[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are almost all linux DE so shitty? Other than cinnamon
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 8
File: 2000px-Tux.svg.png (458 KB, 2000x2320) Image search: [Google]
2000px-Tux.svg.png
458 KB, 2000x2320
Why are almost all linux DE so shitty?

Other than cinnamon they all suck

Unity: Ugly. Not configurable at all
GNOME: Made for tablets. Very lacking for power users
KDE plasma : Unstable as fuck
Xfce, lxde, etc: Ugly and feature lacking

Cinnamon is slow some times because they use memescript and python, but usable

MATE is pretty OK though
>>
File: IMG_20150822_013511.jpg (49 KB, 523x476) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150822_013511.jpg
49 KB, 523x476
The meego DE is really cute
>>
>>52865845
Xfce is pretty good
>>
>>52865845
How xfce ugly ?
It looks exactly how you want it to
>>
>>52865946
They are still very feature lacking compared to the heavy DEs
>>
>>52865845
>MATE is pretty OK though
Fucking told you.

Gnome2 had so many years of work being put in it's development it was actually fucking usable.

But nooo let's make it garbage again and POOF gnome3 time.

I'm so thankful to those huehues behind mate I'm actually considering donating to the project.

There are some quirks to be ironed out for sure but damn it sure is the best linux desktop experience you can get.
>>
>>52865845
gnome is easy to configure and is easy to use with a keyboard.
kde4 and plasma5.5 is stable.
Xfce is more configurable than mate although you may prefer the defaults on mate.

But if you like cinnamon, then use that.
We don't have to like the same things
>>
File: mysides.jpg (9 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
mysides.jpg
9 KB, 200x200
>>52866022
>plasma 5.5 is stable
>>
>>52865993
same thing every time a desktop get redone.
When kde went from 3 to 4 and now to 5, everything becomes unusable and you can either make a fork or help the new child advance.
>>
>>52865993
Everybody but GNOME developers knew this was a terrible idea.

If GNOME3 had never happened, and GNOME2 kept being developed, we could have reached the year of the linux desktop by now.

Cinnamon is pretty much what the continuation of GNOME2 would have been if GNOME developers weren't retarded.
>>
>>52866095
well it doesn't crash all the time like 5.1-5.4 did.
The system doesn't radically change everything anymore.
It is stable now.
It still have bugs but that is how kde is intended to function.

>>52866154
cinnamon is closer to gnome 3.
Mate is a fork of gnome 2
>>
File: 1453056264221.png (151 KB, 339x288) Image search: [Google]
1453056264221.png
151 KB, 339x288
I think GNOME3 is pretty good.

fite me
>>
>>52866192
MATE is a fork of GNOME 2 that try to keep everything as it was in GNOME 2

My point is Cinnamon is what would have happened if GNOME developers weren't retarded. From the inside it has new technologies (gtk3, mutter) as it is expected, but keeps the same tested paradigm
>>
>>52865845
Use i3 you fucking degenerate.
>>
>>52866239
>meme window managers
no thank you
>>
GNOME3 is "usable", but you need a fuckton of extensions to make it anywhere near sane again. I'd much rather just install KDE.
>>
xfce is not lacking in anything
>>
What makes KDE "unstable"? I want to switch to Linux and KDE looks the most appealing, plus I don't really care that it uses 300mb as opposed to 200mb or whatever since my computer was built in this millenium.
>>
>>52866261
>I have a problem
>here's the solution
>NO! FUCK THAT SOLUTION
ok
>>
>>52866410
I've used i3 long enough to know that it's not a solution at fucking all.
>>
>>52866412
>mate
customizable*
>>
>>52865962
>lightweight de
> filled to the brim with features
pick 1
>>
>>52866450
ok.>>52866450
>>
>>52866217
But it is good

If a person works in terminal 90% of the time, then a tiling wm is good, but otherwise gnome is good even for 'power'-users.
>>
>>52866379
KDE 5 is absolutely filled with bugs.

