[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi, I'm considering pic related audio interface for getting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 9
File: SteinbergUR22.jpg (88 KB, 800x456) Image search: [Google]
SteinbergUR22.jpg
88 KB, 800x456
Hi, I'm considering pic related audio interface for getting into recording and shit.

But I'm also seriously considering spending twice as much for the Audient iD14. What do I go with? Is it worth twice as much?
>>
Eh, if you're starting, just drop 100$ on a Scarlett Solo, no need to spend more until you really know what you're doing.

What DAW will you run?
Abletonfag here.
>>
>>53057533
Probably Audacity, because I won't be arranging any actual music. I want one that can have two mics, because practicing with something like a Scarlett Solo won't give me any idea about stereo micing.

I know a lot more than most beginners, but I still need to actually get into it.
>>
>>53057427
I picked up a Scalrett 2i2 a few months back. I record bass, guitar, vocals, and drums with EZDrummer with it + Ableton Live. Don't blow all your budget on an interface when a cheap one will do. Also, don't skimp on cables. You WILL get audio interference with cheap unshielded cables.
>>
>>53057593
It's not exactly ALL my budget. I'm gonna be spending $800 max, and right now I'm $150 below that on my shopping list. I can barely fit in the iD14, but I don't know if that's worth it. I've done enough research on everything else regarding microphones (spent a good few weeks comparing them). It's just that if it's worth twice as much, then I'll get it - it'll last me longer.

And no worries, I've picked out a couple of cables that should be fine.
>>
Nobody, huh? I know the UR22 is probably my best buy at $150, so I'm sticking with that unless someone advocates the iD14.
>>
Recommend a used Scarlett 2i4 off eBay. You can get it for about 150$ if you haggle a bit.

I don't recommend the Scarlett solo, it has problems with clipping for no reason when there's barely any sound going into the mic or something.
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (30 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
30 KB, 1280x720
>>53057427

I had a Scarlet 2i4 and I think those are pretty good for the money, but I'd say get a Roland Quad capture or spend more money for the Audient. Get a babyface pro if you want top tier driver support though, RME is by far the best in that regard.
>>
>>53057850
I'm a bit leery on Scarlett projects. Have heard Steinberg's drivers are much more stable.

>>53057919
I've considered a Quad Capture, but I think any quality differences between the two are negligible. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The Babyface Pro is far too much - the most I can spend with everything else I'm buying is $300.
>>
>>53057942
Scarlett products*
>>
>>53057427
I have the UR22 and can absolutely recommend it. It's also superior to any Scarlett in the same price range.
>>
>>53058094
Yeah, I came to that conclusion after doing my research. Glad to know I made the right decision. Let me know if you have any input on the Audient.
>>
>>53058026
So.... Focusrite?
>>
>>53058167
Yes, Focusrite is a line of Scarlett products...?
>>
>>53058179
Scarlett is a line of Focusrite products.
>>
File: starved.png (32 KB, 134x158) Image search: [Google]
starved.png
32 KB, 134x158
>>53058199
Sorry, I'm half asleep.
>>
>>53058222
It's okay, mang. Happens to us all.
>>
>>53057942
>quality differences between the two are negligible

Roland has better windows drivers, which is really the most important part of an interface. The preamps and ADC chips in all these budget interfaces will be very comparable.
>>
>>53057427
If you're only using 1-2 channels at a time, stick to somewhere under the $200 mark for the interface until you can drop $1k+ on an interface with conversion and preamps that make it a worthy upgrade - or around the same price for a preamp to run on the front-end as a legit upgrade. Don't know how new you are -- when I say "preamps" I mean mic preamps, not preamps for the monitors (speakers).

Between $200-$600 is generally stuff that's not much better in terms of conversion & preamps, just maybe more channels (4-8 mics) or some extra bells & whistles (built-in compression/EQ or something - at that price it'll be crap anyway).

Take the cash you've saved and put it towards decent monitors (speakers). Here you will feel the loss sticking to dirt-cheap, but it depends on what you're doing. If you're not making music then you can function decently with the cheap shit to do basic touch-ups for a voice-over or something.

You can go pretty cheap on mics in the beginning because if you make good preamp upgrades, you'll be surprised at the difference it makes even with shit mics. But yeah, mics matter - so spend good on those when you can.

The real shit STARTS at about $1k so just maintain that perspective as you decide on your initial purchases.
>>
>>53057737
Have you considered presonus?

My current set up for guitar/bass is

Les Paul -> presonus ione -> ipad (Bias FX) -> scarlet 2i2 -> PC/AP

Works really well.

