[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 10
What went wrong?
>>
>>53155905
They took design lessons from the janitor.
>>
nothing
>>
>>53155905
OSX is awesome on laptops, but I can't see why anyone would use it on a desktop PC.
>>
Apparently, it's a good computer if you like macs, so nothing
>>
>>53155905
Old hardware
26xx series Xeons in a system that can support only one CPU
Limited RAM capacity
No internal storage besides single M.2 boot drive
Severe TDP and thermal limits prevents hardware from stretching its legs.
Should I go on?
>>
using a single heatsink to cool multiple process units is one of the worst ideas anyone has ever come up with
it doesn't work in laptops
why would it work with a desktop?
it's a stupid design and apple knows it

apple isn't about success, nor function. they're about image. pure and simple

people buy their crap because marketing is more effective than benchmarks at baiting wallets

all of that said, i would be genuinely interested in seeing if they could build a water cooling loop inside the trash can. 3 blocks, a pump, radiator at the top?

people might actually buy this product if it could perform reasonably without overheating
>>
>>53155905
The OS and company who released it.
If it was done by HP and or dell as buissness/decor computer it'd be accepted as a good computer
>>
You can have your very own pc trashcan now

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dunecase/dune-case
>>
>>53156003
Yeah it being water cooled could work pretty well.
>>
>>53155905
The size and form factor, their old cases looked great and didnt have half of the problems
>>
>dual GPU workstation
>literally the size of a shoe
>/g/ thinks this is bad engineering
>>
>>53156434
>multiple heat sources
>no cooling
>good engineering
>shoes literally have better cooling
>>
>>53155905
Lack of small enough powerful consumer components prevented the DIY trashcan computing meme from kicking off, thus dooming the form factor to being just an apple meme.
>>
File: mac-pro-2013-vs-mac-pro-2012.jpg (46 KB, 640x375) Image search: [Google]
mac-pro-2013-vs-mac-pro-2012.jpg
46 KB, 640x375
>>53155905
>>
>>53156434
That's pretty neat . Anyone tried this thing, is the cooling actually a problem in practice?
>>
>>53156743
yes, the cooling is atrocious
while idling, the components are typically in the 50c range, despite everything being undervolted and underclocked.

it's because the heatsink is shared, all the heat is shared too.

under load, you could expect to see fatal 80c+ temperatures, meanwhile your productivity is effectively null and void

apple even went so far as to put a rpm/voltage limited on the SINGLE FAN cooling the entire device

list of terrible decisions include ....
>>
haha guys :) look at my new apple iCylinder its so trendy and hip! It doesnt look like a traditional computer wow I'm creative and unique and please notice me! w-w-wait wheres the apple logo?!?!? how are people supposed to know I'm different!!?
>>
>>53157028
before people start spewing nonsense

>no overheating on my device! i suck cock!

it THROTTLES long before it will ever overheat and that is the problem. IT THROTTLES. the cooling system doesn't allow for it to run at its max speed 24/7 unless you live in canada with an ambient temperature below 68 degrees year round.

using the machine as it was designed for? hardcore rendering? both gpus and cpu maxed out? enjoy your throttling.

let alone all the "pro" of the pro mac was taken away.
see >>53156635

want to add a hard drive? its gotta be external. wanna upgrade the video card? lol

>BUT CRAPPLE WAS NEVER GOOD AT THIS
believe it or not apple use to always offer upgradable video cards on its store. limited amount, but you could actually buy, directly from apple, video cards over time to upgrade in your mac. and when apple went x86, you could toss in any generic video card. nvidia even releases its own drivers for mac. let alone other stuff like raid cards and even fibre cards where available.
>>
>>53155987
thermal limits? weren't the unique and efficient temperature management a huge selling point
>>
File: 1381353815075.png (216 KB, 393x391) Image search: [Google]
1381353815075.png
216 KB, 393x391
>>53156473
>>
>>53157218
It doesn't actually throttle in real world applications. It only throttles if you run prime95 and furmark, which are not realistic workloads.
>>
>>53155975
For work. I just tried using Premiere on Windows recently and it crashed multiple times on me. OS X just provides a more stable and clean working environment. I use Windows for personal use.
>>
>>53157218
>let alone all the "pro" of the pro mac was taken away.
basically why it's shit, and i'm generally more supportive of Apple than most folks around here. 'Pro' = unlimited expansion and versatility, Apple's highest end computer offering, basically the 'best' experience you can have running OS X. This was not the product line for Ive to run a nifty little experiment to fit a couple laptop computers into a water pitcher, you fuckin piece of poo.
>>
>>53156003
Last time they gave water cooling a try we had leaking pumps fucking up expensive shit (mac pro).
Apple should just keep doing what they do well: trick niggers and faggots into buying overpriced shit they don't need.
>>
>>53156743
Only time I have seen proof of throttling it was under furmark and prime95.

