[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>sweats nervously
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 10
File: file.png (110 KB, 672x556) Image search: [Google]
file.png
110 KB, 672x556
>sweats nervously
>>
>>52589757

>Yeah Brenda, see the material your companies makes available to customers from my location is complete horse shit, which leaves me with two options. I can either use a vpn to browse your site from a location with a better selection or I can cancel my service. Never mind Brenda, you invasive cunt, lets go ahead and cancel my service.
>>
>>52589757
what VPN?
>>
>>52589992
>Ok then You, since this is a breach of our policy, I am not blacklisting this IP, and cancelling your service
>>
>>52590014
*I am blacklisting this IP
>>
>>52589757
Irrelevant Brenda. How does this question fix my <Issue>?
>>
Just say you are overseas
>>
>>52589757
So basically what you need to do now is make a new Netflix account in the target country of your choice and then always use a VPN for that country when watching the content.

And seeing fucking nothing comes out of anywhere but USA that means USA membership is going to rise and the rest will mysteriously fall.
>>
>>52589757
Why not just make a fake email and account once a month?
>paying for shit region-locked service
>>
>>52590014

>Blacklisting my IP
The same IP i've changed 7 times this past week
>Cancelling your service
AKA, literally exactly what I asked her to do

I guess i'll just have to sign up with a new address every month and enjoy your service for free...or stream the episodes online...or torrent them in 1080p.

That's my point, and why Netflix is being so coy with this shit. The technology to ban vpn's and proxies has been around for the past 10 years; if they wanted to implement it they would have but they wont and they'll only take half assed measures because

>1) If they do no one will want their service
>2) Customers already have the option of torrenting
>3) Customers already have option of streaming
>4) Customers already have option of gaming the system by signing up for free

Netflix knows they have to compete with traditional media and not their own client / customer base.
>>
>>52590079
don't they ask you to give them a cc number like crunchyshit? I doubt they let you use the same number more than once.
>>
>/g/
>actually PAYING for a service they are still getting illegally
>>
>>52590104
I mean if you are going to pay for a VPN, you may as well take full advantage of it
>>
>>52590100
do they? i don't think so
>>
>>52590114
yeah, take full advantage of it by torrenting without any fear
>>
>>52590114
>take full advantage
Exactly, for example by torrenting anonymously all you want, with no additional costs nor shitty DRM streams.
>>
>>52590100

I have like four cards, that alone gets me four months plus you can use gift credit cards
>>
>>52589757
just say you have no idea; netflix don't really care if you use a VPN and they certainly won't try and "investigate" into a paying customer's connection unless you make it obvious you're deliberately doing something dodgy.
>>
>>52590172
>giving your cc number over the internet
just torrent that shit m8.
>>
>blaming netflix becuase another company isnt letting them stream to you.

I dont get why this is netflix's fault. just download what you cant get.
>>
>>52590178
>Just to be sure, where are you currently located?
>Not sure
>>
>>52589757
Just say you travel. Or that you have a family member there.
>>
>>52590189
>not blaming netflix for making you pay the same price for less content
>>
I travel Brenda.
My job requires it.

Does your customer service job require leaving a cubicle?
>>
>>52590194
she was even giving him an out by saying "do you know what might be causing this?"
all he had to do was say nope and he would have been fine.
>>
>>52590208

no need to be a cunt m8
>>
>>52589757
>Not using your VPN to become a glorious pirate instead.
>>
>>52589757
Are you retarded? Who cares.

> Yeah I travel alot.
> Yeah I use a VPN
> Yeah FIX MY FUCKING PROBLEM!

Her question is irrelevant and you can dismiss it and move on. Or rather just stop paying for Netflix you fucking cuckold.
>>
a bit of background for you alleged "technology" board users. Sorry for everyone who already knows this, but it seems a lot of you don't.

Netflix is under pressure from rights holders to enforce some kind of bullshit distribution rights to certain countries, who cares about the details. But netflix also knows that the stricter their enforcement, the less paying customers they have and the less money they make.

