[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
WEB DEVELOPMENT. windows vs IOSX which one should i use /g/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 4
File: maxresdefault.jpg (56 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
56 KB, 1280x720
WEB DEVELOPMENT.
windows vs IOSX

which one should i use /g/?

TL:DR; mac vs pc for web dev
>>
Ubunux
>>
self bump
>>
Linux
>>
>>52551264
ios if you had to pick

bash shell is too good
>>
>>52551264
Linux, debian or arch.
>>
You don't need a special OS for meme'ing up HTML and Javascript.
>>
>>52551325
as a newbie to web dev what is so good about bash?
>>
>>52551264
OS X, has Visual Studio Code AND has the basic UNIX utilities, such as bash.
>>
Wamp + brackets.io on Windows and you are done.
>>
Linux. LMDE is what I use, working with MEAN stack, some SQL dbs, going to start learning Ruby on Rails.

If you are only going to use one of those two, I seriously recommend going with Windows / Linux dualboot. You'll need Windows for IE & legacy testing.
>>
>>52551264
Dual boot, for proper testing.
OS choice is a matter of preference, but when you need to do some testing, you're gonna need both.
Mobile too.
>>
>>52551264
I've worked in web dev on OSX since 2009, and it's extremely convenient to be able to SSH into your web servers, alongside your text editor of choice. You can also do all your compatibility testing in VirtualBox and run Photoshop/other Adobe applications for designing and extracting template images. You also get native iOS Safari compatibility testing using XCode and Android testing in Genymotion, though not really necessary because things look mostly identical between iOS/Android. You're usually compromising one or more of those conveniences by running Linux or Windows. I'm sure you could manage fine on any platform though.
>>
>>52551264
Linux for hosting the web server and testing and run a windows vm so you can test out edge and ie.
>>
>>52551264
No one in the web dev/design field will take you seriously unless you have a MBPr.
>>
I'm going to get a lot of flack for this but honestly cygwin does a great job adding most of the basic bash features you need. So if you need ssh to work like how it does in unix then I recommend that. The only issue is that it doesn't come with a command line based package manager.

Regardless of choice for testing purposes you'll want to either duel boot or use vms.
>>
>>52551264
most people use mac for web design, the tight UI and response screens allows for better placement of elements and the readability of the font in retina devices is second to none for coding.

I'm team red on Linux, btw.
>>
Windows is the worst option.

OS X is the de facto standard.

Linux (especially Ubuntu) is a very distant second in popularity.
>>
>>52554899
Why not just use wine instead of getting the whole OS?
>>
>>52555868
Wine has been hit and miss for me, but still an option
>>
File: 11037631.jpg (15 KB, 330x319) Image search: [Google]
11037631.jpg
15 KB, 330x319
>>52551264
>IOSX
>>
adobe muse
>>
Unless you do asp or so, Mac OS X with Sublime Text should be a complete win for you.
>>
>mac vs pc

Given that all modern Apple computers are IBM PC compatible so you couldn't mean them, I wouldn't recommend using a Macintosh for anything in 2016.
>>
>>52552474
I know you are right. But you have to understand that if you want to get replies you have to make unintelligent answers.I am disappointed your answer. So here's your (You)
>>
>>52551363
Underrated post
Just install Firefox and Chrome and check if it works on both. That's how.
>>
File: Capture.png (7 KB, 556x180) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
7 KB, 556x180
I made a website a while ago and my friend told me I should put it on github. What option should I choose?
>>
>>52557995
None
>>
>>52558033
There's only add, create, and clone.
>>
File: prankster.webm (3 MB, 582x320) Image search: [Google]
prankster.webm
3 MB, 582x320
>>52551264
for backend: mac, because unix-like
for frontend: windows because a lot of people still use Internet Exploder 8 and you will need to test in that so you either need full windows or at least a virtual machine
>>
>>52557995
>The year of our Lord two thousand and sixteen
>Still using SJWhub
why
>>
I use Sublime Text, so it's the same thing for me.
>>
>>52557995

Add, select the directory containing your website. Also learn how to use git before diving into it.
>>
OSX obviously. Unless you are doing C# nonsense.
>>
>>52558365
Any better alternatives?
>>
>>52551264
OSX with VM's/Vagrant boxes for linux servers

windows a shit
>>
OSX all the way
>>
OSX is the choice
>embedded ruby
>embedded python
>embedded git
>brew package manager
>easy to install stacks via command line without pulling your hair out messing with windows environment variables
>just werks
>>
>>52551264
>WEB DEVELOPMENT.
>windows vs IOSX
>which one should i use /g/?
>TL:DR; mac vs pc for web dev

Linux. Recommend Ubuntu because it just works (unlike osx).
>>
>>52555053
Bait harder
>>
>>52558344
>supporting IE8
>while MS doesn't even support IE10
Anything below IE11 is deprecated and you shouldn't offer support for them
>>
OSX + Postgres + Django = best local stack
>>
>>52551264
>GUISE WHAT OS DO I NEED TO WRITE TEXT IN AN EDITOR
Fucking die already
All webdev packages/servers/tools exists for both platform
>>
Linux for server.

Windows ia you want to make money and not memebucks. The big contracts are always backend and ASP.NET. It sucks, every web dev knows this but we don't have the authority on what your employer picks where to host.

If you want to be just a designer then stick with HTML/CSS/javascript.
>>
>>52560629
>The big contracts are always backend and ASP.NET
From experience, I would say dotnet, java, ruby, and php for backends
>>
>>52551264
Get the cheaper one, it really doesn't matter.
>>
>all these replies

Web dev is platform independent and your "product" is also platform independent.
>>
>>52551264
Linux.
Probably Debian. Arch if you're feeling adventurous.
>>
>>52558807
it is.
But people use it.
And clients often demand it.
Fuck just like year I had a client asking why the site breaks on his ancient laptop in IE6
>>
>>52561602
>i can't say no
I simply refuse to work if I have to support anything below IE11. And if someone asks me why their site isn't working on their shitty laptop I'm not afraid to tell them the reason is because they're using software that was deprecated years ago.

The single reason why so many people are still using older versions of IE is because companies have literally cucked themselves to please every single person instead of just bluntly telling them to upgrade their browser to something that has support. Old hardware isn't an excuse, you can easily install modern browsers to any computer that runs IE6. If you're so tech illiterate that you can't accomplish that then you don't deserve to browse the internet.
>>
>>52551351
>Linux, Linux or Linux.
>>
>>52551264
OS X or Linux. No question.
>>
>>52551264
>IOSX
what?
>>
>>52555819
Another person with no idea what their talking about.
>>
>>52551264
Real answer: You are expected to use OSX for web dev (outside of .NET MVC anyway). If you use Windows, you won't be productive and you'll have trouble using standard tools. If you use Ubuntu/Fedora/RHEL, you won't have full access to standard file formats (DOCX, PSD) which you will be expected to handle. If you use any other variant of Linux, well, obviously you aren't a serious productive candidate and are just a kid who likes to tinker with his window manager instead of getting anything done.
>>
>>52565671
>you are expected to use osx
You're full of shit, you're not expected to use any particular OS. Most companies use Windows, a small minority of hipster small firms use OS X, in the corporate world Windows is pretty much the standard. That's where most of the money is.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.