You could use KDE 4 for now, that's pretty stable.
>>
>>52866379
KDE 5 crashes literally multiple times per hour. KDE 4, however, looks almost the same and almost does not crash at all. Well, maybe once or twice every 20 hours. In both cases the crashes are minor, it's just an error message after which KDE will take a couple seconds to restart, no data lost.
>>
>>52866714
I used KDE5 for about two months on Arch. Had some bugs, but never had it crash. What was your setup?
>>
>>52865993

First thing that I do on my CentOS7 machines is install MATE.

Not "yum update", not anything else: Install MATE.
>>
>>52866801
Latest openSUSE Leap. Maybe it crashed that often because I installed a whole bunch of widgets to see how they work.
>>
>>52865845
>Unity
>ugly
Nah you just have shit taste
>>
>>52867043
I don't get it. Why make a whole new DE when all they had to do is edit a couple of widgets for KDE?
>>
>>52865845
Why do you need a DE? Just use a WM
>>
>>52867140
Because it just werks
>>
>>52865993
I second everything you said. As for now MATE is pretty much the only fully functional DE.

I also like KDE 4 , but it's heavier and all you get is some eyecandy you don't really need.
>>
KDE Plasma 4 famalam
Customization of 5 without it exploding every 5 seconds
>>
>>52867097
I've never tried KDE so I'm not an expert. I've tried Xfce, MATE, Cinnamon and Unity. Unity so far is my favorite, Cinnamon was great, and the other two were fine, but a little less attractive. I haven't really hated a DE yet.
>>
>>52867389
What made you like Unity more than Cinnamon?
>>
>>52867412
The way multiple instances of the same application are handled. I like that instead of a taskbar filled with clutter, I just have two dots to the left of the app icon in the dock, and that clicking the icon allows me to select which instance to run. It's a definite space saver when I'm in a VM (there are ROM hacking tools that only work on windows) or moving files around.

I basically never use the dash, so there's less clicks overall to use the apps I want to use as well. Instead of clicking the start menu (or a shortcut link on the taskbar which, again, takes up space) and then clicking the app I want, it's just there.
>>
Plasma 5 is fucking great, highly customizable, built in tiling manager shortcuts, efficient virtual desktops. The k* applications are generally pretty good.

The newer releases are fairly stable.

In any case I don't know why OP is picking on "linux DE" when windows and macos both have really shitty DEs in comparison.
>>
GNOME just werks
>>
Openbox looks how you want it to. KDE also, except you're right, it's unstable as fuck.

But then, I'm the only one who thinks GNOME3 looks good, at least if you add a dock at the bottom and change to the Numix Circle icon theme.
>>
>>52865845
>GNOME: Made for tablets.
>First 6 releases of GNOME Shell required holding down control just to shut down or log out.
Nice theory, lol.
>>
All other DEs lack features compared to KDE.
I'm using cinammon (mint)
for a couple days now. Nothing I really dislike about it so far.
>>
>Unity
>No customizability, botnet
>Gnome
>Worse than Windows 8 tier tablet shit
>KDE
>Can't open the menu with Super
>XFCE
>Same as KDE, but no window snapping
>All of the above
>Mouse acceleration on by default with no option to turn it off

>Cinnamon
>Super opens the menu by default
>Mouse acceleration off by default, has slider in settings
>Built in theme manager AND downloader
>Neat, orderly list of installed programs to choose to open at startup
>Easily customizable with no 3rd party apps, every aspect can be changed from the start using simple methods like right clicking and settings panels
Cinnamon isn't just the best DE, it's the only good DE.
Every so called Linux developer should be ashamed that they can't even get basic shit like mouse settings correct while Cinnamon effortlessly does everything perfectly
>>
OP just likes cinnamon coz it looks like windows :)
>>
Others have already said it, but fuck it, I'll reiterate:

MATE is GOAT. Gnome 2 was where it was at, until the Gnome devs went full retard. Cinnamon is OK I suppose, but it's nowhere near as configurable and flexible as MATE. (Unsurprising, because iirc, Cinnamon is really just a Gnome 3 shell)

KDE was brilliant years ago, before the whole plasma debacle.

But that's how it goes in the open source world; the devs will do whatever the fuck they want, regardless of what the masses of users tell them is and isn't good.

You just gotta know when to jump ship. I jumped from KDE to Gnome 2 when KDE derped and went full plasma.

