[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should I learn C, C++ or python as my first programming language?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6
File: säng.png (5 KB, 497x314) Image search: [Google]
säng.png
5 KB, 497x314
Should I learn C, C++ or python as my first programming language?
>>
In my opinion, python is an easier c++
>>
C. Knowing what stupid mistakes modern languages avoid for you is important. Get your hands dirty early
>>
they're all good choices and it doesn't really matter. just start learning something instead of wasting time worrying about what's most optimal.
>>
>>53106058
Python.

But does it really matter? You're gonna give up after a couple days.
>>
Scratch :^)
>>
>>53106087
>>53106113
>>53106115
Would it be good idea to learn basics of C and then learn python?
>>
In my opinion C, then C++, and then something high level like Python or C#.
>>
Learn B, since you cant decide on your own.
>>
>>53106150
Learn C first, whatever you want next is your own decision
>>
>>53106123
>But does it really matter? You're gonna give up after a couple days.
this man is correct.
>>
>>53106058
I used to really read into languages to find the very best there is so I dont waste time learning a useless one. After a long time of reading articles, opinions and those that disagree with them, especially the opinions that I sided with I would be extra skecptical and read anyone who disagreed with it, I settled on Lisp. Then after some more reading, Common Lisp.

But in hindsight, the best advice is learn what your friends know so you can talk about it and collaborate. If you don't have any friends, are a social outcast and got into computing because you can't deal with humans well, then go with Lisp, since it is the most powerful language there is and best suited for solo development.
>>
>>53106058
Golang
>>
>>53106058
Learn FORTH and Scheme then learn C++.
>>
If you are inclined towards C or C++ rather than Python, learn C first.
C++ will teach you all kinds of shitty features that you will get used to and then you won't be able to appreciate C which is simpler.

On the other hand C and C++ have very little useful built in libraries so you will struggle doing basic tasks.
Don't expect to see any serious shit except some numbers being printed on the console.

Python is far simpler and has rich libraries so you will quickly be able to realize whatever you wanted to build.
The cost is that you will have hard time learning C in the future because you will get used to hand holding.
Because C is so simple and you have to do everything manually, write your own algorithms, manage your own memory, etc. it's a good learning experience and it's transferable to any other language you want to learn in future.

To summarize:
>Learn C to get a solid foundation for programming.
>Learn Python if you want to get shit done immediately.
>>
File: image.gif (66 KB, 500x276) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
66 KB, 500x276
Powershell master race $$$
>>
>>53106058
You should learn Scheme (Racket) or Common Lisp
>>
What you wanna do ?

If you wanna make gaemz or performance dependent stuff stick with C or C++

If not go with python.
>>
It depends.

C and C++ are lower level languages, so you're gonna have a harder time applying them some time soon.
Python is a very high level programming language with a lot of useful libraries. You can do a lot of scripting with it, "Automate the boring stuff with python" is a great book that covers exactly that.

While learning C or C++ is definitely more benefitial to your in-depth understanding on how programming works, those languages may be just a tad bit too hard to start off with, you may lose your motivation and give up on it. Python is the easier way, but make sure that you look back at the lower level languages some time down the road.
>>
Java.
>>
C if you actually want to learn how to know how objects work and how they are stored on the stack, if you actually want to gain an understanding of how things work.

Personally I'd say you should start with C#/Java and then delve into C later. I don't see what good Python will do you
>>
>>53106150
i learned python first and then c.

it was fun getting to know why i did all those things i did with python, but now i'm back with python because it's more fun to do things than to learn things.
>>
>>53106058
Try Falafel.
>>
Python or C. C++ is an abomination that should only be interacted with one you're already decent. C++ will lead you to bad practices.

C is strong, Python is autistic whitespace sensitive shit.
>>
>>53108377

yeah why is whitespace such a big deal in python?
why was things like ; and {} removed? it's both stylish and functional.
>>
>>53106058
start with c++, it's not as daunting as everyone makes you think. you can look up libraries like SFML and SDL2 and try your hand at making tiny games, it's fun.
>>
File: 1418355916498.gif (602 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1418355916498.gif
602 KB, 500x281
>>53106796
>gif
>doesnt move
You piece of shit.
>>
>>53106058
MIT and Cal Berkeley use Python as their first language.

