[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the constraints of shrinking silicon? What was stopping
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1
File: samsung-Xian-fab[1].jpg (87 KB, 1177x741) Image search: [Google]
samsung-Xian-fab[1].jpg
87 KB, 1177x741
What are the constraints of shrinking silicon?

What was stopping foundries from pumping out 14nm chips in 2010? Was it the lithography? Is there some sort of dependence on earlier slightly larger silicon in order to create newer slightly smaller nodes?

Why does silicon only get ~30% smaller every year? What's preventing them from just saying "Oh shit, transistors are gonna be 200% smaller in a few years. Let's just do what we'd have then, except now!"?
>>
>>52644538
You are retarded. If you are actually old enough to post here and post such dumb questions then that is the only conclusion I have for you.
>>
>>52644538
shrinking means finding new ways of making transistors smaller. the reason this is hard is that electricity can travel through material at a very small scale, they call it leaking.
so basically they have to find new materials that don't leak as bad or think of new ways to make transistors like 3d transistors.
>>
>>52644538
Why don't scientists just come out with high net output nuclear fusion power? Like they know how to do it in theory, so why don't they just make it today instead of years from now?

The answer is that absolutely enormous R&D is done in stages.
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.