So to keep the content producers happy, netflix has to make a token effort to catch VPN users. They do the bare minimum that they can possibly get away with, so they can show they are not complicit with VPN use. Hence Brenda's question which should have been the easiest thing in the world to get past, she and all her managers are making it as easy as they possibly fucking can for you to access their services with a VPN, without technically allowing it or encouraging it. And the rights holders should be fucking thankful that they do this, because anyone with a VPN who pays for content is supporting the industry when they could just be getting everything for free and not giving two shits. It's a buyers' market, and Netflix understands this, even if the rights holders somehow do not.
>>
>>52590468
>Hence Brenda's question which should have been the easiest thing in the world to get past, she and all her managers are making it as easy as they possibly fucking can for you to access their services with a VPN, without technically allowing it or encouraging it.

This sort of stuff comes up all the time. Aliexpress can't endorse the sale of fake luxury products etc. and will fuck you if you post them but all you need to do is black out the brand names and not refer to them by name and you're clear
>>
>>52590093
I agree with you, but how would you sign up for a free month over and over when you have to enter a new credit card each time?
>>
"I use TunnelBear to connect to my file server in my home office, back home in Australia. I'm currently overseas which is why you might see local usage."
>>
>>52590093
>>52590587
I just realized this was already brought up and I guess you can buy those visa gift cards and use them for it.
>>
>using a VPN to watch a paid streaming service instead of browsing their streaming catalog online and torrenting the shows you're interested in
Are all Australians this fucking dumb?
>>
File: feelsbadman.jpg (32 KB, 330x357) Image search: [Google]
feelsbadman.jpg
32 KB, 330x357
You guys realise it is not necessarily just Netfix arbitrarily fucking you in the ass right?

I live in New Zealand and we only just got our version of Netflix. It is super fucking gimped out of content because Sky and TVNZ lobbied the shit out of the government and cucked Netflix out of half their content they were even allowed to have on their service.

Also, fuck Sky and TVNZ. I sure love waiting until 7.30 pm on the dot to watch a two year old movie that has an hour+ of ads in it. So great.
>>
>>52590611
Have you ever used the internet in Australia? It's fucking woeful to torrent here.
>>
>>52590629
>It's fucking woeful to torrent here.
Define please.
>>
>>52590587
BLUR offers a credit card masking service.
>>
>>52590629
?
I torrent just fine in this shithole.
>>
>>52590623
..... Cunts killed global mode..... it was great not needing a VPN for that sweet sweet year
>>
>>52590623

It's not just NZ and AUS. South Africa is worse. Content found in Netflix US is split between 3 different streaming services there and India is similar. My South African family all use US proxies.
>>
>>52590670
6-8gbit/s is average speed for aus
>>
>>52590929
lol no
>>
>>52590883
Same in Germany. Content from the same producers is split among many providers. Often enough different seasons of the same show are split all over the place.
>>
File: fuck me.png (31 KB, 300x135) Image search: [Google]
fuck me.png
31 KB, 300x135
>nbn still 3 months away

JUST
>>
>>52590623
I love Dreamland (Utopia) and Laid. Dreading the day when CRTC is going to enforce minimal Canadian content like they do on everything.

We don't like the Bare Naked Ladies, they just get constant airplay because of minimal Canadian content.
>>
File: buffering.jpg (13 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
buffering.jpg
13 KB, 1920x1080
>>52590929
did you mean mbit/s? I don't see the problem anyway, do you think when you're streaming rather than torrenting the movie comes out of a parallel universe or something like that? streaming is literally downloading little pieces and playing them as you download the rest, no difference from torrenting except that once you finish a torrent it will stay in your hard drive forever, while the streaming movie gets automatically delected when you close the browser tab, besides if you have a shitty connection you have even more reasons to choose torrents, because streaming HD videos on a low speed connection is almost impossible, unless you don't mind the spinning wheel interrupting whenever you're enjoying watching something.
>>
>>52591031
You mean never.
>>
how hard is it to type "nope, no idea lol" into your keyboard? you don't have to look or sound honest or anything. it's not that fucking hard to lie and play dumb.

you don't have to assert that you're the smartest person in a conversation, and deferring to the dummy in the conversation instantly gives you amnesty.
>>
>>52589992
autism detected cant be a nice person
>>
>>52590208

Funny thing is this is actually the truth.

