[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just bought my first smartphone (poor). Its an Android, what
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3
File: Android-121-1232684.png (80 KB, 1600x1600) Image search: [Google]
Android-121-1232684.png
80 KB, 1600x1600
I just bought my first smartphone (poor). Its an Android, what cool shit can i do with this? Tips tricks? apps, etc
>>
>>52405068
Root it, xposed, titanium backup
>>
>>52405093
What this faggot says. Use root wisely - bricking is possible. Babby's first root app is usually adblock. Also, if you want to rice the phone, look at Nova launcher.
>>
Should I use Spotify or Google Play Music?
>>
>>52405068
>(poor)
>>52405588
>Should I use <expensive service> or <expensive service>?
>inb4 Google Play Music is free

You download torrents and put them on your phone through adb.
>>
>>52405688
The price isn't really a problem. So, not taking that into account, which one is better?
>>
>>52405068
If you are a girl:
>download free vibrator-apps you can use to stimulate clitoris
>>
>>52405718
You still download torrents and put them on your phone through adb because the quality is higher and there's no DRM and you're in control and it always works offline and it will never consume data.
>>
>>52405068
forget these ricer faggots. root has better uses, like degoogling your phone and using foss alternatives. go ahead, 'brick' your phone. you can always recover and ive never hard bricked anything. first off get fdroid. you will have to install it with apk. then install ghost commander, and root around your disk, deleting bloat preinstalled. adw is a great foss launcher, as opposed to nova launcher, and titanium backup is a meme app used by people who usually dont have anything to backup anyways.

also check out lucky patcher if you just want to play pirated games or turn off ads in apps
>>
>>52405739
I see. Well. Thanks for your help. I've been thinking about doing this but it seems to be quite boring to do. And sorry about my english.
>>
>>52405739
>adb
>>
>>52405754
Very much this.

>>52405780
You can automate it, it's not an active process.

>>52405793
>not adb
>>
>>52405846
Mind sharing how you do this? I really don't have any idea besides doing it manually.
>>
>>52405731
Why?
>>
>>52405754
actually i want to mention something, if your phone is relatively popular it very likely has custom roms. complete replacements for your os. think of it like linux distros, which is pretty much exactly what it is. cyanogenmod is the most popular one but there are plenty others
>>
>>52405578
>Use root wisely - bricking is possible
I can't comprehend how stupid one would have to be to brick a phone with root. Do you deliberately install busybox to run rm -rf / or what?
>>
>>52405068
>android
Enjoy your botnet faggot.
>>
>>52408196
OP is going to root his phone and strip out Google crap, dum-dum
>>
>>52405068
Hi anon, one of the great things about Android is you can make it look how you want- there are autists in rice threads n' shit but it's worth for everyone with Android looking at things like Nova Launcher (it has more options than stock) and UCCW (custom widgets that look cool) as well as icon packs (there's loads of these- see what you like)
>>
>>52405731
it's what the cool kids are doing
>>
>>52405688
Adb
>Not just using (Bitttorent) "Sync" (Cable or wifi)
But yes, rooted "adb over wifi" exists too.

>>52405754
Hardbricked, usualy just reflash bootloader or recovery and reflash stock and jump from there - Always been my saver (Takes high amount of skill tho)

Root
Supersu.apk
Titanumbackup
Xposed (hardcore more)
Nova
Lyckypatcher (Remove ads, ingame free pay, patchings)
Amplify if you are battery addicted autistic like me
XPrivacy (Like Android 6.0 permissions, but even deeper)
Adaway (if xposed)
Cyanogenmod based roms should do the heavy trickery tho, no stock please

>>52405731
Oh so funneh m8tey ;^)
>Inb4 carrat nose...
>>
Action Launcher 3
Naked Browser
Tasker
>>
What alternate sources for paid apks are there? I'm getting sick and tired of Unified Remote nagging me every time I touch anything.
>>
File: 1450203927461.jpg (30 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
1450203927461.jpg
30 KB, 499x499
>>52408597
>>52405731
>>
It really depends what you want to do with it. If you don't care too much then just use it as a normal phone, but there are some interesting things you can do.