Things that you must consider are how you recording and WAHT you are recording. as in miced vs straight in
>>
File: fucks wrong with you.png (172 KB, 390x349) Image search: [Google]
fucks wrong with you.png
172 KB, 390x349
>>53058483
I've heard some really glowing reviews of the $300 Audient interface, though, as if it sounds like those thousand-dollar pre-amps you're talking about. And yeah, I understand that monitor amps are different from mic pre-amps.

I know that generally I won't be looking at much of an upgrade in that price range, but the reviews for the Audient one were specifically glowing, plus it was released more recently than the other ones. So I was curious if it was worth it.

I'm very skeptical about people that say things like "the real shit STARTS at about $1k," because usually it's paying a lot for a .9% more in accuracy (or character, if I'm going for a colored sound) that I'm not going to hear.
>>
>>53058512
Definitely miced. No electric guitars for me. I'm more into instrument sampling and foley type stuff than recording music itself.
>>
>>53058515
Like I said, I'm speaking in general terms. There will be exceptions but tread carefully. There's usually some catch with low-mid-range gear. Usually.

For example, for field work I got a Zoom H4N - at the time it was $400 but it got popular and now is around $200 I believe. The preamps are surprisingly strong and bold - but the catch is the unit has an annoying noise floor that can get in the way if you recorded something too quiet and want to bring it back up in post/mixing.

I've been burned by headphones too - somewhere between $200-$400 for a pair of Sony's and Shure's - the Sonys sounded great until they just lost a bunch of midrange and sounded super treble-ie.... The Shures stayed sounding great but the headphones just FELL APART after about a year. Now I don't spend more than $100 on headphones unless I'm dropping big on flagship models.

Do what you want, man.
>>
>>53058603
Yeah, treading carefully is why I've been spending weeks figuring out my shopping list. I'm patient enough.

Portable recorders are so small and compact that I wouldn't even be surprised by the noise problem you're having. It'd really be something if the more expensive ones managed to mitigate that.
>>
>>53058634
Well sometimes I get stuff from the competing Tascam recorder and haven't noticed the same problem. Then again I don't own it so I don't know for sure.

But then there's something like the Sound Devices 702 which is built like a tank and $2000.
>>
>>53058703
>http://www.ebay.com/itm/Behringer-U-Phoria-UMC202HD-USB-Audio-Interface-w-MIDAS-Mic-Preamplifiers-/322003041241

Impressive specs for that price, but I doubt that it can compete with the UR22, especially on the pre-amps. Not sure on that one though.
>>
>>53057427
Steinberg UR22 is good, go for it.
>>
>>53058603
Don't get Sonys or any other crap for studio work, go for Beyerdynamic or maybe AKG.
>>
>>53058603
>>53058791
My Audio-Technica headphones have proven to be pretty sturdy & consistent, too, but the headband gets uncomfortable after long use times.
>>
I bought a Zoomh6 as my first recorder, along with 2 AKG 414 stereo matched pair.

I wish I had waited a bit and got the new Zoom f8. The preamps are supposed to be MUCH better than zoomh6, although it is twice the price.

I use audacity to filter out the hiss from my budget preamps, though. Still wish I had somebody who knew what the fuck they were talking about give me some input regarding this.
>>
File: JfLoN52.png (4 KB, 203x92) Image search: [Google]
JfLoN52.png
4 KB, 203x92
>>53058859
>spends 2k on studio mics
>buys a portable recorder
>>
File: 2487283482374.jpg (25 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
2487283482374.jpg
25 KB, 600x300
>>53058915
What the hell did I do wrong and what can I do to rectify the situation?
>>
File: enhanced-17159-1423068265-32.jpg (69 KB, 501x585) Image search: [Google]
enhanced-17159-1423068265-32.jpg
69 KB, 501x585
>>53057427
>Steinberg
>>
>>53058965
unless you absolutely must be mobile while recording something (or in order to record it), get something that sits on a desk instead of in your hand

it'll be cheaper and generally sound better
>>
>>53058859
Well if there's a consistent noise floor (hiss at a set volume) then you need to be trying to record as far above that floor as possible without clipping.

If the hiss sticks with the gain/levels of your mic, my suspicion is on your mic.

Stuff like iZotope RX has really good cleaning algorithms to help with trying to fix it in post.
>>
>>53058987
414s are preeeeetty good, I doubt they're the problem
>>
>>53058965
There's no point in buying expensive mics if you can't match them with expensive preamps.