If you life with 40C ambient maybe it is a problem.
>>
File: okey.jpg (116 KB, 698x675) Image search: [Google]
okey.jpg
116 KB, 698x675
>>53155905

it had a tendency to overheat
and apple tried to restrict modification by the case design

so dumb
good thing they made up for it with the mouse-pen charger
>>
>>53155905

No apps
>>
>>53155905
it is a fucking onahole
>>
>>53155905
computers belong in the trash
>>
>>53155905
the basic concept and the entire implementation
>>
It throttles
No nVidia option
No way to upgrade the GPUs unless there's a specifically made GPU with those proprietary connectors
Very limiting I/O options
Ugliest product Apple made so far, basically ridiculed by everyone for looking like a trashcan
>>
>>53157247
It's unique in that it can handle multiple heat sources simultaneously, but those sources need to produce wattage within a specific range for it to be effective. All of the components in the Mac Pro are clocked very conservatively.

Imagine buying something like a 5960X and then being able to only run it at stock speeds because the installed cooler is shit, even though the chip itself can handle more very easily.
>>
>>53157247
>90+ degrees celcius during stress tests
Housefire

>>53157402
>expensive as fuck abomination of a workstation running at 90ish C is fine
>>
>>53155905
WHAT ARE THOSE
>>
>>53157659
This is bullshit, senpai. AE on OS X was highly unstable too, dev team admitted it. Adobe sucks.
>>
>>53155987
The only thing I truly don't get is the decision for using Xeons in this case. I'd get it if they supported using two, but wouldn't it have been better to just use an i7 3970 or something if they're looking for a 6core processor?

The only reason I could see it being done is to prevent overclocking since heat management seems like it's shit in this tiny little tube.
>>
>>53155905
Way too goddamn expensive.

No possiblity of third-party parts.
>>
>>53159654
Oh it still crashes on OS X, it's just far less.
>>
File: macpro.jpg (80 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
macpro.jpg
80 KB, 1280x720
David Di Franco Loves his Mac pro
>>
>>53156743

We have a video editor at work and she claims her macbook pro is faster at rendering than the tincan. It's really quiet though but just putting my hand above it I can feel everything roasting inside of it.
>>
>>53159818
Oh god, don't get me started on this e-begging faggot.

Fucker begged his way to a mac pro.
>>
File: Ayeeeeeeeeeee.jpg (9 KB, 148x61) Image search: [Google]
Ayeeeeeeeeeee.jpg
9 KB, 148x61
>>53155905
INTO
THE
TRASH
IT
WENT
>literally
>>
>>53157247
Yes, that was a selling point. But it's bullshit. It is remarkably wimpy for a workstation and it still throttles under load.
>>
>>53159945
Show me where it throttles in any real world condition
>>
>>53159818
Was this the guy who was crying for one and people sent him money to buy it and review?
>>
>>53160116
video rendering
you imbecile

don't tell me you use it for facebook
>>
>>53160245
Is this all you have? I want evidence. There's no wide reports of it throttling with normal usage and editing video is one of the widest uses for these things. I guess it's just /g/ spouting bullshit as usual with nothing to back it up. I mean there's things to complain about with the new Mac Pro but this isn't one of them.
>>
>>53159758
Xeons allow for ECC RAM and hardware virtualization, and the chips also receive better binning, but that's also a bit beside the point.

