[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
LINOOX NOOB QUESTION
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: sven.png (333 KB, 579x568) Image search: [Google]
sven.png
333 KB, 579x568
I currently have a windows box as a server because I don't know how to linoox.
Well, I've decided it has to change. This is my goal with this box:
>be able to share drives to windows machines in the same local network (workgroup?)
>have a somewhat close to windows GUI so I can get used to it
>run LAMP
>be firewalled and secure
So which distro would be the easiest to start with?
>inb4 automatic install gentoo reply
>inb4 >windows server
>inb4 OP is a homogay
pic unrelated
>>
>>>/g/sqt
>>
>>>/g/flt
>>
>>>/g/etout
>>
>>52425878
>>52425882
>>52425896
OK well fuck Linux and fuck Linux ppl
I'll try next year.
>>
I would think that pretty much any distro is fine, since you can just install anything you like to accomplish your goals.

Except maybe in relation to the windows gui thing. Am I right in assuming that you have a monitor attached to your server? Or do you connect to it remotely?
>>
I'd go with Mint, honestly. My first and last Linux distro of about 3 years now.
>>
>>52425912
No, fuck you, we are trying to redirect you to threads where you can get help with your question, you inbred piece of trash.
>>
Ubuntu.
>>
debian
>>
Pinguy OS looks friendly to me? Any cons?
>>
>>52425941
who the fuck cares? this board is super slow anyway with very little new content everyday
>>
>>52425868
Most of these assholes will just say
>/g/sqt

You should definetely go for Ubuntu 14.04 LTS or 15.10 willy
>muh firewall
You don't need a fucking firewall you potato
>muh same local network sharing
YES
>have somewhat close to windows gui
XFCE4 or Unity
>>
>>52426158
thanks anon
any thought on Pinguy OS? Isn't it based on Ubuntu?
>muh same local network sharing
even with a password protected windows workgroup?
>>
>>52426203
>even with a password protected windows workgroup?
You can change thoose settings easily
>any thought on Pinguy OS? Isn't it based on Ubuntu?
It's shit, ChaletOS is better
>>
>>52426236
And if you're desperate for a firewall, go for UFW. i think you should install manjaro or Antergos first and get familliar with arch, then after a few months install it from scratch
>>
>>52426236
>You can change thoose settings easily
You mean on windows side? I'd rather add that box to the network, not change the network. Possible?
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.