[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Someone help me figure this out >log into my computer earlier
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 3
File: 1451889662517.jpg (60 KB, 722x349) Image search: [Google]
1451889662517.jpg
60 KB, 722x349
Someone help me figure this out
>log into my computer earlier today, no issues
>go out for a few hours
>try and log in
>says I have an incorrect password when I 100% KNOW it's the password
>shitpants.jpg

H-have I been hacked/trojaned? What the fuck do I do?
>>
caps lock
>>
Are we being raided or something? What's with all the trollbait tech support threads lately?
>>
>>52360948
burn your house down
>>
>>52360973
Nope

>>52360983
Nope
>>
Your keyboard language might have changed. For example If it went to German the layout is different now.
>>
>>52361003
Restart
>>
>>52360948
why would a hacker change your password lol
we WANT you to keep using your computer for those delicious keylogs
go be a faggot somewhere else
>>>/v/
>>
>>52361032
This might be the case
>>
>>52361032
Changed it to Russian, Greek, and English, didn't work for any of them

>>52361035
Tried

>>52361061
That's a great question... Is changing a computer password a hacker thing to do? If I'm not logged in, can people dig through my files?
>>
>>52360948
Are you using Windows?
>>
>>52361121
Windows 8
>>
>>52360948
Turn it off. Turn it back on.
>>
>>52361093
>Is changing a computer password a hacker thing to do?
Not really, there're password removal tools specifically made for cases like these. You will need to boot from a live disc with one of these tools, just google it, now you what you need to search.

>If I'm not logged in, can people dig through my files?
If the PC is still connected to internet and if it really was compromised, yes of course.

Anyway, do you have an AV installed? running Windows without AV is like walking on Liberia's beach without gas mask, for your information.
>>
>>52361225
>Anyway, do you have an AV installed? running Windows without AV is like walking on Liberia's beach without gas mask, for your information.

I had Macafee, but it told me the trial expired, but when I opened the program it said the AV was still up. I also had Panda Security

I turned off my computer, and just reset all my important passwords and info on all my accounts from my phone. I only have an old backup of my computer, but it's still a backup... Should I just nuke the HD to play it safe, or run it to a shop?
>>
>>52361270
>Macafee
It's like you wanted to get fucked. Macafee is not an AV is a damn spyware, you used a cracked version too!?

>Panda
Panda was good in 2002 but now is literally obsolete, useless bloatware.

>Should I just nuke the HD to play it safe, or run it to a shop?
The shop will just nuke your HDD anyway, why even bother to pay some normie who's pretenging to be a technician? do it yourself ffs.. I told you what you need to remove the password before, go google it damn it. There're a gazillion guides on YT too.
>>
Also, I'd like to just apologize in general. This isn't trollbait, I'm serious. I know that tech support threads are frowned on here, but I guess it's less that I want help with the specifics of how to reset the password (which I can find elsewhere), and more that I want someone to shed some light on what might have happened. I called Lenovo tech support, and the Filipino dude on the line told me I probably had a trojan. Like, what's the logic of changing my password and locking me out of my computer? I don't have anything special on my hdd. Is there any weird error that just accidentally changed my password?
>>
>>52360948
get a linux livecd and extract all of the files that are important to you from the windows partition.

then wipe and reinstall.
>>
>>52361322
>It's like you wanted to get fucked. Macafee is not an AV is a damn spyware, you used a cracked version too!?
this

>purposely cracking spyware software to infect yourself
It's like compiling a virus on your server as root for no reason
>>
>>52361370
I didn't use a cracked version, the trial that came with the laptop expired
>>
>>52361416
>>52360948
Are you drunk, or did drugs while you were out ?

Did anyone spike your drink or hit you in the head with a hard object ?
>>
>>52361429
No?
>>
File: rescatux_032b1_extended_menu.png (40 KB, 864x649) Image search: [Google]
rescatux_032b1_extended_menu.png
40 KB, 864x649
>>52361342
>I don't have anything special on my hdd. Is there any weird error that just accidentally changed my password?

