[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Synthesizer thread? They're technology too. I recently
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5
File: Moog.jpg (416 KB, 2048x1365) Image search: [Google]
Moog.jpg
416 KB, 2048x1365
Synthesizer thread?
They're technology too.

I recently got my hands on a Minimoog Voyager and I'm wondering what the best compliments would be for it.
Suggestions wanted: I'm thinking either some moogerfooger bits or starting a eurorack build.

Show me what you all have and why you like it.
>>
File: Electro5D.jpg (74 KB, 1111x833) Image search: [Google]
Electro5D.jpg
74 KB, 1111x833
not actually a synth player but there aren't many key players on /g/ so I'm going to contribute anyways. my romplers

Nord Electro5D 61 key
Korg SP250 88 key (slave keybed for the Nord)

I like the nord because it is "bitimbral", it generates sounds for the slave board and treats them both separately.
I'm a piano fag but I use all kinds of sounds with my band and the Nord supports custom samples
>>
File: waldorf-blofeld.png (142 KB, 752x354) Image search: [Google]
waldorf-blofeld.png
142 KB, 752x354
>>52430332
Oh I also have a Waldorf Blofeld synth, the desktop version. I honestly find it super boring, if it had dedicated knobs for the fun bits it would be a bit more fun to twiddle with but I decided instead I just dont like bleeps, bloops, sweeps, or swoops. I'm not sure how anybody finds them interesting, I'd be happy to hear your take on it. I just can't into enjoying sound synthesis
>>
>>52430277
Are we including modular synths?
That would be my realm. /industrial-metal
>>
>>52430332
I've always been intrigued by the Nord keyboards but never really looked too far in to them. What differentiates them from the crowd?

Thanks for the contribution by the way, it's been pretty dead recently.
>>
>>52430451
Hell yeah dude, modular is my shit. I just felt like starting with an all-in-one synth before getting in to the whole modular scene.
>>
>>52430483
Not at home atm.
Do you have a sys setup yet?
If so, whatcha got?
>>
>>52430414
I haven't used a blofeld so I can't comment on that specifically, but I do find joy in making random-ass noises for no particular reason.

I think one thing that contributes to it is that I enjoy making new sounds that I haven't heard before even more-so than writing a good chord progression or melody.
99% of the sounds I make are ugly and not really note-worthy, but that other 1% are lovely surprises and keep me at my desk trying new things.
>>
>>52430505
Or rather, what are you planning to get?
>>
Is there any cheap alternative for a minimoog? I already have a microbrute but I really, really, really like the sounds of a minimoog.
>>
>>52430522
So far the only analog synth I have is my Voyager, which is rather illogical if you ask me, seeing how I kinda started at the pinnacle of premium synths.

Right now my plan is to get a CV expander and Moogerfooger Control Processor for the Voyager and then fill a MakeNoise Skiff case with various modulation and effect modules since I already have the three oscillators in the Voyager to generate sound and (will have) multiple LFOs to trigger/modulate whatever I end up putting in the Skiff.
>>
>>52430533
Off the top of my head, buying one used is the best way to go about it in an economic sense. I, being a frivolous piece of shit, decided to drop $4,000 on the special Aluminum edition.

I don't regret a thing.

>pic unrelated
>>
>>52430277
The voyager generally goes well with everything, it's an incredibly versatile synth because of the robust filter setup. I tend to use it a lot with the Jupiter emulator from Arturia. If you're looking to really expand it's ability, I would recommend the CV expanders, in particular if you see yourself going modular soon.
>>
>>52430582
I definitely plan on going modular within the next year or so.
Do you think it would be a better bet the get the input or output CV expander?
Since I can't daisy-chain them like I was hoping, I figure the output would be moderately more helpful since there are already several CV inputs built in.

