[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So Apple will take the backdoor case straight to the Supreme
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 6
File: apple-build-iphone-backdoor.jpg (24 KB, 620x407) Image search: [Google]
apple-build-iphone-backdoor.jpg
24 KB, 620x407
So Apple will take the backdoor case straight to the Supreme Courts. Google, Microsoft, even the nigger facebook and twitter are supporting Apple's fight against the backdoors.

This will be the defining case of the 21st century, /g/ and it involves the rights to privacy and freedom.

Would Stallman support Apple's fight in a small degree? I would think so. We don't like any of the above companies but they are able to fight against the breach of privacy and for the freedom of the people to a degree.

Does /g/'s support of privacy/freedom outweight our hate for apple/microsoft/facebook/twitter?
>>
>google
>microsoft
>facebook
>fighting for freedom

Bandwagon
>>
>>53191851
Regardless of the intent the outcome they're pushing for is a good thing.
>>
File: 1456358567846.png (487 KB, 764x779) Image search: [Google]
1456358567846.png
487 KB, 764x779
It's a PR stunt
>>
>>53192435

That again?
You shouldn't get your information from right wing nutcase blogs, bro.
>>
>>53192435
this
>>
It's a PR stunt but it can still have a positive outcome.
>>
>>53191731
>M$ builds OS that calls home to NSA servers even if you tell it not to
>is joining protest against backdoors
>>
>>53191731
Why doesn't the FBI just copy the data up to the internet and let all the crackers out there do it. Since they can't seem to do it. Offer a $1000 reward for first to recover the data and they likely get it emailed to them within the hour. As I am sure some black hat has already broken the system.
>>
>>53192435

That headline is misleading.
>>
Protecting America from terrorists is more important than protecting some filthy muslim's data.
>>
>>53191731
>This will be the defining case of the 21st century
kek

Pull your head out of your ass, anon. No one outside of /g/ cares if the mainstream media stops covering this, which I'm sure they will sooner than later.

>>53193010
>Protecting America from terrorists is more important than protecting some filthy muslim's data.

this desu
>>
>>53192938
Sounds like the media would have a field day
>FBI's incompetence has led them to bribing black-hat hackers to crack Apple's encryption
>>
>>53191731
>We don't like any of the above companies but they are able to fight against the breach of privacy and for the freedom of the people to a degree.
This.

Even FDR, Churchill and fucking Stalin were all able to get along well enough to bear the fucking Nazis. If protecting privacy means I have to take sides with the data-miners and shills of Microsoft, Facebook, Google, and Apple, then it looks like I will.
>>
>>53193010
If you truly want to protect America from terrorism you'd be on Apple's side, or have you still not seen that our government are the terrorists?
>>
>>53192938
Because that would violate the rights of the owner of that iphone. The owner might be a criminal, but he still has rights.
>>
>We

Speak for yourself. Not everyone on /g/ is some sheltered shut-in scared to venture away from /g/'s opinion.
>>
Read about this shit before just making blind statements you idiots. They have several in depth documents on ios security and how they respond to warrants and subpoenas. You guys sound like fox news reporters right now
>>
>>53192597
>implying it's a backdoor if it's a central feature of the software that you're clearly and precisely informed about in the license agreement
Are you sure you know what the word 'backdoor' refers to in this context?
>>
>>53191731
Come on senpai
>Like it wasn't all about the money
It takes a few devs to crack the phone and they have to be paid. If apple keeps on burning money for the feds, they would get used to it apple would end up cracking 100s of phones daily.
>>
>>53192938
If the encryption on the phone is so strong that they can't crack it, then it's unlikely any other hacker will be able to, hence why they want the backdoor
>>
If the phone didn't belong to a US-citizen, we wouldn't have this discussion at all.

"Yo, Apple, unlock this phone from a German." - "K, lol."
>>
>>53192938
Because they don't just want the data from this phone.

They want to set precedent with this case so they can just use back doors in the future.

