[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Audio"masters"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
Local business I took my four PWX's to get installed in my car, I get a call couple hours later.
>Not enough depth
>trunk bar in the way
So now I decided to say fuck it and get 4 Alpines instead.
If they would of made a spacer they would of fit, but they just don't want to use the effort.
What does /g/ think about the 20dB Alpines I'm apparently getting vs my 93dB Crescendos?
>>
>car audio
>>
put them in external boxes?
>>
>>52418990
Car audio is a hobby where you learn about acoustics. You should be in there positioning your speakers, designing an enclosure built to the t/s specs of your speakers, and running pink noise with a laptop and a spectrum analyzer to find weak points in the system.
If you're not gonna put the effort into a hobby, drop the fucking hobby. I bet you don't even know what your speakers efficiency bandwidth product is, you piece of shit.
>>
>>52419940
dunno think it said like 50 or so
>>
'Nendo's are pretty notorious for having ridiculous mounting depths. You could just make some mounting rings out of starboard or bedliner'd MDF to make up for the depth difference.
What model Alpines are you getting? If you're getting higher end models you'll probably way more satisfied with the SQ than the Crescendos. Since the Crescendo's are pro audio drivers, they're geared more towards SPL.
>>
>>52420082
Car audio is a crapshoot, you can't just say
>pro audio drivers are geared for SPL
and have it be some kind of universal truth. It's more like this.
>brand X's Y woofers are SPL
>their Z woofers are SQ
>their W woofers have shit efficiency
>their entry level speakers are fucking awesome in nearly all applications but nobody buys them because car audio fags are idiots over "muh magnet size" and "muh power handling".
>brand X has no fucking clue how it turns out that way and just prices accordingly.
>>
>>52419940
93dB+
>>
>>52420241
That's not EBP. I bet that's the efficiency, and I'm willing to take it a step further that it's the rating at 2.63 volts / 1m because the rating at 1watt / 1 meter wouldn't be that high.
>>
>>52420189
You actually can say that. There are so many different aspects of a driver that will make it more formidable for an SPL application versus an SQ application and vice versa.
And yes. You are right about bassheads sperging over magnet size and paying no real attention to the T/S parameters or anything that actually matters. Brand X knows exactly what they're doing. They pander to fags that think the size of the surround and excursion is the be-all-end-all descriptive aspect of a subwoofers performance. Take Sundown and EMF for example.
>>
>>52419073
op is prolly stoopid.
>>
>>52422312
I'm an oldfag, when I stopped doing car audio Resonant Engineering was still relevant, and Incriminator Audio's first gen 187s were still for sale (I miss those so fucking much). Sundown and EMF are brands I have no clue about.
>>
>>52422790
Car subs are pretty shit and overpriced
>>
>>52423414
Different requirements for a different application anon. Home audio sub drivers don't have background noise or vibrations to deal with, can have massive enclosures, and rooms have far more space for a waveform to expand. It all results in a cleaner, deeper sound from a smaller driver with less power.

Car subs have to make bass in the worst possible environment often with unreliable power sources and surrounded by moisture, and most likely for someone who has no idea how to properly set up and install said woofer.

So car audio woofers have adapted. They're larger, heavier and more durable, less efficient, and with the right numbers that appeal to car audio fags.

I have a $600 15" car sub about 7 feet from me that's only seen about an hour of playtime, you're right about overpriced though.
>>
>>52425356
I agree with the stuff about noise, vibration, inhospitable environment, dumb installers etc, but that first paragraph is bunk :3

Rooms are too big and leaky to get cabin gain, while it's trivial to pressurize a car cabin at sub-bass frequencies. It technically takes a ton more power and excursion to get chest-cavity-pounding bass in a room.

Now that kilowatt Class-D amps are available for a couple hundred bucks and DSP for under a hundred, enclosure size has shrank in HT; excursion and power-handling are now king, just as with car subs.

>rooms have far more space for a waveform to expand
Yeah, and this is a bad thing. Room modes are a HUGE problem in home theaters. Large peaks and dips in the FR cause bass perception to simultaneously be boomy and thin. The only way to combat modes is with multiple subwoofers placed around the room.
>>
>>52420395
You sound like an elitist.
>>
>>52418990
20dB?? wtf are you babbling about?
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.