[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Aus | University & Education | Technology
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
File: received_1018304338241889.jpg (9 KB, 300x135) Image search: [Google]
received_1018304338241889.jpg
9 KB, 300x135
Hey /g/ AusFag here,
What are some useful technology courses that won't become redundant immediately.

> Next year I'll be going to Uni, I'm aiming to get an ATAR of 90+
> I've been looking at doing CS (honour's) and then furthering my certification at Cisco (ultimately with a goal of network architecture, as it pays really well and the market exists here for it)
> Not sure if its a meme or not, but many are saying on here that CS is a waste of time.
> Mechanical engineering is better, but I don't know of much R&D in Australia that would make good use of it.
> I'd have to move to the US or Germany to get work.

Share you experiences and advice wise anons

(Pic not related in this shithole)
>>
Shameless bump
>>
>>52537469
Look at Software Engineering, has the prestige of Engineering with only some of the Computer Science. I'm going to be doing it this year with a minor in Software Development. It sounds so much better than CS
>>
>>52537469
CS is absolutely not a waste of time, many people here never went to university and/or only have certifications and are rationalising their own circumstances by trying to denigrate CS.

I finished CS a few years ago in Melbourne and now run my own programming consultancy, work remotely. I recommend it.

I'm also considering moving to the US sometime this year, but no idea if that's going to happen yet.
>>
>>52538352
Unimelb? 3rd year cs here, do you recommend doing a masters?
>>
>>52538366
Monash, I really have no idea about masters. I'm considering one myself, but only because I've seen jobs I'm interested in that specifically require it. If I were to do a masters, it would be at Unimelb though. I'm not all that keen about losing my current income so I can study.
>>
kiwi here, does /g/ think computer science or computer engineering? Personally id prefer to do computer engineering but it has requirements i dont yet have (unit standards in physics and calculus) So not sure if its worth getting those over starting computer science now
>>
underaged and v&
>aiming to get an atar of 90+
if your older than 18 and your still in highschool then I doubt you will get anything higher than a pass.
>>
>>52538452
Computer Engineering is more focused on hardware and embedded systems, as far as I understand? If that is the case, I'd say your employment options are more limited doing engineering over science. You can always get into the university in engineering and apply for a transfer to science later.
>>
File: have you read your sicp today.gif (9 KB, 511x494) Image search: [Google]
have you read your sicp today.gif
9 KB, 511x494
>>52538324
>prestige

lmao, so you actually convinced yourself of this, eh kiddo?
>>
>>52538496
your computer engineering courses should teach you how to write emails to your Dell sales rep so he can schedule a tech to come out and install the system you agreed on because that's all you'll ever be doing
>>
>>52538531
'Software Engineering' usually comes with an official certification as an engineer by the local engineering association, so I guess there's some prestige in that

>>52538549
Great shitpost m8. Someone has to write all the embedded C code out there
>>
Post your OP's

1 reporting in. Graduated with a perfect 7.0, and have been in UQ for 2 years doing Computer Science/Mathematics double major. Have a spot in a graduate program next year too for CS.
>>
>>52538496
Yeah it's heavily focused on embedded systems as I understand which interests me personally more than computer science but I'm sure you're right about job opportunities.

Going to talk to uni tomorrow, never done anything there before so a bit overwhelmed and running out of time to decide :/
>>
>>52538559
computer engineering is like IT. that's literally it. who the fuck told you that you'd be writing embedded C code in CE? that's bullshit

>'Software Engineering' usually comes with an official certification as an engineer by the local engineering association, so I guess there's some prestige in that

all computer science degrees in oz make you a member of the ACS. nobody in the ACS has contributed anything to the advancement of the field of computer science. on the global stage, we're irrelevant.
>>
>>52538580
just go work in the mines for a year, and figure it out bro.

easy money, and no pressure, and you get time to mull it all over instead of making a pressured decision.
>>
>>52538565
Congrats, that's pretty impressive

>>52538580
Well, maybe you should do engineering then. In CS, we probably spent 1 semester on assembly and low-level before we worked in high-level languages forever after. Better to choose something you like rather than suffer something you don't. Like I said, you can always transfer internally to CS if you don't like it.

>>52538588
>on the global stage, we're irrelevant.
I don't disagree
>>
>>52538608
>Congrats, that's pretty impressive

it wasn't easy. but it sure as hell was worth it.
>>
>>52538601
I'm a little fuccboi I don't think I'd surivie senpai

>>52538608
Thank you anon, I wonder if I can do it the other way around (since I don't have the base requirements for comp eng yet) and start with comp sci I'll be able to switch to comp eng with credits.

It would suck to waste a year studying
>>
>>52538990
If you're still in the thread, it's likely CompEng and CompSci share core first year units, so it's very likely you'd be doing similar units in both course for the first year, with an Intro to CompEng in CompEng and Intro to CS for CS. So basically if you swap courses, you retain credits for 75% of the units you studied.
>>
>>52539372
Awesome thank you for your explanation sir, removes some anxieties
>>
>>52538601
mining boom is long over m9
>>
don't waste your atar on business or CS
Get a chemical engineering degree
Ez money
>>
>>52537469

CS is and isn't a waste of time. great career with potentially poor working opportunities based on your location/outsourcing/how well you interview/experience/portfolio.

>>52538366

i did software eng at melbourne before the melbourne model came in.

because the breadth subjects take away a vital opportunity to do as many third year subjects as you can and depending on what subjects you've decided to take, i'd consider it.
>>
>>52538588
>all computer science degrees in oz make you a member of the ACS. nobody in the ACS has contributed anything to the advancement of the field of computer science. on the global stage, we're irrelevant.

makes you eligible to be a member. acs membership is only worth something if you don't have a CS/SE/IT background and want to work in CS/SE/IT... or you want to get PR or become a citizen.
>>
>>52537469

If you want to be a network architect, just do all of the Cisco certifications all the way to CCIE. Spend time learning Linux networking too. All of the information is freely available, there's countless in depth guides and thorough documentation.

University will waste time that could be spent learning pure networking and get you experience faster.
>>
>>52538565
whats UQ's mathematics department like? I was thinking of doing applied mathematics there. Got any advice/ things you wished you knew going in?

well done on the perfect GPA!
>>
You fucking Trip copier
>>
>>52540149
Thanks for the advice anon, I'm not so sure about that. I can Major in networking and security in CS, then further my education with better grounds. Also I'm pretty sure it means I can skip some of the Cisco certifications required before network architecture, meaning I can just jump into the bones of it.
>>
>>52538588
>nobody in the ACS has contributed anything to the advancement of the field of computer science. on the global stage, we're irrelevant.
Why is this important? ACS is for Australia, it's not for the world.
>>
OP Here,
What high paying carriers exist that could come out of a CS degree, would network architecture be at the top?
>>
>>52542692
And it tends to help in this conservative job market to have some credentials first.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.