Why you would bother telling that to a customer service drone it beyond me though. They'll just stick to the script like good little robot people.

Thank fuck for VPN.
>>
>>52590468
So what's Netflix's excuse for making people pay the same price while offering less? you can't pretend that people in European countries pay the same price of US countries when they get to see only less than 20% of content available to the US users, it's stupid to even try to justify this bull shit. Netflix is exploiting the good will of people outside the US who bother to pay for a subscription when they could find a download link a few clicks away with any search engine.
>>
>>52591122
>what's Netflix's excuse
you're not paying a few cents for access to each title. if you were, by the logic you need to justify them charging less in the EU given the limited library, then you'd need to accept arbitrary, abrupt price changes each month as the library shifts and changes as a result of deals with rights holders. but we all agree that would be awful.

their pricing scheme isn't that complicated. it shouldn't be confusing you.
>>
>>52590929
Top lel no.
>>
File: h_50435628-485x375.jpg (32 KB, 485x375) Image search: [Google]
h_50435628-485x375.jpg
32 KB, 485x375
>everyone i know jumps on the netflix train because they can watch regions outside of Australia
>Australia's content list is piss poor
>still pirate everything and archive it all
>>
>>52591143
>then you'd need to accept arbitrary, abrupt price changes each month as the library shifts and changes as a result of deals with rights holders

I'm ok with that actually, it's not that hard to create a system like this, Netflix should keep advertising the same price as always (the US subscription price) but when it actually comes to transactions, the bill should be reduced based on the unavailable content.

They can create a system that counts the total number of minutes of content available in the US which would be the 100% of available content, which costs 9,99$ (or whatever is the US price I dunno).

For example if the total number of minutes offered in the US were 1 million minutes, we have this:

1 mil = 100% = 9,99$ (let's round it to 10,00$ for this example)

Then count how many minutes each other country gets to see. Let's say that in Germany only 150k of minutes are available:

150k = 15% = 1,50$

This should be the price that German users deserve to pay this month.

Let's say that next month Netflix obtains licenses for another 50k minutes of content to stream in Germany and at the same time adds 100k minutes in the US:

1 mil + 100k = 1100k = 100% = 10,00$
150k + 50k = 200k = 18,2% = 1,82$

Next month in Germany would cost 1,82$ and so on. There's literally nothing for the user to worry about.
>>
>>52589757

Just say you shared your login with friends from America. You do have friends, right?
>>
>>52591261
>I'm ok with that actually,
fine. most consumers are not.
>>
>>52589757
>going to all this fucking trouble to watch inferior Web-DL tier movies/TV shows

Fucking pirating is easier, cheaper, superior in terms of quality and more convenient than that bullshit.
>>
>>52591261
this is why people study psychology and economics. customers would see fluctuating prices and think that they could be taken on a runaway train. see a fixed price and fluctuating *value* (in other words, fewer or more titles for the same $9.99 rate) and that doesn't feel as dangerous.

Being autistic and running the numbers might be super pleasing but don't mistake it for sound business judgment.
>>
>>52591274
did you even read the rest? there's no sane person on earth who would choose to keep paying the full price, if Netflix adopted a minute-based billing method.

We have computers in 2016 that can be used to automate the process if you didn't know.
>>
>>52591309
you're technically right, which is the least important kind of right in this context.
>>
>>52591320
consumers...meh fuck it.
>>
>>52590623
Fuck Sky so much. I'm pretty sure they're throttling my connection to ~0.3mb/s or less now (past midnight at least)
I've told my mum how extortionate they're being, and how much fucking cheaper she could get all the same services for (and much quicker speeds etc.) But she's too stubborn to switch, and just entered another contract with them
>and then flips out at me for leaving the lights on when I'm not in a room
Guess I need to stop being a NEET fuck and leave
>>
>>52589757
>i have no idea
>>
File: 1389707613894.jpg (33 KB, 399x376) Image search: [Google]
1389707613894.jpg
33 KB, 399x376
>>52591590
>my mum

Even on blue board it is discouraged to participate in discussions when underaged.
>>
>>52591681
I'm 19
>>
>>52590178
>Netflix don't really care if you use a VPN
so what all the companies that give them money for ads don't care if many of the people that see their ads aren't even in the regional demographic for their products?
>>
>>52591039
>Utopia
The guys that made that are great.