Audio noobs make the mistake of thinking that a more high-end mic will make a bigger difference than a more high-end preamp. Not true. If you stuck a $230 Rode NT1-A on a legit Universal Audio/SSL/Focusrite channel strip, it'd sound better than your 414's in a Zoom H6.

What you're doing is like sticking really expensive lenses on a really cheap camera... Or buying an expensive 4k monitor but hooking it up to a Super Nintendo.
>>
>>53058998
Well maybe they were damaged or something. Just because you spent real cash doesn't mean it's impossible for something to be wrong.
>>
>>53059038
Unlikely, and he'd need to buy another interface to find out anyway
>>
>>53059048
He could go to a music/audio store where they have demo recording rooms set up and ask to try it out to see.

Could be the cable(s) too.

But again if it's a consistent-level noise floor it's def the recording unit.
>>
File: ts_65.jpg (101 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
ts_65.jpg
101 KB, 960x540
>>53059026
Can you recommend a good preamp for me? I heard good things about the zoomf8 for price/performance
>>
>>53059147
Well, it's still a field recorder. What're you doing that needs field recorders?
>>
>>53059147
>>53059192
*and I'd look at things like the Babyface Pro or Audient iD22, or the SPL Crimson

people mostly mention the iD22 or SPL Crimson at that price range
>>
>>53059147
>>53059192
>>53059283
*anyway, if you really insist on a field recorder, then yeah I'd go with the ZoomF8, it'll probably sound about as good. Should really finish my posts before posting them
>>
>>53059147
>>53059306
To make the 414's worth it and if you MUST use a field recorder, might as well save up another grand or two and get a Sound Devices recorder. That's the real shit in that part of the industry. Their preamps are standard in the movie industry and their stuff is built like a TANK.

Other guy is right that the pre's in the Zoom F8 will probably sound the same - the extra price is likely for extra features and better build quality. BUT if the unit has little/no self-noise then that might still be worth it for you.
>>
>>53057565
do yourself a favor and get a more advanced DAW. reaper is excellent and cheap, once you decide to spend some money on it.
>>
What are some good quality audio cables that aren't overpriced as fuck? UKfag here. I want half decent cables but don't want to spend money on memes.
>>
>>53059481
"I have to confess something. During the recording at Gotham, as I monitored both the Zoom F8 and the Sound Devices 744T, I was under the impression that the 744T had a lot more transparency and that the F8 had a lot of coloration. It wasn’t bad, but it definitely made me doubt how good the F8 pre amps could be. I didn’t want to make any final judgements then, though. I wanted to get back home, and playback the files to make sure of what I was listening to.

And hold and behold, after playing back the files on my computer, I realized that it was not the recordings, but rather the headphone amp on the F8 that was coloring the sound. I have to be honest and say that I am completely blown away by how incredibly good the Zoom F8 mic pre’s sound. I can hear very little difference against the Sound Devices 744T, playing back from my laptop’s DAC using ATH-M50X to monitor. There’s no audible self-noise, unlike its siblings. There seems to be a good amount of dynamic range too.

That said, the headphone amp leaves a lot to be desired in terms of frequency response, timbre and coloration. What you hear does not accurately represent what you’re actually recording, and that can be problematic on location."

So it seems zoomf8 is 3x cheaper than Sound Devices but has comparable sound quality, just the onsite headphone amp is not accurate which is perfectly fine to keep the cost down imo. There really isn't anything else on the market like it anyway.
>>
>>53057533
>>53057593
>>53057919
Please get the UR22, not Scarlet meme-interfaces. It has some serious Yamaha pre-amps that they use in higher end models.
>>
>>53059659
Really interesting to hear. I'd be interested to get more critical input from audio post-production guys mixing movies/TV in a studio environment -- but at least it sounds like the F8 is actually competitive.

Another thing SD stuff has going for is build quality too, which I mentioned.

This is a reason the $80,000 Arri Alexa still holds the movie market so well, even though it only shoots 2.5k and other cameras have better dynamic range, i.e. the uppper models in the Red camara lineup. But the Alexa is built like a fucking TANK - there's a short I saw where they literally filmed in a blizzard in the Arctic. Stuff like that.
>>
File: lexicon_alpha.jpg (54 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
lexicon_alpha.jpg
54 KB, 800x800
Grab a Lexicon Alpha. I picked mine up for around £40 last year. Minimal if any input lag, one XLR and one Jack interface so if you need two mics just grab an XLR to jack for like £5. Powered by USB type B cable so minimal cable management. It's basically perfect. Image related.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.