[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was this os really as bad as people say it is?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4
File: maxresdefault.jpg (45 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
45 KB, 1440x900
Was this os really as bad as people say it is?
>>
>>53221350
It was pretty bad, but after service packs etc it wasn't the worst.

It was mostly perpetuated by normies trying to sound like they know about computers.
>>
It was a radical change compared to XP so that helped with the hate.

But I think it actually had major problems.
>>
>>53221350
It was absolute shit at launch. With SP2 it's basically Windows 7 with a different UI in terms of usability, nuts and bolts aside.
>>
>>53221350
It was very buggy and unstable at first. After first service pack it became acceptable. On the end of it's lifespan vista was pretty solid but I don't remember much because I upgraded to 7 later on.
>>
>>53221544
>>53221412
>>53221402
This and the fact that the low end machines weren't powerful enough to run it smoothly.
>>
File: 1e8.jpg (4 KB, 165x115) Image search: [Google]
1e8.jpg
4 KB, 165x115
>>53221350
Every OS after Vista is a Vista reskin with minor optimizations that could have been added to Vista if Microsoft were not porkies.
>>
>>53221350
it is literally windows 7 with better icons and opaque title bar, but without directx11 and longer boot time.

it feels really horribly bad because most people AND primarily tech reviewer journos tryin to install it on a 512mb - 1gb ram machine, which was the mainstream size that time
>>
I don't know why vista got put onto the level of ME.

I ran it on a single core AMD 3200+ with 1 gig of ram and I was able to run adobe CS3, play games, and never once had a blue screen or issue.

But I was using a 36 gig raptor so that helped the speed, but the major problem with that version of windows was the terribly slow file transfers. I dont fucking know why that was such an issue, but damn it was annoying
>>
>>53221350
the problem was everyone has shit tier computers when this arrived.

they made it lighter in 7. but everyone updated their computers at that point.

so everyone rioted about 7 beign a way better os beign the almost the same shit.
>>
Psh, I'm still using Vista. It has its quirks, but I like it.
>>
>>53222598
Well that and a load of driver and software compatibility issues that went on for way too long after launch making it seem more like a beta release, which is pretty much what it turned out to be.
>>
No SSD support and bigger install size. Performance was shit until a service pack update. Nothing else was really wrong with it just there was never a reason to run it over Win 7
>>
Nobody had problems with Vista spinning the hard drive constantly? Even on fresh installs that had SP2 included and with 4GB of RAM?
>>
File: synx-enlargement-pills2.jpg (54 KB, 267x400) Image search: [Google]
synx-enlargement-pills2.jpg
54 KB, 267x400
>>53221350
Vista was actually not bad since SP1 if you weren't running toaster grade compaq or emachine shit.

Also, seriously not trolling, but W7 is Vista SP3. If you load CMD on each and type in "ver" to get the version of the OS it'll give you 6.0.6*** for Vista and 6.1.7600 for Win7. KEK.
>>
>>53221350
Nothing changed since Vista. Literally nothing.
>>
Windows Vista is actually pretty cool now because it's not getting the botnet updates unlike 7 and 8.
>>
>>53222363
Can you really be this retarded?
>>
>>53225998
win+r, type cmd.exe, type ver
post results
>>
>>53221350
Its pretty OK.
Not much difference between 7 and Vista.
The only thing people forgot is the hardware improvements between the two OS.

Like when Vista came out, lot of people had 1gb ram, had swapping issues. Once 7 came around, they had 2-4gb of memory.

CPU speed also got better.
I installed a Vista recently on my T500, and honestly there is zero speed difference between 7, 8, 10 or Vista. 8 and 10 boots a bit faster with an SSD but it's nothing groundbreaking.
>>
File: Komaki Tiger Drop.jpg (175 KB, 2048x1273) Image search: [Google]
Komaki Tiger Drop.jpg
175 KB, 2048x1273
So Windows 7 and 8 seemed like vista but with optimizations. Is this true for windows 10? is it just a mod of vista as well?
>>
>>53226185
Yes.
The real improvement Win10 has isn't the GUI, but WDDM2.0
>>
>>53226216
Thought so, they all feel similar, especially windows vista to 7 and 8 to 7.
>>
Driver support from hardware vendors upon release made for lots of instability, a massive upheaval in its UI was daunting for people, the requirements at the time were significantly higher than XP and programs hitherto being written too often to run as admin led to UAC being a nightmare in terms of UX.

All that bullshit laid the groundwork for many aspects of Windows that we take for granted today, though, and after a few service packs came out and the hardware caught up it matured into a fine OS.

Windows 7 is so often regarded as being the greatest Windows ever but it really was just a minor refinement over the big changes that Vista had already brought on.
>>
It came at a time when computers were to weak for it, leading to a bad experience for many users.
>>
I actually installed it recently for my little sister's laptop (they were only Vista 32 drivers for it) and I was suprised because I remembered it working way worse. With the service packs its pretty good, and it has desktop gadgets which i actually miss from vista and early 7.
>>
>>53226232
>driver support from hardware vendors upon release made for lots of instability, a massive upheaval in its UI was daunting for people

These two statements are also on point during the release of win10.
Nothing has changed much at all.
>>
>>53221350
It was so bad, when I tried to install it on a VM a few months ago, it actually BSOD'd the host computer. Vista, not even once. (This might be VMWare's fault though.)
>>
>>53226245
they are more true for 8 that 10 i think, basic elements of the old interface are still on their place in 10 while 8 just fucked everything up
>>
>>53226185
Windows 10=Windows 8

Their filesystem is slightly improved over 7 and Vista. Not much else.
>>
>>53221350
Absolutely not. Windows Vista introduced a ton of features that we take for granted these days including security features and programming interfaces that are considered essential now. Vista gave us:
- A compositing window manager
- Start menu search
- Built-in anti-malware
- GPU multitasking
- UAC (the end of the world-writable Program Files and Windows directories)
- A professional-quality low-latency audio stack (finally replacing the third-party ASIO and providing something competitive with Apple's Core Audio)
- Proper infrastructure for security-critical programs that use privilege separation
- Per-app volume control
- ASLR
- Symlinks
- DPI scaling
- Proper 64-bit support
- TLS support in the loader that doesn't suffer from memory corruption when used in dynamically loaded DLLs
- Basic synchronization primitives like condition variables in the public API
- Thread-safe handle inheritance in multithreaded programs
- Sane I/O cancellation
- A modern crypto API and native support for crypto primitives that are still usable today

>>53226185
Pretty much every modern Windows version can be considered a "mod" of Vista. I don't think any of the more recent updates have been as significant as the update from XP to Vista due to the above reasons.

>>53226260
>This might be VMWare's fault though.
Bingo. If the host crashes for any reason, it's the VM's fault. It's layering, man. You should be able to run literal malware in a VM and not have the host machine affected. If that's not the case, it's the VM's fault by definition.
>>
>>53221350
Better than loonix desu
>>
>>53221350
No, the devices it ran on could not effectively handle it, thus people assumed it was bad. On a system with the proper specs for it, there are no issues with it
>>
I wonder if Microsoft will expand the upgrade to cover Vista once they notice adoption of 10 has peaked and they start collecting less telemetry data and ad revenue.
>>
>>53221350
windows ....
>nuff said.
>>
>>53222201
Don't confuse low end with the majority. When vista launched a mere 1 gig of ram was the recommended mark
>>
>>53221350
No. Just a lot of people tried to run it on their 2003 model XP E-Machine with 512MB RAM and then wondered why it shat itself all the time.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.