[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there some way I can hash the contents of my computer so that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 5
File: 9Pljy2u.gif (280 KB, 500x328) Image search: [Google]
9Pljy2u.gif
280 KB, 500x328
Is there some way I can hash the contents of my computer so that the police can't confiscate it and dump CP or whatever and frame me?

Like some sort of automatic updating hash system that connects to a personal fileserver, cloud server, and saves a hash file on the computer itself, so that I could show in court that files were added to my computer after it was confiscated and I have the hashes to prove it happened.
>>
File: hash.png (48 KB, 982x594) Image search: [Google]
hash.png
48 KB, 982x594
>>52474331
The police really does that sort of things in your country? I don't know about cloud and stuff like that but you can use something like IsoBuster to hash your HDD, see pic (I'm sure there're other programs that can do the same too).

You can probably automate the hashing process every X hours or days and even automate uploading the MD5 file to a cloud service of your choice, if you know to use python or java, I guess.
>>
>>52474331
I just finished Making a Murderer too
>>
>>52474945
Why did I expect that to end positively? It just left me angry.
>>
File: 4w2jCpX.gif (132 KB, 500x271) Image search: [Google]
4w2jCpX.gif
132 KB, 500x271
>>52474945
I don't know what Making a Murderer is... uh, assuming it's a TV show; I don't really watch much TV.

I simply distrust law enforcement, for no more reason than they have the opportunity to fuck me over and I would be stupid not to consider and prepare for that eventuality.
Planting evidence has certainly happened in the past, and it will happen in the future. I'd rather not be a victim of such.

I don't have anything illegal on my computer (pending laws changing in the future...), but I'm well aware of what a law enforcement officer could easily do with a simple thumbdrive and some CP copied from the computer forensics department.

If I can protect myself from this, and it's relatively painless to do so, then I want to do so.

And before it's suggested: Yes, I could encrypt my HDD so nobody can even see what's on it, but that wouldn't stop the court/judge from doing something like fining me $30,000 and holding me in prison until I give up the password to them under Key Disclosure laws.

Perhaps a hash created and stored, with timestamp, at every lock/unlock of the device?

I'd honestly be surprised if this sort of security software doesn't exist at the moment. It'd be useful in some situations just for checking your running system to ensure it hasn't been tampered with.
>>
>>52474331
Sounds like you kind of want something like tripwire or dd-verity?

However, if your threat model is corrupt law enforcement, that will not save you, or your kneecaps. Moving will.
>>
File: qg7yrpa.gif (4 MB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
qg7yrpa.gif
4 MB, 600x338
>>52474872
Is there any option for hashing besides SHA-1 and MD5?

As I understand things, both have been compromised recently.
>>
File: ezWGsxf.gif (684 KB, 500x207) Image search: [Google]
ezWGsxf.gif
684 KB, 500x207
>>52476907
It can mitigate damage.

CP's basically life-ending stuff.

If they plant drugs on me or something, I'd still be fucked, but I'd be less fucked.
>>
>>52476942
Thats a smooth gif bruh
>>
>>52476911
probably yes but not with isobuster afaik, I don't use linux very much but you probably can do it natively in linux from terminal, windows most likely can't do this sort of operations that require certain permissions, it's probably a very slow operation depending on the size of your hard drive.
>>
>>52476864
>fining me $30,000 and holding me in prison until I give up the password to them under Key Disclosure laws.

Is this actually a thing? Where?
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.