[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's your opinion on maintenance software like pic related,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: asc.png (82 KB, 238x325) Image search: [Google]
asc.png
82 KB, 238x325
What's your opinion on maintenance software like pic related, TuneUp and the like?
>>
you only use it if you're literally tech retarded and don't know how to manage your system
>>
>>52495463
>not tech retarded
>uses windows
>uses windows with shit softwares like this
>>
Computer repair person working in retail here.

It's the worst fucking cancer known to man. Fucking adware piece of shite. NO ONE installs them on purpose.

If you have ever installed shit like that on purpose, you should stick your dick in your cooling fans and shoot yourself.

>>52495716
>telling people to use them at all

Fuck you.
>>
>>52495463
My old school's IT admin used to install this kind of shit on all of the computers, even the old pentium 3 clunkers dotted around the place.
>>
>>52495463
The only maintenance i need my computer to do itself is defrag my HDD when needed, and it checks once a week.
>>
I occasionally use ccleaner for deleting stuff but don't touch the registry cleaner.
>>
>>52495908
Iobit and the like are particularly bad: any brand that consistently describe themselves as some sort of market leaders with innovative tools and unique algos, and produce software with way too much eye candy.

Fake "customer" "reviews" social media style on the homepage are a plain giveaway too, or homepages featuring completely irrelevant photos of smiling women and playing kids, or happily grinning young dudes behind a laptop.

Also any program that makes generalized claims about the aftereffects of its primary function instead of sticking to describing its primary function: junk cleaners don't make your pc faster or more private, they just clean junk files and traces. Registry cleaners don't solve errors, they remove invalid data like broken path references.

Anything relying on the authority fallacy: "our product is great because review site x says so and our mother brand is y"

I could go on for a while but it basically boils down to 99% of all software being utter shit that should be avoided. the ones that make the least fuss about themselves and often have very few users are usually the best of their category.
>>
>>52496268
Maybe just one more:

any software that tells you it does x but doesn't divulge exactly what it does to achieve that is to be avoided too.

I've caught iobit red-handed that way once: supposedly my 1 year old win7 laptop and my grandma's 5 year old vista laptop had preciesly 27513 "errors" that needed to be fixed.
>>
>>52496322
The best registry cleaner I've ever used (for removing invalid paths and the like after shitty uninstallers don't clean up after themselves, leaving missing dlls and other crap registered) is eusing: it's so old it still has that installer that goes fullscreen #0000FF with win98 icons but it finds more invalid entries than ccleaner and any other tool combined. Its scans take accordingly longer: you can actually see it traverse the dir structure and entries.
>>
>>52496419
Found the shill. Leftover registry entries are a non -issue.
>>
>>52496495
They are literally not always: just yesterday I removed some lenovo crap, but the uninstaller didn't clean its junk and left some sort of low-level auto-start entry behind, making windows prompt me about a missing file at every login. Removing the broken entry obviously made windows stop complaining.

Similar shit happens all the time, anon. Uninstall your default media player/image viewer/whatever and leave the registry entries behind -> you can't open any of your files until you remove the broken association.
>>
>>52496495
Literally retarded
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.