It's funny how the only television worth watching here is actually funded by the government (through the ABC and SBS) rather than the corporate interests that are pushing for the international rights shit anyway.
>>
tfw I bought my subscription with a vpn because the monthly bill is cheaper.
>>
>>52591409
bitching about this is retarded for two reasons. for one thing, complaining about how people perceive things is like shaking your fist at clouds.

but for another, trying to assess the value of the library on an individual basis is insanely stupid. i'm not going to watch everything, so what matters is the content i'll actually want to watch.

and if netflix had a direct incentive to license fewer titles (which is the mechanism you're advocating), they would only license the mainstream shit that appeals to the lowest common denominator. everyone would lose. prices would be lower, but it's because they'd only bother to license shit that 90% of subscribers would sit through. the vast majority of titles under the current regime don't need that kind of viewership for the system to work.
>>
Ben did you really make a thread about this?
>>
This is genuinely fucking pathetic.

The other day i had a girl over and she wanted to watch House of Cards or some shit so she boots up my Chromecast and logs in with her Netflix account, only to get it terminated and her bank charged. She got mad and accused me of hacking or spidering or something equally retarded to her account.

I have a VPN set up on my home network that everything goes through, and i don't use Netflix. i torrent, because fuck your shit.

Anyway, apparently she has never used her account on anything but a US IP. So Netflix locked up her account for signing in from an IP that they couldn't even resolve the geographical location of.

Baw she was mad, yeah..
>>
>>52591730
Netflix has ads now?
>>
>>52591989
lol
>>
>>52591271
That's not allowed under their ToS
>>
>>52591989
Pay her back the money and resolve the issue with Netflix. It's what, 8$? not a big deal...
>>
>>52592060
you're still a virgin aren't you.
>>
>>52592378
You're a poorfag aren't you?
>>
>streaming
>paying for region locked services
top kek
>>
I am reporting all IPs in this thread to Netflix.
>>
>>52592504
fuck off narc
>>
>>52592543
r u 4 reel?
>>
>>52592504
pls don't report me 127.0.0.1
>>
nice shitposting, retards.
>>
>>52590114
>paying to pirate
>>
>>52589757
Wait, so what's this?

I've never used any of this netflix shit
>>
>>52592639
Reminds me back in the usenet days when people used to say that.

How is usenet now days anyway?
>>
>>52592705
A
>>
>>52590623
Use smartflix or some shit.
>>
>>52592672
I was flirting with Brenda, when she said "I will be right back" it was because she was going to take some nudes to send me
>>
>>52591031
97mb down 38up.

Feels good to tease retards in aus/vic.
>>
>>52591681
26 and still living with parents
>>
Isn't netflix considered the poorfag option yet?

I mean the reason so many people have it is because it's cheaper than buying all those DVDs or getting satellite TV

When will we get an iphone equivalent blu-ray delivery service so that netflix people get ridiculed as poor for not paying more for the same shit?
>>
File: 1450831478688s.jpg (3 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
1450831478688s.jpg
3 KB, 125x125
>>52592848
It's okay, I know this feel too.
>>
>>52590623
NZ here too, I just use unblock.us and get literally every show Netflix provides.
>>
>>52592903
>blu-ray delivery service
>optical media sent through the mail

It's like it's 2002 again. Can wait to rev up that dial up.
>>
>>52589757
How do you explain your Australian credit card used to pay for you netflix subscription then?
>>
File: 94fa922d.jpg (9 KB, 180x196) Image search: [Google]
94fa922d.jpg
9 KB, 180x196
>>52593028
They're banning DNS spoofers in Australia as well as VPNs.
>>
>>52593298
Aww dude that sucks. Lucky I'm not Aus though.
>>
>52590093
>The technology to ban vpn's and proxies has been around for the past 10 years

Jesus Christ, where do I start
>>
@52593439
>doesn't know how to reference
>>
>>52589757

>cuckflix
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (17 KB, 400x275) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
17 KB, 400x275
See? They don't want your money. That's what I said all along!

Either pay for and suffer your crappy regional Netflix or just pirate it. There is no middle ground.
Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.