That said, the input expander would allow me to modulate the synth in more ways and likely open up more possibilities. It would just require me to purchase more external LFOs and/or sequencers/related modules.
>>
>>52430332
my brother just bought a nord electro 3. i'm so excited to learn how to play that think. the fucking mellotron samples are glorious.
>>
File: mayonnaise_basic.jpg (185 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
mayonnaise_basic.jpg
185 KB, 600x450
>>52430521
I too enjoy making random ass-noises anon...
>>
I have two microkorgs atm,
>>
>>52430632
The most important thing for expanding the voyager in my opinion is getting an lfo into it which can be cv triggered, phase reset, swingable, and ramped. Even very small modulations can make it really sound alive.
>>
>>52430468
The E5d is my first Nord, so I cant speak for the whole Nord family, especially not the synths because it lacks all synth functions.

Pros:
its extremely lightweight and compact
There is a dedicated knob or button for every feature, very little shift->click type functions
The nord samples sound really super good, nord piano samples are hands down the best i've heard from a hardware instrument.
Electro series has excellent hammond organ simulation, with drawbars. thats really why I got it. Vox and Farfisa organ sim is also quite good. the instrument is unable to produce bad sounds as far as I can tell

Cons:
keybed fells really junky. not cheap feeling but both the "waterfall" organ keys and the "hammer action" piano keys feel like cheap diving board style synth keys (no offense guys). pretty sure its just a spring under the key pushing it back up, thats what it feels like. even has a sort of squeaky springy sound instead of the soft thud i'm used to from piano keys.
they advertise the 1gb memory like its hot shit, for a late 2015 instrument 1gb may be more than most of the competition, but it sounds too embarrassing to advertise as a good thing.

It seems like only the Korg kronos has a respectable memory capacity, but still its far less than i would deem acceptable for ANY of my gadgets. 32gb usb2 flash drives are like 10-20 bucks. why does only the $4000 kronos have anything more than 2gb memory?
>>
>>52430277
I always wanted to try getting a synth on a leslie speaker, to get that amazing sound The Band have on they keyboards https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLLlW1Kb_M8
>>
>>52430533
Get the Arturia emulator of the mini. It will give you a very good feel for the voyager.
>>
>>52430814
I have a leslie in my home (not a synth player unfortunately) and I gotta say its really inconvenient for anything except personal enjoyment in my home. it weighs a shitload, and the wood case make it unsuitable for gigging out. it has to be cranked pretty loud to really enjoy the roto sound, so night practicing is out of the question. headphone enjoyment is impossible also for obvious reasons. If you play in a band it requires you to set your own volume accordingly, which is hard when you're monitoring through a leslie and the rest of the band is on a PA, essentially it cuts out the sound guy if there is one.

i would highly recommend a leslie sim like a Ventilator pedal. It sounds very realistic through a stereo mix, and works great with headphones.

A true leslie roto effect can only be achieved in a live music setting. cannot be recorded properly, certainly not any better (probably worse) than a stereo rotary sim. way more practical imho
>>
>>52430701
To expand on this for other people who are interested in theory and such, the Voyager is somewhat unique in that it can easily stand on it's own and be as deep or bright as you need it to be. However, if you make it the focus of the music, then it carries the weight of directing the track as well. So, if you decide to use it as the most prominent sound, it has to change or evolve to add movement or it risks becoming uninteresting. This is why you really want to add more complex modulation into it.
>>
>>52430414
Well if you aren't into synths you aren't into synths. Or at least sound synthesis anyway.

I'm the opposite, I'm not a musician, I'm not a keyboard player but I love synths. My favourite patches are purely generative where no playing of any sort is required. Like rigging my eurorack to semi-randomly generate notes in a particular key at semi-random intervals for semi-random lengths.

I should note that I adore the Blofeld as well, the textures you can get on that thing are fantastic. Really impressive and unique soundscapes. I borrowed one from a friend many years ago and have wanted one ever since.
>>
>>52433420
Hmmm they seem to be going on the cheap from ebay. Maybe I could use one to stop making all my pads on the Jupiter. It's not much more than a VST used.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.