[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is installing this is fucking rocket science ? And even when
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3
Why is installing this is fucking rocket science ? And even when you managed to install it's nothing fucking special !
>>
>>52650348
nobody claiming it is.
People use arch because it is easier to get their perfect distro.
It is meant to be easy.
If you don't want to format the drive with a text interface, just use a graphical tool and move on.
>>
>>52650348
>Why is installing this is fucking rocket science ?
but it's not op
>>
It's not rocket science at all, and Architect makes it completely idiot proof if you're too stupid/lazy to do it the "normal" way.
>>
>2016
>still no package signing
>>
>>52650348
It's not easy, it's simple.
>>
File: install_arch.jpg (519 KB, 2170x1070) Image search: [Google]
install_arch.jpg
519 KB, 2170x1070
trivial
>>
>>52650702
False. Package signing has been there since 2012.
>>
>>52650348
>>52650719
Or....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oolGy0tZdaM

http://sourceforge.net/projects/architect-linux/
>>
>>52650719
>adding a third party repo to install yaourt
>>
>dev making installer quits
>"welp, fuck it"
Excellent work, guys
>>
>>52650830
how would you do it then?
>>
>>52650830
theres other stuff there
and seems funny people never freaked out much about PPAs

>>52650866
you like really dunno?

git clone https://aur.archlinux.org/package-query.git
cd package-query
makepkg -si
cd ..
git clone https://aur.archlinux.org/yaourt.git
cd yaourt
makepkg -si
cd ..
>>
>>52650883
Nah, it just seems silly to add a whole new repo just for one package.
>>
>>52650907
two
>>
That's the whole point of Arch, to make you waste your time and feel L33t doing so.
It keeps NEET from an hero.
>>
>>52651015
Then why not waste your time and install Gentoo?
>>
Is there something more NEETy than installing arch?
>>
>>52651058
Becasue with Gentoo you have to read a little more, it's not worth it.
>>
>>52651060
Drinking and sleeping most of the day away?
>>
Now that we're talking Arch, what is some really cool software that's available through the AUR?
>>
>>52650348
I agree that the installation of arch is more tedious than it needs to be. (like setting the timezones and such)

But I don't use arch for the superiority complex from the install, I use it because of how easily I can manage my drivers and for yaourt.
>>
How many months / years of linux experience would be required to make an Arch / Gentoo install or even maintenance not a pain in the ass?
>>
>>52651060
Not being employed, not currently having education/training?
>>
>Arch
>Hard to install

Gentoo user here, it took me several hours to setup networking in Gentoo, but only a few minutes in Arch.

Plus you have Antergos and Manjaro, while the only "just werks" version of Gentoo available is Calculate Linux.
>>
>>52651394
literally less than a month

not even kidding.

>>52651440
The first time i've installed gentoo, I forgot to compile my network drivers into my kernel. I was stuck for about 5 hours and almost quit
>>
>>52650907
>Nah, it just seems silly to add a whole new repo just for one package.

Pre-compiled Stable updates? I've had to downgrade makepkg just to build yaourt, at least one or twice before.
>>
>>52651211
>Now that we're talking Arch, what is some really cool software that's available through the AUR?

scdl
>>
>>52650348
it takes less than 5 minutes to install arch not including download time. you must be retarded
>>
>>52650440
>stupid/lazy

Ahh, there's that false sense of superiority. Only the third post, too. Well done, m'fedora.
>>
>>52651630
you're right, i've done a 4-minute install just for the hell of it once
>>
>>52651614

Sound Cloud Music Downloader? I prefer Soundscrape.
>>
>>52650348
>boot
>connect to the internet (wifi-menu if you use wireless network)
>mount -o remount,size=2G /run/archiso/cowspace
>pacman -Sy git
>git clone git://github.com/helmuthdu/aui
>cd aui && ./fifo
>reboot
>connect to the internet again
>cd aui && ./lilo
>profit
>>
>>52651778
literally more complicated than the install
>>
>>52650348
>mfw my fucking spanish college adds a section in an installation guide for java for archlinux users "due to its rising popularity"

I thought it was a /g/ meme
>>
>>52651880
I'm starting to see it more frequently as well.
>>
>>52651838
not really, after running the script everything you need will be installed and working
>>
File: 1453733888235.gif (3 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1453733888235.gif
3 MB, 480x270
>>52650719
This is nice.
>>
>>52650348
>Why is installing this is fucking rocket science
It allows much more customization. Try to get whole-disk-encryption via luks on lvm working on some other system.
>>
>>52650348
>rocket science
is this that you retards now call to reading instructions?
>>
>>52651880
Just look at the huge AUR and wiki. It has a lot of users.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.