[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
With piracy as rampant as it is, what's the best way to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 6
With piracy as rampant as it is, what's the best way to gain income as a software developer?
>>
>>53237133
become a camwhore trap
>>
There are plenty of jobs in software development.

If you can't land one in this environment, you're useless.
>>
>>53237133
online only software, all the time
>>
>>53237320

This senpai.
>>
>>53237133
Server-side code can't be pirated :^)
>>
>>53237155
>This right here.

I got a job after saying what a block of memory can do if your programs is memory leaking. I simply said it overloads into other address spaces and can crash stuff. I got the job.
>>
don't make games and don't make android apps
there you've avoided piracy
>>
>>53237133
>With piracy as rampant as it is, what's the best way to gain income as a software developer?
what has piracy to do with making money as a software developer ?
>>
File: open-graph-default.png (7 KB, 1200x630) Image search: [Google]
open-graph-default.png
7 KB, 1200x630
Software as a service. Monthly subscription. It's where the industry seems to be going.
>>
ALWAYS
DRM
>>
>>53237133
real money is always in sucking corporate cock in a cube. make a dece six figgies supporting some thrown together bullshit turnkey solution, don't spend like you're new money, retire at 40 before the whole thing implodes.
>>
Respect your customers and don't fuck them in the ass.
>>
>>53237463
Basically this. SaaS is where it's at.
>>
Contracting.

Software that's actually worth thousands of dollars must be made custom. Software with pretty obvious and strong FOSS competition (everything except DAWs and image editing) shouldn't cost more than 20$ per person anyway.

These days software is used as a marketing tool, not the product itself, so it doesn't actually matter and plenty of businesses will give you software for free.
>>
>>53237150
I'm ok with this
>>
File: mono.jpg (14 KB, 245x226) Image search: [Google]
mono.jpg
14 KB, 245x226
worked for billy
>>
>>53237133

Make a program worth buying
>>
git gud

I buy gaymes when they're good.
I donate accordingly when I like the software.
I block all ads cause fuck you.
>>
Fake your own death move to Papua New Guinea and become the kingpin of an illegal Rare Animal Trade Tor hidden service
>>
File: download (2).jpg (7 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
download (2).jpg
7 KB, 275x183
>>53239887
>Why buy a good program when you can get it for free?
>>
>>53237586
Basically this.

The downside of course is having enough experience to get into contracting.

But yeah. Some companies pay stupid money for generic software, smart ones just hire developers to have it tailor made.
>>
>>53239997
Because its illegal. If you're a tiny little company, or some guy using it for hobby work, it doesn't matter, pirate it. It's very little lost money. If you're a big company, you will pay for it because its worth the money and it would fuck you over getting caught not buying it.

Any decent company will buy dev tools for its developers if the devs so much as think it might help a little.
>>
>>53237133

Be such a charitable dev that "pirates" feed you and invite you to their places to stay.

No income necessary when one lives by the true teachings of Jesus.
>>
>>53240009
The reason it's hard to get into contracting, or any STEM really, is because of a wide array of problems, from globalisation to political correctness and even the financial crisis. Having "enough experience" is simply the excuse they're giving you to dismiss you, especially if you're a graduate, because it's fucking retarded to expect experience from graduates.
>>
>>53240078

Add comments into all your code, asking for gifts of food and lodging, and sharing biblical quotes.
Make all your code FOSS (LGPL or whatever).
>>
>>53237133
Learn the FOSS philosophy and free your mine, brother.
>>
>>53237133
Sell free software to normies. It's entirely legal.
>>
>>53237133
Be paid to develop, not to sell.

How do you think open source developers gain money?
>>
>>53239997
If you're a business, research or education you better license all your software or prepare to get raped in court.
>>
You might want to program some bots and malware. If you can't earn your money like a decent human being, at least try to scam your way to the top.
>>
>>53240208
>*gpl
blech
BSD Master Race
>>
>>53240208
>>53240078

>>53240687
Yes, BSD! because giving, even to the rich, is the Saintly way.
>>
>>53240687
>>53240723

Hope you like your code of conduct, sempai. :^)
>>
>>53240754
I was talking about the license, but I dearly hope you are not vying for sucking GNU+RMS' chode whether you want to or not only for having an optional linkage to readline
>>
>>53240647
I crack peoples wifi and steal money from their bank accounts literally on their own computer without them knowing.

I force my way to the top whether anyone likes it or not.
>>
>>53237133

make your code be dependent on server (see all steam multiplayer games)
>>
>>53237150

I plan to become a Youtube whorein half year :3 I'm a girl, btw. I plan to play games
>>
>>53237150
>tfw manly men
I-i guess it's time to be one of the few gay camwhores.
>>
>>53241665
too late that market is flooded
>>
File: jew.jpg (43 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
jew.jpg
43 KB, 1280x720
>>53239962
>>
>>53237133
you don't. welcome to the age of modern web development.
>>
Sell B2B. Consumer software is never where the money is
>>
File: 1271899641404.jpg (20 KB, 350x234) Image search: [Google]
1271899641404.jpg
20 KB, 350x234
>Nobody pays for your software and you need the money
>"What does that have to do with being a software developer?"

I've never cringed harder
>>
>>53237133
1. Write good, high quality code
2. Get hired

Notice how all developers of proprietary products are those who fail to deliver on #1
>>
piracy is less rampant than ever
>>
enterprise
>>
>>53237150
Seems like a plan
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.