[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello. I am a user of the three systems (Windows, OSX and Linux)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 1
File: lionux-tux.jpg (282 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
lionux-tux.jpg
282 KB, 1920x1200
Hello. I am a user of the three systems (Windows, OSX and Linux) and wanted to say a quick thing about something that involves the community.

Well, we're in the middle of 2016 and the Wayland continues walking the short steps, because of turf wars, involving the ideologies of fucking freetards. A few years ago there was a serious discussion involving the OSS and ALSA. After all the pulseaudio dominated a good portion of the distributions.

While the retards are fighting over ideology and licenses, other companies will and do. An example is the canonical, which is doing an excellent job on ubuntu with the Mir 8, integration between mobile and desktop devices.

Google, in turn, didn't want to be waiting on the flap of the retards finish and put his hand in the cookie jar and created his own graphics server for the Chrome OS. Meanwhile, the GNU/Linux and * BSD are still using the xorg, which let's face it is something "prehistoric".

We see a lot of users of GNU/Linux talk ill of the users Windows or OSX, but the same live inside their bubbles fighting over their ideologies of shit or their pathetic licenses, rather than make it happen.

You know what's wrong with GNU/Linux does not take off? Simple: the community itself. While no focus in bringing the system to ordinary users (as some here like to call "normies") GNU/Linux will remain irrelevant under the desktops and mobile devices. Will continue focusing only on servers.

Don't put the blame for MS, Google, Apple, in ordinary users or whoever, because the guilty is exactly the community itself.

PS: Sorry for my basic english.
>>
Fuck the normies, I don't want them fucking up my OS anyway
>>
>An example is the canonical, which is doing an excellent job on ubuntu with the Mir 8, integration between mobile and desktop devices.
Stopped reading there.
Fuck off Mark Shuttlecock.
>>
Kek I got the feels.
I'll never feel the same satisfaction when xfree86 was properly configured.

Good blog, open a tumblr or something, I don't care about you anon
>>
>>53222308
this desu senpai

linux has it bad enough with their own devs fucking it up without normies involved :^)
>>
No one cares, fuck off and die.
>>
>>53222282
>An example is the canonical, which is doing an excellent job on ubuntu with the Mir 8, integration between mobile and desktop devices.

not they don't. Absolutely not.
Are you aware they could just contribute, once in their life, to a free project ? Make every linux distributions use the same display server ?
Instead of that they just created mir. That was a stupid idea since mir & wayland were ready the same time.

Ideologies & licenses can be a good thing. Systemd is a good example.
>>
>>53222332

Nor I with you, anon.

>>53222329

If the community wants Linux to dominate or compete head to head with other operating systems on the desktop, should stop these fussy and arrogance as you own shows in your comment.

>>53222390

>/g/ never change
>>
>>53222410

Wow, you're so smart. What do you expect us to do? There's 1000 other people who also think they know 'what linux needs to get adopted.' Instead of shitposting on a Cambodian Manicure Business Management forum, go spam some mailing list or something.
>>
>>53222410
Go take an English course faggot
>>
I'm going to be completely honest and not absolutely retarded like half the responses are going to be.

This is the truth.
Albeit a slightly more consumer OS bias than a entirely neutral view.

Windows is in a good sweetspot where there is a lot of support and usability for those who need it with applications, as well as having some advanced things for more power-oriented users. This makes it mainstream and a lot of people will use it by default because it's not too complicated.
OSX is even less complicated but has somewhat less support and applications, but its not too far behind so it is also mainstream.
Linux is shit, to be quite honest in the view of a normal user or a gamer or w/e. Linux has limited support in terms of applications many people want to use and are already familiar with. Linux has shit tonnes of documentation but it's overly complicated for normal users, requiring constant use of the terminal to basically do anything or change anything. This isn't a problem for "power" users but the mass of the worlds population want a system that works without the need for an hour of terminal use just to set up a system. Some distros obviously try to remedy this but it's not sufficient enough because everyone is screaming to get the normies off their OS which is counterintuitive. If the worlds population of normal users began using a distro they like that doesn't require too much setup, that distro would obviously gain way more traction in terms of developing software that is more familiar to people. This allows for more devs to enter the industry developing things for Linux without taking a major risk whether or not their stuff will be used. The influx of devs will create better programs than what are currently being used such as xorg.

Although this won't happen because the majority of people on this board scream for normies to simply gtfo, putting them off of Linux and leads to slower development.
>>
>>53222329
mah nigga
>>
As a proud Arch user...

Linux is shit for as long as the fucklings cannot produce a replacement for Xorg.

Just.
Do.
It.
Already.

The saddest part is that the only modern looking DE besides Unity (with Mir), is KDE, and KDE still despite what they say is buggy as shit. It's not even KDE's fault, most of the issues stem from Xorg.

Just fucking fund it someone.
>>
>>53222282
The reason why Canonical, Google, and others have gone their own way is that they have not-invented-here syndrome, and especially because they want their own little fiefdom to control, instead of having to be compatible with what the rest of the world does like they should.
>>
>>53222606
>Although this won't happen because the majority of people on this board scream for normies to simply gtfo, putting them off of Linux and leads to slower development.
Yes, this board is exactly the sole reason why anything happens ever. It has a major impact on consumers and businesses all over the globe.