No. You have a virus and the guy on the phone was right. OP, there's literally no danger in using a live disc to remove the windows password:
http://www.supergrubdisk.org/category/download/

Do it and install a new AV asap, something like Avira Free or Avast Free, then go read some security blog to learn some shit about security rather than trying to guess:
https://usblog.kaspersky.com/bad-badwinmail/6436/
>>
>>52361446
are you sure ?!
>>
>>52361453
Thanks. Honestly, I'm probably just gonna reset it, I've only had this new computer for a semester, and I didn't really like how I set it up (ie: not at all), so there's no real loss of data or anything. I'll be sure to take this as a shitty lesson and seriously educate myself in the future. Do you use Avast or Avira? And do you know anything about Synaptics?
>>
>>52361342
Have you turned off your computer and turned it back on yet?

I'm being serious.
>>
>>52361548
>Avast or Avira?
I've been using Avast since 2006-2007 and I sticked with that, not a single virus went through for the past 10 years, but Avira has literally the same rating so I'd recommend you choose based on your preferences, I'm paranoid so I don't use just Avast but like a dozen programs for security measures (not anti viruses, you need just one of those, otherwise they cause conflicts with each other if you use more than one), so I cannot say for sure that Avast by iteself will resolve all your problems.

>do you know anything about Synaptics?
Not really, how comes?
>>
>>52361596
>Not really, how comes?
It's an AV that my uni's IT offers for free... I'll try and check it out

Thanks again for being genuinely helpful, man
>>
>>52361596
You don't even need anti virus if you learn some basic understandings of downloading and installing software on windows machines
>>
>>52361872
>if you learn some basic understandings of downloading and installing software on windows machines
Don't?
>>
>>52361816
Synaptics makes touchpad software... Do you mean Symantec?
>>
>>52361225
>Running Windows without AV is like walking on Liberia's beach without gas mask, for your information.

I've walked on that beach for 5 years and never got a slightest cough. It's odd how those AV companies sell you their stories and you believe them. Of course, there's a possibility that I get infected. There's also a possibility that I'll wipe everything clean once that happens because I'm not tech illiterate.
>>
>>52361872
How many years have you been using windows? do you even use windows in the first place? I grew up in windows and I learned that there's much more than what the task manager shows you, do you honestly believe you can protect yourself from packet injections, dns hijackings and similar security threats with common sense alone? and heuristic definitions? some people use their PC for more than just browsing 4chan and watching anime, fyi. You should read some article about security as I recommended to OP already, because you seem to be lacking quite a bit on this matter.

>>52361816
>It's an AV that my uni's IT offers for free... I'll try and check it out
It doesn't sound good, this kind of things are usually scams, do you know the official site? didn't find many informations about this Synaptics, except this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synaptics

But I think it's a different company, it doesn't say anything about anti viruses.
>>
Have you considered installing linux?
Seriously though, with a linux dvd/usb you could mount your hard disk and probably get your data back
>>
>>52361981
Synaptics is a very legitimate touchpad manufacturer, they make like 80% of touchpads in laptops
>>
>>52360948
Check if shift key works.
>>
Use Billix to reset a Win 7 PW: http://sourceforge.net/projects/billix/

If you have Win 8 or 10 get Win 7, Lubuntu, or Trisquel.
>>
File: q3x05fz.jpg (345 KB, 1632x1632) Image search: [Google]
q3x05fz.jpg
345 KB, 1632x1632
>>52362003
Also use a live cd or Win PE to recover your files.
>>
Here is a weird one /g/.

On my old as fuck gaymin winbox (7) i noticed something.

Say i leave it on, and it puts itself to sleep mode. Normally it wakes back up upon a keypress like normal, but sometimes it does not. I figure old hardware + lolwindows means i just restart it.

So i hold down the power button but it keeps blinking in sleep mode. Here is where it gets weird.

I go to the psu on the back and cut the power, i then un plug it and press the ppwer button again to drain the caps and then plug it all back in.

It turns on, but it does not post. It does not go to my password log in. It goes right to desktop.

Is this a feature? If so, fucking how?

The phenomenon is repeatable btw.
>>
Before you go attempting to gain access to your computer in order to downoad a live cd why not try reseting the BIOS by removing the cmos battery for a bit and letting your system reconfigure itself to a stock configuration?

