[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/cct/ Career and Cert Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 11
File: Network+.png (69 KB, 2111x1166) Image search: [Google]
Network+.png
69 KB, 2111x1166
Let's talk about certifications and careers!

If you're actively studying or interested in learning more about certs, ask away. Learn how to use certs to get jobs

If you have a tech career:

>Job Title
>Years of Experience
>Degrees/Certs
>How did you find/get job
>Pay
>Location
>>
>Job Title
Network Admin
>Years of Experience
>Degrees/Certs
A+, Net+, Sec+, CCNA R&S
Contractor website
>Pay
131k (101k tax-free)
>Location
Afghan
>>
I'm studying for me N+ and I got my A+ in November.

It seems like there's less material to learn, but it's a lot harder.

I'm using Mike Meyer's book, Lynda.com, itprotv.com, and Professor Messer.

What kind of jobs should a self-taught idiot with no degree look for?

Also I'm rural :c
>>
>>52530319
Honestly, if you're in a rural area... any job that will take you. Just getting experience in any capacity is better than none.
>>
File: protect.png (321 KB, 584x466) Image search: [Google]
protect.png
321 KB, 584x466
>Job Title
Sys admin/Devop
>Years of Experience
4 years
>Degrees/Certs
None.
University graduate. Aditionally took a 2 years networking formation that included CCNA, CCDA, A+, Network+ and one module of CCNP.
>Pay
Kinda decent for where I live in. Shit if converted to dollars.
>Location
Caribbean.

I'm currently studying for Linux+. Am like 30% in, but just hella afraid of these exams, I feel like I'll have to take them a lot of times even though I certainly know these stuff..
>>
>>52530544
>missed a question there, derp.

>How did you get a job
By applying.
>>
File: 1453276577964.jpg (21 KB, 393x360) Image search: [Google]
1453276577964.jpg
21 KB, 393x360
Ok here's my situation:

>21
>Mexipoor
>on my last semester in electronics in a technological high school
>interested in embed systems
>local public university has CS, Informatics (direct translation) and Electronics

What should I go for?

Also I'm planing on working this second half of this year with my meh-degree as a electronic technician or something taking a small break from school, so I'll have some free time. Any certs worth looking for related to embed systems?
>>
File: 1444754576721.jpg (135 KB, 425x516) Image search: [Google]
1444754576721.jpg
135 KB, 425x516
Is this a good source to practice for the actual test?

http://www.examcompass.com/comptia/a-plus-certification/free-a-plus-practice-tests
>>
>>52530544
What is that 2 year networking course? I;m also in the Caribbean.
>>
File: 1452720615109.gif (607 KB, 800x792) Image search: [Google]
1452720615109.gif
607 KB, 800x792
>>52530544
>Degrees/Certs
>None

Then

>University graduate
>>
>Job Title
NOC Tech
>Years of Experience
< 1 year
>Degrees/Certs
Network+
Indeed.com
>Pay
18/hr
>Location
Texas
>>
>>52531085
>>>/your school advisor/
>>
>>52530292

What exactly do you do? Are you with the Americans out there or are you from Afghan yourself?
>>
File: 1453330050398.jpg (103 KB, 1711x893) Image search: [Google]
1453330050398.jpg
103 KB, 1711x893
>job title
IS Help Desk Support I
>years of experience
>degree/certs
B.S. IT/none
>how did you find/get job
I applied while working at a previous service desk job, I made $14/hr at my last job and it was contract so no benefits, too far as well
>pay
19/hr
>Location
MI/OH/IN midwest region
>>
File: me.png (127 KB, 292x300) Image search: [Google]
me.png
127 KB, 292x300
>Job Title
IT Technical Support

>Years of Experience
8mo

>Degrees/Certs
Associates in art history
CCNA
Sec+

School hooked me up

>Pay

>Location
Northeast US
>>
>>52533334
I work for a defense contractor, so we are working on an American base. It's breddy good for single dudes.
>>
>>52533445
>IS Help Desk Support

>Hello, IS Help Desk Support, if your problem is regarding your virgins, please hold to be transferred to our afterlife allotment department
>No, my problem is with my vest. It's not blowing up. I pressed the button, and the light is on, but I can't blow up.

>ok sir please hold the line, which model is it? Ah the Sheik Mohammmed model? Yes, we have had some problems with those, it's actually going to be declared haram in next quarter's fatwahs.
>have you tried turning it off and back on again?
>ok sir i think that concludes the troubleshooting, please keep shooting your weapon

>Might I interest you in upgrading to a Osama al Benghazi? It's quite ackbar, i might even say it's the bomb, hauahuahuahalal
>Ok, yes that sounds good. Where can I pick it up?
>>
>>52533548

this happens everytime I post "IS" and I always forget, kek
>>
Anyone have any jobs were it's real chill?

