[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
UHD Blu-ray Dead on Arrival?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
http://www.highdefdigest.com/blog/ultra-hd-not-always-4k/

Sounds terrible.
>>
unless you have an enormous tv or you sit really close to it I don't see how it makes a difference
>>
I still watch 720p rips on a 1080p TV and they're just fucking fine
>>
this upscaling bull shit plus dumping already obsolete 4k TVs on early adopters last year shows that they don't know what they're doing, or rather don't care.
This will probably be a tiny niche like vinyl.
Everybody just streams.
>>
>>52469295
with vinyl you at least get cool artwork

this is 100% placebo unless you have mutant supervision
>>
UHD is pretty much a failure because a comfortable distance to watch a TV isn't close enough to actually see the detail improvement of 4k over 1080p.

I don't care if the picture looks better when I am three feet away from the TV. I am not three feet away from the TV. I'm about seven feet away from the TV.

It's the exact same reason why 4k is worthless on phones (except when using it for VR? but you're not even going to use your TV as VR).

But then you add to the fact that there is just NO content. Even when Blu-ray came out you had the ability to remaster from film into BD which totally makes sense, but even then there's not enough detail in the film to go up further to 4k, and anything filmed digitally is stuck at the resolution it was filmed at.
>>
Well shit, I had no idea that so many movie studios were just lieing about all of their content in 4K. If most of its just opconverted bs, plus the loss of 3D, then that's kind of tragic...
>>
>>52469389
The thing that might make me buy a 4k blu ray player (when the player and discs are cheaper and have a decent library) is that 4k discs will have an increased bitrate. I'm kind of a "videophile" and know old grainy films remasterd on blu ray looks the best when there is as much bitrate as possible on the video.

I would buy the 4k discs to watch downscaled on my 1080p TV. But there's no way I will buy the 4k version of a blu ray I already or pay over $20 for it.
>>
>>52469490
>I'm kind of a "videophile" and know old grainy films remasterd on blu ray looks the best when there is as much bitrate as possible on the video.

This is the definition of niche and a valid scenario, but not mass-marketable at all.
>>
Nah it's just going to take a while to get going. Only buyfags will suffer.
>>
How long until will get 4k upscales from rotten analog films?
>>
I'm more interested in the expanded color range (HDR) than the increased resolution anyway.
>>
Nobody watches TV anymore.

But for monitors UHD is a big plus.

I really want 4K monitor with passive 3D.
>>
>>52470807
>color range
>hdr
>implying they are the same thing
I hope you die in pain
>>
read somewhere that the new blurays will support 4k, 60fps, and 10bit

thats some legit shit tb h
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.