[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
In praise of plain HTML
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3
Anybody else think we should ditch CSS and JS?

Websites these days are unbelievably slow and ugly.
>>
Not ditch, but teach people how to not use it retardedly
>>
Shut up faggot CSS is awsome
>>
> implying human communication is possible
> implying words have meaning
> implying the social construct of the self has any intrinsic value
> implying speeding up your time delay had any relevance in this 0-sum game called life

good one, OP. I had a chuckle.
>>
Agreed. Enbedding other bullshit pseudo languages into html is... bad html. Take back the web!
>>
Hey, if people have state-of-the-art CPUs and one gazillion gigabytes of RAM, then let's bloat the shit out of websites, who cares.
>>
CSS doesnt make shit slow, dumb negroide.
>>
File: ayy.jpg (20 KB, 615x410) Image search: [Google]
ayy.jpg
20 KB, 615x410
>>53210021

>websites without css and js
>>
are we back in 1992?
>>
The issue is particular uses of it. Shadows and animations are big hogs, simply loading too much or not using parallel calls is another.
>>
>>53210268

Sadly, no
>>
>>53210186
Layout engines do use a lot of CPU, even compared to HTML+basic JS, who are you kidding?
>>
>>53210281
Especially animations on big web pages with lots of elements and lots of styles that have to be recalculated makes any modern site slow to load.
>>
>>53210021

Fuck HTTP, just use Gopher.
>>
There is literally nothing wrong with CSS.
JavaScript is the real site killer.
>>
>>53210021
>Anybody else think we should ditch CSS
No.
>and JS?
Maybe.
>>
HTML is shit to begin with. Websites should send pure data, with display left to the client.
>>
We need a new browser side scripting language
>>
http://motherfuckingwebsite.com/
honestly, i detest this "future", where eg. imgur, the "simple" image sharer is fast as a flea swimming in tar, and uses FLASH of all things
>>
>>53210021
HEY YOU FUCKING NIGGER
LET ME SLOW YOUR COMPUTER TO A CRAWL WITH MY 25MB SMOOTH SCROLLING JS AND STATE OF THE ART IFRAMED FLASH ANIMATIONS, REMEMBER TO USE INTERNET EXPLORER TO MAKE IT WORK :^)
>>
>>53211199
This
>>
>>53210021
agree on js
css is pretty nice?
i mean the box model is not too nice but the rest is pretty fancy...
>>
>>53211392

http://bettermotherfuckingwebsite.com/
>>
>>53212183
I'll choose the text width by changing the size of the browser window and/or its default margins, thanks. Same for color and background.
>>
>>53211199
this no desu senpai senpai
>>
make internet great again
http://motherfuckingwebsite.com/
>>
>>53212183
>better
it looks like shit and there's a lot of wasted space and he's missing a hero image like all the trendy sites like medium use

design trash tbqhwyf
>>
Well I haven't done any web stuff in a while, but next time I'll just use HTML 3.0 and that's it. I mean, just for my personal stuff.
Anyway I had to use recent HTML +CSS for some contract and it sucked ass. I don't normally deal with that stuff (programmer, not designer) but I'm not a fan of how complicated it got.
Also, gopher man. I still love it for when full HTML isn't needed.
>>
>>53210021
>Anybody else think we should ditch CSS
HELL NO
>and JS?
...maybe, if we can find a suitable replacement
>>
>>53210249
Unicode "emojis" were a mistake.
Should've stayed as a japanese SMS gimmick. Unicode should never have standardized them.

>>53210021
CSS can stay - it isn't that bad.
JS is good in very, very small amounts. Make it something that enhances the content (text) of the site.

This is an example of how to fail very, very hard at making a site in JS.
http://prajwaldesai.com/home/
Yes, it's a blog made by an indian. Yes, all of the stereotypes apply to him.
The page doesn't even load if you enable uBlock, even though there are no ads. Smooth-scrolling implemented in JS, even though I don't want smooth scroll.

>>53210160
Not being minimal and puritanical just because you have an abundance of resources should be a sin.
It's everything wrong with the software industry.
>>
>>53212575
>Not being minimal and puritanical just because you have an abundance of resources should be a sin.
I like this view.

Faster computers should lead to improved performance. The only exception, I would say, is writing code that is more correct.
>>
>>53210021
all websites should be made in flash, steve jobs ruined internet
>>
So how do we make interactive web pages?
>>
>>53210021
Good luck making your site look remotely pretty, easily.
>>
Html is shit when it comes to typographics. Good fonts, letter spacing, leading, all sorts of paddings and margins between blocks of text and headers, hyphenation, ligatures – all of the stuff that constitutes a difference between a well printed book and your mom's printer hardcopies – are impossible to achieve with html alone (to be fair, some are impossible with modern css too). That's more or less the very task html was created for, and yet html fails at it miserably.
>>
>>53214504
The mistake is trying to make web pages look exactly like some book or magazine. It's just formatted content. You can set your web browser to display in whatever font you like, with whatever colors you prefer. Apart from guidelines like bold/underline/italic and "increment/decrement font size here", all that stuff doesn't belong in HTML.
>>
>>53210021
CSS is nice, and javascript can be useful. I think we just need to encourage web developers to write less clientside javascript. For example, websites with 6 million jquery animations need to stop, but 4chan uses it to refresh a thread without having to refresh the entire page, which is acceptable.
>>
File: 1447895082282.jpg (27 KB, 460x503) Image search: [Google]
1447895082282.jpg
27 KB, 460x503
>>53214993
HEAR HEAR! I AGREE!!
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.