[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hybrid Drives
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: wd-dual-drive-back.jpg (87 KB, 604x434) Image search: [Google]
wd-dual-drive-back.jpg
87 KB, 604x434
Are they just a meme?
Recently picked up a 2tb hybrid. Haven't gotten around to formatting yet

How are they?
>>
>>52484735
Why not plug in the one you literally just bought and form your own opinion for once?
>>
File: 1449944161540.png (63 KB, 181x166) Image search: [Google]
1449944161540.png
63 KB, 181x166
>>52484747
>Haven't gotten around to formatting yet
Why not learn to literally read for once

It's a great idea op, been wondering if I should get one
>>
>>52484735
Haven't used the WDs but suspect they'd be better than Seagate. I have a Seagate 500 and the speed difference is quite noticeable from a standard drive.
>>
>>52484735
>buys something
>then afterwards researches if its good or not
why do people do this?
>>
>>52484842
Americans are stupid fatasses who will buy anything on an impulse.
>>
>>52484735
Hybrid Drives (two part in one) or a SSHD (hard drive with SSD cahing)?
>>
>>52484846
And yet still remain on top
>>
>>52484735
This: >>52485207

My laptop came with a self-pinning 1TB(8GB SSD) SSHD. I haven't noticed performance differences from an old WD Blue, but one thing is for sure: thing heats up like crazy on Linux and Windows 7.

It sits below the right palm rest and just won't let me touch my laptop unless I'm on Windows 8.

It is a Seagate SSHD.
>>
>>52485207
Thought they where literally the same.
What, does OP's show up as two separate disks?
That's kinda cool.
>>
It won't be long before a real 1TB SSD will be the same price. A 1TB SSD was like $500 not too long ago, and now it's less than $350. That hybrid drive is $250.

Also I question the longevity of the SSD in that setup. If you have one big SSD, you write most of everything you need once with little frequent rewrites, and maybe a quarterly OS reinstall if you're as anal as I am. With a hybrid, you're constantly writing over the entire thing as you access the rest of that 1TB HDD. Since someone buying that couldn't just live with 120gb of SSD space, they must be constantly accessing space outside of that range. So data is being rewritten over and over again, which shortens its lifespan. It's kind of the worst of both worlds.
>>
>>52484846
We use the dumb ones as banks for research; add a 2% performance increase and put a "NEW!" sticker on it, then slightly lower the price of the old one and increase the price above average for the "new" one.
because of this, everybody and their mother have a computer/ internet/smartphone here, some times 3 or more...... seems to have fucked up the internet a bit, but ..hey that's the cost. hopefully they can be contained with
twitter/facebook
>>
>>52484735

as long as you disable the SSD portion, you should be fine.

or better yet, just put your most crucial files on the HDD portion. The swap stuff that you can afford to lose should be placed in the SSD cache.
>>
>>52485567
what the fuck

what you just said fucking hardlocked my brain

I Don't even know how to respond to that
>>
Hybrid drive + SSD is the best combination and is infinitely better than HDD + SSD

In general, hybrids are better than regular HDDs but are pricier for some relatively small benefits. (YMMV). HDDs are not better than SSHDs, though, and are actually *less* reliable; people who say they're worse dont know wtf they're talking about.
>>
>>52484735

Dunno if these are the same as the Momentus XTs I got a long time ago (and still use) but they seem reliable enough, and faster than standard HDDs
>>
>>52485567
>implying you can control what's put on the SSD portion
>implying it's not automatically filled with stuff you frequently or recently opened from the HDD part
>>
>>52485567
you have such a lack of information on how any of this works and yet speak with such authority

bravo
>>
>>52484779
OP bought it already, we can't influence him with our opinions. Formatting a HD takes 2 minutes. Forming his own opinion takes 2 seconds. OP made a thread that means and contributes nothing. We mean nothing, existence will be swallowed up by the sun.
>>
>>52485659
Depends on the type of drive. The OP's image is actually two drives stuck together, with separate portions that act as two separate drives. Most other hybrid drives automatically cache stuff on the nand.
>>
>>52485539
Don't tell the goyim our secrets
>>
>>52485517
its because normies doesnt know the exact benefits of an ssd drive, so regular hard drives are still selling better so they have to get prices low
>>
>>52485517
That's a SSHD, this shows up as two different drives, it's mostly designed for laptops which have only one drive
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.