C & C++ are as much about managing a machine as they are about computing. Save for later.
>>
you should learn programming logic first
>>
>>53108377
If autistic whitespace sensitive shit is your complaint with python then you are autistic whitespace sensitive shit.

Deep down, you know this to be true.
>>
>>53106058
Python is going to be easier to learn at first, but if you learn C or C++ it's going to be easier to learn other languages later because they'll all be pretty easy in comparison
>>
File: 81900.jpg (379 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
81900.jpg
379 KB, 1920x1200
Honestly, don't start with any language.

Grab an introduction to programming book and learn pseudocode. Start at a high level because the concepts are the same regardless of language. Once you know the fundamentals you should have a grasp of the language you actually want to use.
>>
>>53108657
>SICP schools use SICP with Python
well no shit. And C schools now use Java.
>>
>>53109467
This is bad advice. Pseudocode won't make you understand programming. The core concepts of programming are the same regardless of language, but you can only learn programming by practicing.

To do that you need to pick a language you can start writing code in. Whatever you start with doesn't matter much though.
>>
>>53106058
C++

Anyone who says C is an autist
>>
People swear by Python but I don't like it. If you want to learn the basics of programming I'd tell you to start with a scripting language.

Then you can learn C, which is very easy to learn (but hard to master). After that you'll know what the next step is. C++ probably. Here our universities have a hardon for Java but I don't like it at all.

But if you want to get shit done, then this >>53106608
>>
>>53109467
this is retarded advice, OP. just learn python. you'll end up learning the concepts of programming at the same time
>>
Python is syntactic sugar for C.
Fucking learn Rust.
>>
>>53109608
>Here our universities have a hardon for Java but I don't like it at all.
Java might be a bad language (verbose, shit gernerics, etc.), but the debugging tools are good. That's the main reason people like it for teaching.
>>
>>53106058
I would recommend C++ or C at this point.

Python is likely the first language you learn that you can do something with. but it doesn't teach you types and memory. two of the most essential thing you want to learn in learning a programming language.
>>
C is the standard first language.

its either C, or Basic. learn Assembly for cred.
>>
Is it necessary to learn one language entirely at a time? I'm going to be away from the computer for a week so I want to buy a book tomorrow. I don't to spend money on a JavaScript/Python book, I'd rather spend money on a C/C++ book. Would that hurt me?
>>
>>53109970
I'll hurt you you fucking fruit
>>
>>53106058
C is the best to learn because it forces you to understand how the hardware works. Python doesn't, so you won't have a feeling of what's actually happening.

I don't know why you'd learn C++ as your first language. The extra features it adds are useless if you can't program already.
>>
File: watdo.gif (1016 KB, 500x250) Image search: [Google]
watdo.gif
1016 KB, 500x250
>>53106058
https://www.codecademy.com -> python
>>
learn python and actually write useful stuff in it - this is the most important step, you need to develop the skill in actually writing something, learning the syntax of a language isn't learning how to program, its learning to write and problem solve. python is easier to pickup. then after you should learn C, you'll get through the basics quite fast until memory management & pointers come in, then you'll want to spend time getting good in that area inorder to become a good C coder and get on linux also.
>>
>>53106608
>C and C++ have very little useful built in libraries so you will struggle doing basic tasks
The fuck are you on about. What basic tasks do you need to do that aren't included in C++?

I get that C is missing some useful stuff like regex and any data structures at all, but the STL is pretty good for general purpose.
>>
If you want a stable and secure job programming with a big organization (developing windows/Mac OSs/Linux/Android/etc), learn C/C++.

If you wanna work on phone apps, Java

If you just wanna learn how to program to mess around, Python
>>
>>53110051
>you won't have a feeling of what's actually happening.
And you're saying you think someone has to have a deep understanding of what's going on under the hood from the outset? Is there any topic of study where that's the approach instructors use?
>>
File: c++ library size.png (89 KB, 651x521) Image search: [Google]
c++ library size.png
89 KB, 651x521
>>53110161
The C++ standard library is tiny compared to java and c#. Herb Sutter has some slides on this like pic related. Start at around 1:10 if you're interested.

https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/GoingNative/GoingNative-2012/C-11-VC-11-and-Beyond
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.