Earlier today my keyboard wouldn't turn on at the grub menu but worked every where else ( I managed to get the computer to open up in safe mode somehow ). All I had to do was remove the cmos battery, wait a few minutes and put it back in. Saved myself the head ache of buying a new keyboard. Also, it turned out that my fan had gotten caught in the wiring so the processor started to over heat.

You really never know what the problem actually is.
>>
>>52362115
Take video. I wanna see this so bad.
>>
>>52362207
Im at work right now, get off in 3 or 4 hours. Maybe i will.
>>
Actually this happened to me as well when I was using windows XP. My password just stopped using one day, I guess someone in my family could have changed it but I doubt it, maybe it was some kind of file corruption.
>>
>>52362115
>press the ppwer button again to drain the caps
I hate this meme.

Look. When you press the power button it doesn't like complete a connection to allow power to flow through the system to try and turn on, thus draining any power in the system.
>>
>>52361936
ur already infected senpai
>>
Something like this happened to me on my Windows 8 laptop once.

Put it to sleep in Japan. Woke it up in Australia and it wasn't accepting my password.
Literally rebooted it and then I could log in, and then I turned off the Microsoft account bullshit that shouldn't have been on in the first place.
>>
>>52361360
Do this
>>
>>52362359
No, but it does drain the caps and thus by proxy making sure your RAM is fully cleared. (It should happen on post anyways but im just making sure).

Go ahead, try it. You will see your fans spin for a second and maybe a mobi light turn on and dim.
>>
>>52362402
That's the capacitors in the PSU.
They wouldn't be feeding the RAM while the system is powered off anyway, so if anything all you're doing is giving the RAM some power again, unless it is asleep.

Wait a second.

>computer is asleep
>pull out the power
>capacitors in the PSU are still providing power to the CPU/RAM in sleep mode
>press the power button that would wake up the computer normally
>plug the power back in, BEFORE the capacitors have been drained
>system wakes up normally
>>
>>52361936
>taking chances because I'm a kool kid
>not tech illiterate.
>>
>>52362523
It's even fucking possible that pressing the power button does completely nothing because it might check for enough power on one of the rails, like the 12V, before attempting to switch out of the sleep state, which it probably wouldn't find, so it could really just be plugging the power back in that triggers it to switch out.

Anyway, it sounds to me like the system is being sustained by residual power in the PSU allowing it to wake from sleep. If you wait longer with the power unplugged you should lose it.
>>
>>52362620
>>52362523
Guys, for an OS sleep state to work, the ram has to stay powered.
>>
>>52362872
No fucking shit you dumbwad.

The PSU capacitors are keeping it powered. You do know the PSU has a bunch of those fuckers in it right? Big nasty ones.
The amount of power required to keep the RAM powered is quite low. It's certainly feasible that sleep could be maintained off PSU residual charge alone for 30 seconds or so.
>>
OP, you sound dumb enough that you could have a virus, but I've seen many times when people for whatever reason just couldn't log in to their account all of the sudden without having a virus.

I usually just chalk it up to the person being dumb and forgetting their password but it's also possible it's a corrupted Windows update (because that shit is broken) or something similar.

1) Try doing a system restore to before the problem started happening

2) If you have the built-in Administrator account still enabled, you can access it from command line in the recovery menu I think.

3) There's a method I always use but I don't know how reliable it is: using a Windows boot disc, I go to command line and replace the program utilman.exe with cmd.exe. Then I boot up as normal, but at the login screen you hit the Usability and Ease of Use button, and it should come up with a command prompt because you switched the programs. Then you just change the user password, restart and log in.

Of course that only works if you have the built-in Administrator account enabled still and is incredibly unsecure.
>>
1. caps lock
2. changed language (keyboard layout)
3. one of the keys has stopped working
4. haxorz
>>
>>52361548
Install GNU/Linux kiddo
>>
>>52360948
Have you tried a different keyboard?
>>
Have you checked if your keycaps are in the right places? Maybe you are pressing the wrong keys?
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.