Now stop being a moron and install Mint. If you find it too difficult you probably shouldn't be using electronic devices. People who say it isn't 110% like Windows forget that Windows also has changed and people had to adapt or stop using it. Nobody cares about people who can only use Windows XP and nothing else. That version is not relevant in 2016.
>>
>>53224027
>Now stop being a moron and install Mint. If you find it too difficult you probably shouldn't be using electronic devices. People who say it isn't 110% like Windows forget that Windows also has changed and people had to adapt or stop using it.

Except the only real major user level difference between Windows versions is the start menu and that's easily fixed with things like ClassicShell.

Putting linux on my father's computer was the single worst thing I've done in my life. Literally weekly weekend tech support trips because printer can't print, x device won't connect, x update won't install and he can't get flash to work, his bank webpage doesn't render properly, etc.

Desktop linux is a meme. It's only real strength is the modularity aspect that lets you strip out the GUI and unnecessary shit altogether so you can have a simple server that's easy to troubleshoot. In user space it's a clusterfuck of 500 chef's cramped into one McDonald's arguing about how to cook a BigMac.
>>
>>53224162
I had exactly the opposite experience giving Linux to normies. Once I'd set it up, then the tech support calls ended. Key being in that setup - make sure everything the normie wants to do works (which generally isn't hard, a web browser and an internet connection and you're most of the way there) and you're done.
>>
>>53224162
I put Linux Mint on my mom's, dad's and grandmom's laptops. All are old people (over middle age) and none of them are trained IT professionals. I actively ask them if they have any problems with anything. They don't. If only you actually installed it instead of just assuming from memes you would know this.

>printer/scanner worked just by plugging it in and there was even a program for using it
>everything Just Werks™ and hasn't broken at any point
>it's faster than Windows ever was on the same hardware and doesn't even slow down over time
>gaming is not an issue since they only want Solitaire and Chess anyway and you don't do real gaming on laptops
>>
>>53222282
Very well said sir
>>
>>53222533
How about you go learn some languages you imperialistic son of a whore?

Soon your head will roll and your family will be raped by a thousand men.
>>
>>53223665
You can't prove that. Wayland is a clusterfuck of faggotry that will never see the light of day (a resource sink for any company looking to invest). It was just easier to make their own in a year than to wade through the tons of autistic nerdbeard feces that is the foss/linux community.
>>
>>53224273
>actively ask them if they have any problems

Your family is lying to you. They had your cousin or something install Windows secretly so that you would shut the fuck up already about muh freedums. It's sweet of them to indulge you, but how does it feel that your own family doesn't respect you? Have fun being a joke as long as you defend Linux as a desktop platform. Or, you know, grow up and join the rest of the adults. I'll give you a hint: using a computer as a grownup does not involve configuring it, but actually doing stuff with it that is not computer related.
>>
>>53225008
In order to use your Windows you had to configure more than I did when I installed Mint for my family. I know you have no idea what Mint is but it's ready out of the box, all the programs and drivers and libraries are already there for casual users. You also don't need terminal for anything if you don't want to use it.

Desktop Linux is ready whether you like it or not. It could even run Photoshop if needed, although people often don't actually need it. Gaming will come from/with Valve later but right now Linux is the best option for laptops, which shouldn't be used for gaming anyway.

That's what home users are about; gaming, surfing, listening to music, watching videos, maybe writing some documents for personal finances or something. MP3s work, Netflix works (in Chrome), Spotify works, Firefox and Chrome works, Skype works, Steam works, Telegram/Google Hangouts/Facebook chat works, e-mail works (browser or clients), calculator works, file browsers work and have clear "Pictures/Videos/Documents" etc. for smooth familiar organizing, Libreoffice works, viewing holiday pictures works, VLC works for holiday camera videos, updating works and it takes care of everything for you so you don't have old backdoors in your system because of one program that you rarely use but want to keep it.

Middle aged casual users don't even use all these features but they are all possible and cover most of the users. Not all of these are preinstalled though but most of them are.
>>
>>53222410
I fucking hate this rethoric. No one wants more people to use GNU/Linux. GNU/Linux is not a business venture, or at least not that kind of business venture. We don't need more people to use what we use.
Please fuck off and stop pushing your retarded vision, Mark. If people like your software, that's OK. They should use it, but they should not expect EVERYONE to adhere to their choice.
>>
>>53224973
This, i hate ubuntu because of unity but I fully understand them. Its 2016 and wayland will not be a thing for atleast another 5-10 years
>>
>>53227008
Meanwhile, X just works.
>>
>>53225294
Truth. Thank you anon
>>
>>53222390
Poetry.
>>
>>53224162
>idiot didn't turn on ssh and vnc
>>
>>53224197

this exactly.

>Set up Linux mint, checked for connecting phone, printer and internet (yt, banking).
>got on call to help for problem
>upgrade terminated prematurely due to shutdown by user
>
sudo dpkg --configure -a

>never heard of any problems again
>>
>>53222282
This. Feels good to be using the only good desktop GNU/Linux, from the only company that really cares about desktop GNU/Linux.
>>
>>53227156
Good bait is good.
>>
>>53227177
Whatever. Keep hating on the only distro that has prevented GNU/Linux from becoming totally irrelevant on the desktop and becoming just a server OS like the BSDs.
>>
>>53227205
>irrelevant on the desktop
It's not a fucking dick-waving contest.
Other distros do things (package management for one) better than Ubuntu, so people use them instead.
>>
>>53227205
LOL
I'm very much happy to continue hating on spyware.
>>
>>53222533
>ad hominem
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.