CPUs that use less electricity and have a lower TDP. The i5-4690S has a 65W TDP. Not sure what its energy use is compared to the plain 4690 though. But they are priced pretty much the same as the -K series. And obviously Intel does lock the multiplier.
>>
>>53254036
>linux
>coding
>botnet
stop eating the memes so much, you'll get fat.

There are cheaper ways to do it without turning yourself into a fedoralord.
>>
>>53254074
so you are saying, programming and linux are a meme??? are u retarded??
>>
>>53254063
>HDD size
Run a SAN fgt
>>
>>53254074
such as?
>>
>>53254034
I wanted another computer to put in my office so I could be away from my gaming PC while I'm working. Just to mitigate distraction really.
>>
>>53254083
No, you retard.
If you haven't figured it out by now that you're essentially having people lead your life for you, then you're basically a meme-eating retard.
It's painfully obvious that you have no experience with any of the above and this is a situation that you should rectify as soon as possible.

>>53254093
Run it on your own PC. Install Linux from Scratch. If you're going to do something stop being so basic about it.
>>
>>53254111
id rather not fuck around with my 2k pc thanks.

id rather play with a relatively cheap little brick on the side as apposed to bloating my pc with shit I'm just playing around with
>>
>>53254147
>bloating
>linux
just stop posting
>>
>>53253809

awesome but far too expensive
>>
>>53254147
There's really no danger outside of when you're making new partitions.

If you're curious but that worried about fucking up, you can just get a cheap hard drive to do everything on.
>>
>>53253930
It's the same shit.
>>
>>53254169
I'm talking trying different programs getting used to different os and coding projects

if I really like a particular os I may change
id rather not trial and error my main rig
>>
>>53254227
>id rather not trial and error my main rig
Why? You don't do anything important with it. Just make a full image of your current OS and do whatever the fuck you want.

As long as you don't literally break the PC or drive holding the image then you lose absolutely nothing except time spent exploring Linux.
>>
>>53253809

I HATE ALL THINGS LIVING, DEAD, OR THINGS THAT WERE NEVER LIVING IN THE FIRST PLACE.

I HATE THAT PIECE OF SHIT. NO MORE OR LESS THAN THE KEYBOARD I'M TYPING THIS ON OR THE MONITOR I AM USING TO VIEW THE THINGS I TYPE.

I HATE IT ALL AND I HATE YOU TOO, OP.

Hope this helped.
>>
>>53253809
The fuck is it.
>>
>>53254260
emo faggot
>>
>>53254085
Dont need a SAN mate, try again
>>
>>53254325
its a little pc mate
>>
>>53254260
tell us how you really feel anon
>>
>>53254515
>implying we care
>>
>>53254515

Just felt like shitposting. What better place that /b/ for computers?
>>
>>53254620
>/b/ for computers

This is the most insightful thing I've seen on 4chan all month.
>>
>>53253809
They're overpriced by a bit.
I do with I could find one with a few NICs so I could use it as a nice little firewall.
>>
>>53253809
Frankly, it's a throw-away. If it breaks down, toss it in the e-waste bin, it's not repairable. As such I have no interest. I'd much rather have the motherboard, processor, graphics, and any other traditionally non-motherboard functions on add-in cards, so they can be replaced if they fail. The NUC may as well be potted in solid epoxy for all the good it does you.
>>
>>53254695
kek
>>
>>53254695
Not really. Literally every board on 4chan is /b/ for "thing".
>>
We use some i3 thin clients at work with two monitors. They work remarkably well. I run 3 browsers a once, Android Studio, torrents, btsync, 2 chat clients, fuckin everything I run at home except for games. I think they're pretty good
>>
Dell Inspiron 3050 Micro

i bought one about 6 months ago.
frys had a ~40% sale on it.
original price: 210$
paid: 140%
upgraded the ram to 8gb.
runs decent. not great at multi-tasking.
surprisingly my old ASUS EeePC nettop, (about the size and thickness of a regular hardback book), was better at HD videos. (slow as shit with everything else)
the 2010 pc also had an nvidia chip so playing HD videos barely cracked 3% CPU usage.
this brand new dell micro-computer gets to 50% CPU usage with the same 1080p videos. that was a real goddamn buzzkill considering i like to have my tv shows play while i surf the web which means the web browser could only use less than %50 percent....which meant that both the video would hiccup and the web-browser would hang all the time.
ended up giving it to my mother and took her PC (that i gave her 2 years before). it was a dell i found in an electronic recycling bin. she only ever goes on facebook.
>>
>>53253809
I use one as my main computer because I'm not a faggot GAYMER who needs a oven + vacuum machine combo with bright LEDs everywhere to indicated to everyone how much of a manchild I am.
>>
>>53253809
what is it?
>>
File: shadow.png (100 KB, 168x239) Image search: [Google]
shadow.png
100 KB, 168x239
>>53256468
Why don't you tell us how you really feel?
>>
>>53253809
Looks intresting but i would try a Zotec first.
>>
File: IMG_20160220_202553.jpg (3 MB, 4096x3072) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160220_202553.jpg
3 MB, 4096x3072
I use a fitlet-i barebones as a wifi router and NAS server. Running on Linux.
>>
I think it would be a neat little device for having a fuckaround Linux install on you can take anywhere
>>
>>53253865
>admitting to eating pussy
What a beta faggot
>>
Kawaii as fuck.
>>
File: zotac_zbox_id18_mit_xbmc_2.jpg (126 KB, 850x700) Image search: [Google]
zotac_zbox_id18_mit_xbmc_2.jpg
126 KB, 850x700
Got pic related about 2 years ago for £80.

Had a spare ssd and bought a 4gb stick of ram. It's just hooked up to my TV in the living room for plex, jewtube and music.

It only has a celeron 1007u dual core but it handles windows and chrome fine.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.