Jumped ship again when Gnome devs derped and abandoned Gnome 2. Also, Ubuntu went full Unity at the same time.

So these days, it's Mint MATE Edition, and shit's pretty cash.

LXDE and Xfce just aren't configurable/flexible/complete enough, although if you're just looking for a relatively lightweight and simple DE, they're OK, and the extra choices help drive the competition between DE's.
>>
>>52867560
There's not a DE that can compare to Windows if you know what you're doing. And KDE's shortcuts pale behind Autohotkey
>>
>>52867715
>Can't open the menu with Super
>This is the most important thing in any DE
>List of shit that other DEs you listed have, but fuck them because I like this one
>>
>>52867799
Cinnamon is the only one that has ALL the things I want, dip
And super is important, press super and start typing to open anything
>>
For me it's something like
KDE4 > Xfce >KDE5 > MATE > whatever > garbage > Gnome3

>>52867799
And you can just get Ksuperkey if you're in KDE.
>>
>>52867842
super modifier is windows tier shit, you can set it to any shortcut key anyway. There's also better ways to power search that using the start bar.
>>
>>52867889
>I DON'T LIKE IT SO IT'S BAD
Go back to your terminal grandpa
>>
>>52867889
I'm sure that you can think of a better method but you know what they say, old habits, they die hard.
>>
>>52867920
Respect your elders, kiddo.
>>
>>52868057
No fuck you old man
I'm gonna go hoverboard over to mickey d's and use a functional DE on my 2-in-1
>>
File: Selection_024.png (43 KB, 552x242) Image search: [Google]
Selection_024.png
43 KB, 552x242
>>52867954
I don't really want to shill for my favourites, but if you want some real function...I really don't see why you need a super key to a start seach when can have something like this.
>>
>>52867043
whats your icon pack/theme? thats nice.
>>
File: 2014-11-27 13.18.42.jpg (61 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
2014-11-27 13.18.42.jpg
61 KB, 640x480
>>52868164
Your hoverboard will probably burst into flames on the way there, and your "functional DE on my 2-in-1" probably looks like pic related.
>>
>>52868274
What do you do to open that?
Does it involve pressing more than 1 key and then typing? Then it's worse
>>
>>52868274
That's still not activated by the super key.
>>
>>52868336
So you opened the touch keyboard on purpose just so you could take a picture of half the screen and say it always looks like that?
That sounds a lot like shit posting
>>
>>52868349
You just start typing
>>
>>52865845
>xfce lacking features
Use windows or osx. We don't want you using Linux any longer.
>>
>>52868349
alt-space
>Does it involve pressing more than 1 key and then typing?
You can set to a 1 key shortcut as long as it's not a modifier key.

>>52868349
> Then it's worse
>>52868360
m8 fuck using super as a one key shortcut, that's like setting your shift key to launch a fucking app. I'm beginning to think you aren't really commited to the poweruser cause. Why is it so hard for you to learn new things? Super to open start bar is a bad and dysfunctional idea even if it's a habit.
>>
XFCE? Unstable?

In what manner?

Shit is bulletproof.
>>
>>52868390
>being this new
>>
>>52868399
Then how did you type that post without launching something

>>52868433
>You can set to a 1 key shortcut as long as it's not a modifier key.
Great, I love things popping up while I type
>>
>>52868433
>Super to open start bar is a bad and dysfunctional idea even if it's a habit.

Yeah, back in the day, before most keyboards came with a Super key we just used CTRL+ESC
>>
>>52868483
>Great, I love things popping up while I type
That's kind of my point. I don't know why you only want your super modifier to be for one thing.
>>
>>52868559
It's not for one thing
Super alone is for the menu, super+whatever is for whatever else I want
>>
>>52868318
Papirus
>>
>>52866217
why would i fite you man? i agree with this.
>>
>>52868433
>
m8 fuck using super as a one key shortcut, that's like setting your shift key to launch a fucking app. I'm beginning to think you aren't really commited to the poweruser cause. Why is it so hard for you to learn new things? Super to open start bar is a bad and dysfunctional idea even if it's a habit.
Except it's usually set up to open up your start bar only if nothing else gets pressed. Unless you set it up wrong.
>>
>>52865845
Cinnamon a best
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.