>root
This will open the door to so much more for your phone. Ad blockers, root only apps, etc.

>xposed
Think of this like an app store for root only apps. It's pretty cool and offers a lot of things like performance tweaks, customization, and other shit only available after rooting.

>custom roms
You can flash different roms (think of them as slightly different operating systems) on your phone to keep it up to date on android updates. Some will also have better privacy, have more control over app permission, battery saving, less resource intensive, and allow you to customize the hell out of them.

>Home screen launchers
If you're interested in ricing download Nova Launcher and a few icon packs from the play store. Play around with those things until you create a good looking home screen, and then you can try posting it in the home screen threads for suggestions.

>KLWP
Another app meant for ricing - works best with nova launcher or other launchers. This will let you create really nice live wallpapers. There are some premade ones available on the play store, but after you have some experience you should try making your own.

>F-droid
Open source app store, if you're into that kinda stuff

Will continue elaborating in next post.
>>
Root, flash custom recovery, install custom ROM, flash custom kernel, flash custom radio firmware, install custom bootloader
>>
Some good root apps

>Adaway
>Xposed
>Root Explorer

Some good xposed modules
>Gravity Box
>Greenify
>Lucky Patcher
>Youtube Adaway

Also, since this is your first smart phone I'll give you some general tips about them. NEVER download any "cleaning" apps from the play store that claim to "speed up your phone by clearing junk" or some shit like that. It's all bullshit and is basically just malware.

Also, I would recommend going into developer settings (tap build number in settings a bunch of times to unlock dev settings), and then checking off Force GPU Rendering and Disable HW Overlays. Might as well check off USB debugging as well.

I think that's a lot of information that you can sort through. Go look on xda for information about how you can unlock the bootloader, root, and install a custom recovery.

Oh and one last thing OP, I don't remember where exactly the setting is, but you're going to have to enable app installs from unknown sources. I think it's in dev settings or under security or something like that, but you'll find it.

Good luck OP.
>>
F-Droid is a marketplace alternative to the Play Store, but what makes it so much better is that all the apps are 100% open source which means the apps are 99% less likely to require insane permissions. unlike the Play Store where the most downloaded apps for things like flashlight steal your identity...
>>
>>52409845
You mean checking them off?
Enable both with check marks GPU and HW
>>
>>52405731
>>52409605
>>52408597
>>52408548
>>52405903
I have a vibrator app like he said and it's god like if your phone has good vibration. Sometimes i'll just leave it on under my balls while jerking, other times i wrap it up in plastic and put between my ass.

It's amazing.
>>
>>52405578
What does it mean to rice a phone?
>>
>>52410520
To pimp it
>>
>>52410950
Why is it called ricing it?
I honestly thought at first everyone meant making your phone more chinky.
>>
>>52405068
android has serious spyware and malware problems so install an antivirus first

you might be able to trade it in for an older model iphone (iphone 5 or 5s) too
>>
File: mai (2).jpg (30 KB, 591x476) Image search: [Google]
mai (2).jpg
30 KB, 591x476
>>52410397
Holy fuck
Link plz
>>
>>52405588
Apple music
>>
>>52411133
> Newfag
> don't know how programs run in Linux based systems
Kill yourself senpai
>>
>>52411099
Pretty sure it was an /o/ term since before the internet.
>>
Is there a good adblocking tool that
>doesn't need you to enable "allow apps from unknown sources"
that I can install on my Dad's phone, and not have to worry about it any further?

Also, same question but regarding battery saving applications, with the additional constraints of
>actually works
>is available for download from non-shady sources
>>
>>52414242
Adaway, it changes the host file
>>
>>52405718
Spotify mucho better than Google Play
>>
>>52405754
>root has better uses, like degoogling your phone and using foss alternatives
lol not even gonna read any more of this post, nobody cares dude fuck off
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.