1600 Xeons are basically copies of the consumer extreme lineup with extra features, and cost about the same, while the 2600 Xeons are voltage and multiplier locked, but can be used in pairs and tend to have much higher core counts. So why is it that the MP used a 1600 series processor only for the lowest-end SKU? I'm guessing it's because they wanted 8-core and 12-core models, but Ivy-Bridge didn't have more than 6 cores on all but the 2600 series.
The sad part is that there almost aren't any programs that actually benefited from the 12-core model, which ran at extremely low clock rates, and even the 8-core isn't that well balanced.

Apple jumped the gun with the new MP, if they had waited until Haswell, they could have had access to relatively affordable and much higher-clocking 6 & 8-core parts, as well as higher-clocked 2600 chips if they still wanted to go that route. They also botched things up by using AMD FirePro chips, because in 2013 none of the high-end video editing suites except for Apple's own FCPX had OpenCL support, and a lot of video editors found themselves without hardware acceleration in Adobe Premiere and DaVinci Resolve. The only reason any of these programs have OpenCL support today is because of Apple's insistence on putting AMD into their computers.
>>
>>53157659

you have hardware issues then. either that or your OS install is a clusterfuck
>>
>>53160364
I have two systems both dual booting with a Hackintosh Clover OS X install. In both cases OS X is more stable even without Apple hardware. Windows is stable except for running Adobe software for me.
>>
>>53159917
Are you mad that he succeeded or that you didn't think of it?
He didn't lie about why he wanted the money. He wanted to do a crowdfunded video of him unboxing the thing and he did.
He didn't promise that his video would be good or that videos like this would change the world in any way.
It is worse when people say they want to fund their company in making a product that is so stupid it actually makes people dumber.
Remember solar freaking roadways?
That shit got so much hype that some politicians even fell for it.
The dutch government spent $3.7M on a 70 meter stretch of bike path.
They even glorified it as a success because it almost generated enough power to power a single house.
I don't mind people sharing memes, but why the fuck would they do this?
>>
>>53159818
You can tell by looking at him that his partner, if he has one, is unfaithful.
>>
File: ator.jpg (71 KB, 559x598) Image search: [Google]
ator.jpg
71 KB, 559x598
>>53160465

He looks like he'd turn into Norman Bates. I'll bet he keeps his mother in the bedroom.
>>
>>53160431
I'm just pretty upset that someone would be shameless enough to ask his YouTube subscribers for a Mac Pro.
>>
>>53160596
Whatever. A lot of people would rather beg for money than getting a job.
There is people who makes a commit / month on github fixing spelling errors in documentation and thinks this warrents getting money from strangers because they are struggling as a female developer.
That worries me more than some youtuber begging money.
All "youtubers" do that.
Some limit themselves to say "please like and subscribe" while others talk about their patreon or kickstarter.
I don't care about them. All they provide is a distraction anyway.
They are not taking government funds or stopping people from contributing to society.
If you ignore them, they will go away.

It is a bit more dangerous when it comes to the "developers". Best case, they are funded by their friends, but worst case, they steal money from free software projects.
>>
>>53156003
>apple isn't about success, nor function. they're about image. pure and simple

Their MacBooks are the best notebooks out there. Period.

Their iMacs are pretty good as desktops.

Their #1 problem is that they're starting to build shit like an iPad. Difficult to get into, soldered components that should be upgradable.

Their #2 problem is that they no longer have a simple tower where you can get to and upgrade everything.
>>
File: download.jpg (7 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
7 KB, 275x183
>>53160954
>wah, "content" makers are asking for money on YouTube/Twitch/etc.
Yet the money goes to them and usually helps them keep making content or let's them buy something they want thanks to their fans.

>http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/19/us/scam-charity-investigation/index.html
While shit like fake cancer charities, corrupt governments and scammers steal hundreds of millions under false pretenses.

Guess which one is complained about more on the internet?
>>
>>53157659
Sounds like a personal problem
>>
File: image.jpg (14 KB, 107x125) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
14 KB, 107x125
So what's the alternative for professional video post production? Are you seriously suggesting a windows based system? Linux? Try bringing free software up in your next client meeting, tell me how that goes.

Mac Pro + premiere is the new gold standard. Maybe Avid if you're over the age of about 35 and/or have a passing interest in self harm for sexual pleasure.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.