[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What made Macs so special for music production in the first place?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
What made Macs so special for music production in the first place?
>>
>>52442602
Core Audio.

AFAIK, the difference is microscopic nowadays, but its still caused it to be a standard
>>
Nothing really. They had good music software, but so did the PC, Atari, Amiga, etc.
>>
Nothing, it's a normie meme.
>>
>>52442630
>>52442635
Most PCs didn't even have sound other than the PC speaker until the early '90s
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sACo5QntGc

This video is obviously an Apple marketing tool and only tells one side of the story but it's quite fascinating to see.
>>
>>52442602
Fairly high population of faggots in the music industry. That's it.
>>
>>52442677
Nobody used computer's onboard sound to make professional music in those days, silly.
>>
Literally nothing except the fact that they bought Emagic in 2002 and aquired Logic Pro which made them the only option for people that were married to Logic or buy into the "apple is for creative snowflakes meme"
>>
>>52442628
This and ProTools.

Mac became the standard in studios because everyone doing serious music wanted both of those.

Nowadays it's irrelevant.
>>
>>52442602
Product placement
>>
>>52442602
Real time kernel, FireWire interface, good software.
I have a friend in the music industry (works for an actual studio, not in some hipster band) and he's still using a G4 Mac for some things.
>>
>>52442710
Guess you're right when I think about it. Still don't think the PC would have been very conducive to it versus an Atari, Amiga or Mac though, considering they were much better for graphical solutions.
>>
>>52442752
Now it doesn't matter anymore but people gets attached to things...

Audio professionals still suffers with storage as they use lots of tracks. Firewire storage was the solution for this back in the days... USB 2.0 did not help too much.
>>
File: Cakewalk_5_DOS_fair_use[1].png (11 KB, 648x329) Image search: [Google]
Cakewalk_5_DOS_fair_use[1].png
11 KB, 648x329
>>52442812
I dunno, stuff like Cakewalk was pretty powerful
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.