I'd like to get an entry level job that has some downtime so I can study for other certs and my degree.
>>
>>52534938
Try and find a helpdesk job with second or third shift. I used to work helpdesk support 2nd and 3rd shift for years and had a ton of downtime between calls/emails/chats to dick around and do whatever I wanted.
>>
>Job Title
>Years of Experience
>Degrees/Certs
A.A.S Network Administration/IT
Network+
"IT Fundamentals" (was part of finishing my Capstone project. Had to get cert to get grade.
Work in a warehouse moving boxes and running the shipping dock. In through my father.
>Pay
$30/hr. Full medical benefits. Vacation, etc.
>Location
1hr away from my parent's house. Making the money I do, I'm paying a measly $300 in rent to them while I save for a house

Going for my BA in... something. Probably security/data forensics. My job gives me $6k a year for school and a lot of positions open up when I get a BA.
>>
>>52535082
What state are you in?
>>
>>52529510
>>Job Title
IT Work Study
>>Years of Experience
2 semesters so about 8 months
>>Degrees/Certs
A.A. with no certs as of now
>>How did you find/get job
through my college
>>Pay
$8.25/hr but it's flexible around my school schedule
>>Location
Florida

I have a question, I need to grab atleast one cert this semester but I'm not sure which one would lead to better job potential for system admin. I was thinking about getting either my Net+ and/or MCSA but don't know which one would be better. Can anyone offer some help? Thanks in advance
>>
Is it worth it to pursue this as my first cert? It's being offered as an online course by a school I'm applying too.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/learning/mcsa-certification.aspx
>>
File: 4L_39UvnTWa.gif (1 MB, 303x307) Image search: [Google]
4L_39UvnTWa.gif
1 MB, 303x307
I love these threads. They make me feel comfy. Not that I have a great job like you guys, I just see a career out of these certs
>>
any good certs for programmers or are they just for IT/sysadmins?
>>
File: penguin.jpg (110 KB, 500x263) Image search: [Google]
penguin.jpg
110 KB, 500x263
>>52533460
>art history
>>
>>52535749
Security cert is always worth, even for programmers.
>>
Should I skip A+ and go straight for N+, Sec+, etc.?
>>
Anyone ever use one of those paid learning services like ItpPro TV or Pluralsight to study for certification exams?

Are they any good?
>>
>>52535963
yup, that shit is useless senpai.

We need a cert power rankings
>>
>Job Title
Help Desk
>Years of Experience
>Degrees/Certs
Imprivata Certifie Administrator
Network +
Proofpoont Accredited Admin
indeed
>Pay
>Location
USA
>>
anyone here worked at robert half technology?
>>
>>52533473
for a contractor do you get to make your own schedule or what?
>>
I work as a analyst in a hospital in CA. $24/HR basically as tier 2 support and supporting various projects. Two years experience. I have an unrelated degree and no certs, but understand some aspects of the health care biz and reimbursement from other jobs where I dealt with insurance.

My pay is low by about 40% for the area.
>>
what is recommended taking ccna in 1 or two parts?
>>
Just passed my CCNP route test this morning
>>
Fuck. My mobile client posted before I could write the second half of my comment.

>>52537389

Has anyone taken the new version of CCNP switch? Any tips?

>>52537192

Take it in two parts. Cisco hands out vouchers for the ICND1 like candy. And if you take it in two parts you will get minimal IPV6 questions.
>>
>>52537507
where can i get some vouchers?
>>
>>52537546

See if you can register for Cisco netacad. Then you need to take some practice test and score at least 75% to get the voucher

Try asking instructors at your local technical school for one.

GetCertified4Less and supervoucher offers vouchers at 50% off occasionally

I think if you're signed up for the PearsonVUE newsletter you might occasionally get an offer.

All of these vouchers are for half off the ICND1 exam
>>
>Job title
Unemployed
>years experience
>degrees/certs
nada + dropped out of school in 9th grade
>pay
does food stamps count?
>Location
USA

Now that being said i can program in c++ and python pretty good, I have written a few small programs and have a few c++ projects in the works.

No one will probably hire me to write code though because my resume looks like shit.

This is why i'm probably the only laborer you will ever meet that can code in c++.
>>
File: assman_concerned.png (261 KB, 569x563) Image search: [Google]
assman_concerned.png
261 KB, 569x563
Currently in college, easy gen eds this semester. 19. Haven't taken anything integral to It yet, Never gotten a cert before. Where should I start? What kind of basic IT certs or beginner level jobs in the IT field should I scope around for before summer vacation starts?
>>
File: redhat-logo.jpg (62 KB, 360x396) Image search: [Google]
redhat-logo.jpg
62 KB, 360x396
I recently passed rhcsa exam 275/300 and I'm working on rhce. What jobs should I apply for and what other certs should I be working on?
>>
>>52537941

>Where should I start?

A+ or ICND1. Maybe even one of the associate MS certs if you want to go the server route
>>
>Job Title
Hardware Test Engineer
>Years of Experience
>Degrees/Certs
BS EE
University website
>Pay
$80k
>Location
New England, USA

life's good I guess
>>
>>52536809
No, not that type of contractor. I work 5 days a week, 12 hour days. 60 hours every week. The hourly doesn't work out to be all that great.. but the majority of the cash being tax-free makes it worth it.. plus I'm actually underpaid compared to some guys out there.. A couple are making ~250k a year.. I need a better contract but I took this to get my foot in the door and to get a security clearance.
>>
>>52535351
Really fucking easy and somewhat useful.
>>
>>52535968
Bump.
>>
>>52538953
Never used either but have heard lots of good things about Pluralsight
>>
>>52538953
Pluralsight definitely better
>>
>>52530292
How hard was it to get recruited for that position?
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.