Have you even been paying attention?
>>
>>53193106
Terrorists have no rights.
Dead terrorists even less, a lab mouse has more rights.
>>
>>53192435
Having to tear down and unlock a phone individually vs installing a backdoor in an OS everyone uses to access whenever they want= the same thing.
>stay retarded
>>
>>53193106
isn't it a government-issued phone?
>>
>>53193010
No, it's not, because this will set a precedent for the authorities to demand info and firmware changes whenever they please. This case doesn't exist in a void.
>>
>>53193256
And from/used by a dead terrorist
>>
>>53193045
Just because it doesn't make news, doesn't mean it isn't significant. Just because you don't know/care about it, doesn't mean that it doesn't affect you
>>
>>53193010
tfw your taxpayers money went into funding early Al-Qaeda, is currently arming rebels in Syria.

Something tells me that this cycle will repeat.
>>
Non burger citizen here.

Why isn't the US gov using the grounds of FCC rules to interfere with that device and suing Apple for blocking and interrupting a criminal investigation? Is Saudis involved with Apple financially? It seems to be the greatest motive here.
>>
>>53191731
>Apple's fight

you realize that it's just shilling and they give them user's data right now? 'Buy this totally-spy-free smartphone,certified by American Supreme Court !' so they can just mine your even more, it's desperate move to get people onto iOS instead of Android.
>>
>>53193105
yeah better go buy some super male vitality and alexapure water filter from the infowarslife store!!!!
>>
>>53193437
> it's desperate move to get people onto iOS instead of Android.
Good point anon.
t. iOS user
>>
>>53193442
The fuck are you on about?
>>
>>53193292
> oh no, my phone is compromised
> in2trash.bin

Big fucking deal if Apple can't sell their wares as "secure" anymore. It doesn't matter.
>>
>>53193437
>you realize that it's just shilling and they give them user's data right now?
Are you retarded? If Apple loses this case it will set a precedent and EVERY company will be legally required to provide the government tools to get around any security measures that their products have. Stop blindly hating Applel and think for two seconds.
>>
>tfw the world is becoming a scary dystopia where governments can access your data without your knowledge, not just your data but everything about you.
>>
>>53193362
>Is Saudis involved with Apple financially? It seems to be the greatest motive here.
No, it has nothing to do with that sort of shit.

I know it's hard to understand, but Apple has reasons for saying no that have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with them being a bunch of terrorist-loving libruls, or being even vaguely connected to terrorism on a monetary level.
>>
>>53193010

This.

Not sure why THIS is the hill so many faggots are dying on.
>>
>>53193362
>(2)this device must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation

Like Feds send an "interference" signal to send info back.

So the device must accept it and it will cause undesired results of Feds getting the users info.

Seems legit
>>
>>53194260
Because legal precedent is a thing. If Apple is forced to provide hacking tools for their software in this case, then the government will be able to require any software company to provide hacking tools for their product in any case. Sure this case may involve terrorism, but if the precedent is set you'll see this being applied to any device that any police department gets a hold of no matter the case.
>>
>>53191731
What if it's all a false flag for Bernie to win the elections?
>>
Even if a precedent is set, and the government would be able to demand and be able to brute force any device at whim, the same common sense in encryption would still apply - use a strong password. The killer's phone in this case only has a PIN and could be unlocked instantly with a brute force attack. The only stopgap is the 10-try failsafe.

Apple, just let them unlock the fucking killer's phone and drop the PR act and bandwagon.
>>
So you can either have a company mis-use abuse and sell your information through some obfuscated legal means or the country do so in the name of freedom. So what is this going to become some sort of tech "privacy" union?
>>
File: YES, sadly yes.jpg (294 KB, 1600x1196) Image search: [Google]
YES, sadly yes.jpg
294 KB, 1600x1196
>>53194828
>>
>>53194066
I watched some documentary on Eastern Germany under Soviet occupation. The government had huge files on all the German citizens, especially one's that weren't pro-state enough. They released all of the files after the Berlin Wall fell and all the citizens could read their own files, some were surprised how much the commies knew about their lives. I kept thinking that's not too far off for America.
>>
>>53194260
Legal precedent you faggot. If you can't defend the worst than you can't defend anyone.
>>
>>53192972
No it isn't
>>
>>53195334
Yes it is, because the previous cases didn't involve the FBI demanding that Applel make hacking tools to circumvent the protections on their devices.
>>
>>53193106
The owners of the iphone are the county department Farook worked for. They actually authorized the FBI to access the protected data. Only Apple is holding out.
>>
>>53192972
How is it misleading?
>>
>>53193010
(you)
>>
>>53191731
>straight to the Supreme Court
no case goes straight to the Supremes
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (21 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
21 KB, 480x360
>>53193110
WE
>>
>>53193124
He doesn't even know what a backdoor is. A backdoor isn't an active connection to a remote server that gives updates on your usage. So don't worry, he's an idiot.

