[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thoughts on Brendan Eich's new web browser, Brave? htt
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: firefox_on_suicide_watch.png (44 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
firefox_on_suicide_watch.png
44 KB, 400x400
Thoughts on Brendan Eich's new web browser, Brave?

https://brave.com/#about

He's the guy (also creator of javascript) who was ousted from Mozilla by SJWs if anyone forgot...
>>
>>52534850
It's still a botnet, to use the meme term for it, it's just less of one than browsers are by default.

the article I read about it says that it profiles you and then reports that back to the website for ad-targeting, but its thing is that it won't personally identify you, and it makes the tracking less precise than most ad networks run today.

this isn't an acceptable answer, the solution here is to block all ads, tracking, and analytics.
>>
>>52534922
It's not a botnet. It replaces ads and trackers with standardized, non-tracking ads that you can choose to disable.
>>
Another chromium fork? Sign me up!
>>
http://news.softpedia.com/news/bravo-internet-browser-blocks-regular-ads-and-replaces-them-with-its-own-499180.shtml

>Brave will be built to provide its own spaces and ads, so it's not like users will no longer see ads inside webpages any longer. The browser will display these ads as being a part of the page, in a more native way.

>>52535028
Yes, that's the problem. The problem is that it's serving any ads, period. And selling those ads is his monetization model, which puts him on the side of the advertisers, not the users.

>The Brave Internet browser is designed with a single purpose in mind: to avoid the incoming advert war. People are blocking ads and with enough people blocking ads the future of the Internet as a free enterprise is in jeopardy.

Yeah, damn right it's war. Advertising is inherently adversarial. The whole goal of an advertiser is to distract me from what I want to be paying attention to and place my eyeballs on something else. They do this because they hope to persuade me to spend money that I otherwise would not.

The browser needs to be on my side and my side only in this. It mustn't collect any data on me at all, even if it promises to not disclose it to advertisers, or to only disclose it in a non-identifying way. Because what if, in three years, his company is on the rocks and hurting for revenue, but has a whole bunch of data on me and other users? He'll have every incentive to change things to sell me out to admen.
>>
The fuck. It's actually called "Brave"? Yeah, he's so brave for standing up for his dumbshit reactionary hatred of gay people.

>He's the guy (also creator of javascript) who was ousted from Mozilla by SJWs if anyone forgot

No he wasn't. He voluntarily quit after some social media backlash when it came to light that he was funding anti-gay organizations. People criticize me all the time, but I don't fold my cards and run away crying. If you can't deal with criticism, then you have no business in business.

Besides, your SJW boogeyman isn't the only type of individual who would take an exception to someone basically shitting over decades of human rights struggles.

The guy's entitled to his beliefs, but saying he was "ousted" is blatantly false. There was nothing keeping him from his job. He quit knowing full well that his fellow conservative cronies would make him out to be some kind of martyr who was viciously denied employment by a God-hating society.
>>
File: Elissa_LADYBOSS.jpg (408 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
Elissa_LADYBOSS.jpg
408 KB, 900x900
>Elissa Shevinsky
>Head of Product

His head of product is a rat-faced Jewess.
>>
>>52535218
The guy whose career was nearly destroyed by SJWs actually hired the fucking embodiment of SJW?
>>
>>52535195
I'd say that a business organization shouldn't put pressure on anyone to quit because of their political beliefs, but it's really besides the point. Brave is about selling out users to advertisers, just in a different way than, for instance, Chrome. That's the problem here.
>>
>>52535193
>the world needs to give everything to me for free!
>>
Oh good, so instead of malvertizers having to find obscure exploits in various browser add-ons and features, now all they have to do is find the giant gaping holes in the advertising API in this one.

(There's no way you're going to convince me it's not going to have as many holes as swiss cheese.)

And even if that doesn't happen, you're just going to see the same 4-5 ads on every single page until you get sick of it.
>>
>>52535255
If you think your content is so damn valuable, why are you posting it on the public internet? If you want a paywall, put up a paywall. Most places don't do that because they know not enough people would pay their own actual money for their content for them to stay in business. In which case, they might want to consider closing up shop.

The Buzzfeeds and Gawkers of the web will be first against the wall, and a good thing, too.
>>
>>52535195
>The guy's entitled to his beliefs, but saying he was "ousted" is blatantly false. There was nothing keeping him from his job.
Sounds like you have never really worked in a proper workplace where peoples gripes and company politics get in the way of the average worker going about their jobs.
>>
>>52535235
>The guy whose career was nearly destroyed by SJWs actually hired the fucking embodiment of SJW?
Clever move as he fights fire with fire!
>>
>>52535302
You do realize this brave new browser is just going to give all of the advertising bucks to Eich instead of whoever owns the website, right?

Shitfeed and Squawker won't see jack shit in terms of ad income regardless.
>>
>>52535645
http://www.businessinsider.com/former-mozilla-ceo-brendan-eich-launches-ad-blocking-web-browser-brave-2016-1?op=1
>Publishers will get around 55% of revenues. 15% will go to Brave. 15% will go to the partner that supplies the ads. And, interestingly, 10-15% goes directly to the user.
>It "won't be huge," Eich says, but this will let users automatically make micro-payments to publishers they like. Brave will then block all the adverts on the sites that they choose to pay for.
Apparently "publishers" means websites.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.