MS has had Windows backdoored since the 90s. No, it doesn't contact the NSA. The NSA has to request access to it.
>>
>>53192538
This. Just like the Edward Snowden thing...

Maybe he was doing it for fame and abandon from his own misdeeds, but the outcome far outweighed his own egoic bullshit.
>>
>>53195534
>tfw I installed a beta of Windows Whistler (pre-XP,) back in the late 90's and it fucking phoned home, and my parents house got a call just an hour later, from Microsoft, and I had to explain to my parents what I did...
>>
>>53195366
and the FBI attempted to access the phone which caused it to lock up. this is the FBI's screwup and now, solely to cover their asses, they expect Apple to create a program that will endanger every iPhone user's information all to extract from a single phone data that may or may not exist and that may or may not expose other terrorists.
can you say "weapons of mass destruction" boys and girls?
>>
>trusting the FBI

Just to remind you, this happened less than 48 hours after the events of the shooting...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1qYF-iSe4g
>>
File: 4L_26r0gkkr.jpg (12 KB, 458x293) Image search: [Google]
4L_26r0gkkr.jpg
12 KB, 458x293
>>53191731
One good thing if apple has to crack their shit is that cheap stolen unlocked iphones will be plentiful on the black market aka craigslist and ebay.

>mfw buying iphone from jamal for $50 off craigslist
>>
>>53195834
Give it back, Adam
>>
>>53195606
They called you? Why?
>>
>>53195887
Fuck if I know, my mom just said that they were calling to ask how I got a copy of the OS. A little frightened, I just fervently denied that I even had it, when she confronted me, while she was on the phone.
>>
>>53194978
Fuck.
I also hear about the documents the secret police over there shredded. They've employed loads to try and piece it all together.
>>
>>53195974
How DID you get a copy of it?
>>
>>53196230
come on, it's not like it was tough to find the scuzzy parts of the web then
>>
>>53196409
Thought you might have either stolen it physically or perhaps done some dodgy deal with a pal in the loop.
Y'know, cool story shit.
>>
>>53196525
Pfft, I wish it was like that, but nope—my fairly vanilla case just goes to show you how ubiquitous Microsofts data aggregation/phoning home/backdoor techniques have been since way back when.
>>
>>53191731
Marketing senpai
>>
>>53196584
Quite so, quite so.
Everything feels like a catch 22 tbqh
>>
>>53192972
this is why
>>53195334
>>53195454
>>53192435
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2016/02/technical-perspective-apple-iphone-case
>>
>>53192435
>reading stormblr
>any year
Are you trying to convince people to support apple with this?
>>
>>53192972
Since he's deceased, he has no legal rights whatsoever.
>>
>>53193124
>a neat and handy buzz word
> certain to make us all think he's smart.

Of course he doesn't know. I mean how much could he possibly know? He certainly doesn't know That in order for every Windows machine to routinely, and often communicate with super secret NSA servers, that that would mean that there was a permanent connection between those machines and the servers. Why would anyone think that the NSA would be reckless enough to allow that? Microsoft's reputation for abysmal security alone would make that completely retarded to even consider. I realize that the government is supposed to be retarded, but I'm pretty sure that this level of retardation would be grounds for immediate dismissal.
>>
>>53191731
>Does /g/'s support of privacy/freedom outweight our hate for apple

No, they are still a shit company that makes shit products for shit people
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.