[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why use Linux Mint? They disable Ubuntu's critical security
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3
File: mint172-cinn-start-menu.png (398 KB, 2880x1800) Image search: [Google]
mint172-cinn-start-menu.png
398 KB, 2880x1800
Why use Linux Mint? They disable Ubuntu's critical security updates by default.
>>
Anyone not using Ubuntu is a tryhard
>>
>>52361136
>tryhard
>Mint
Mint's one of the few OS that are actually more babby-tier than Ubuntu
>>
>>52360829
At least do a little bit of research before shit posting, retard
>>
>>52361136
> When you like the idea of customization and freedom, so you dip your toes in the water but are too scared to step into the pool for fear of drowning.
Your just a pussy afraid of getting wet.
>>
>>52360829
>best DE by default
>no adware like in Ubuntu
>no muh freedom bullshit like in Debian
>>
>>52361146
And by baby tier you mean actually usable as your primary OS. I've been using Linux since 1995, probably before most of you were born. Im a senior Linux systems engineer at one of the top software companies. I use Linux Mint as my workstation OS because it's the best.
>>
>>52364148
>adware in ubuntu
redpill me anon, I don't know if I'm ignoring something bad or if you're just shilling
>>
>>52364234
they put amazon ads in search results some versions ago
>>
>>52360829

They also disable Ubuntu's amazon botnet by default.

Honestly, Mint is probably the best 'it just werx' distro out there. And it is familiar enough to Windows 7 in its layout that people migrating to avoid Win 8/10 can be relatively comfortable while they get used to a linux system.
>>
>>52364148
>Muh freedom
>Debian

>what are non-free repos
>what are non-free installation images
>>
>>52364188
>using Linux since 1995
>calls one distro the best
Pick one and only one.
>>
>>52360829
You want a shitfaced Windows clone and then worry about missing features. Stop being a cuck and just use Windows like a normal person. Then again, normal is a bad word on /g/ because autistic turbonerds can't stand the idea of other people being happy and satisfied with their lives.
>>
>>52364532
>They also disable Ubuntu's amazon botnet by default.
No, it just simply isn't there. Only Unity has the amazon search
>>
>>52364571

I get that there are difference between 'isn't there' and 'is disabled,' but it's also a semantic argument.
>>
File: 868feda9a5f537fe.png (610 KB, 1065x961) Image search: [Google]
868feda9a5f537fe.png
610 KB, 1065x961
>>52364188
>>52364532
these. i work in an office, helping with the development of a website and android/ios app.

i use mint as my main distro.
>>
I fucken werks and has every stuff needed for a daily use. Both of its DE's are great desu senpai
>>
>>52362389
I have idiot. They compromise security for stability. I've never had any security update break my Ubuntu.
>>
>>52364514
>>52364234
Oh wow. It's anonymized and there to help support Ubuntu. It might even dare I say be useful as most people use Amazon.

>go in dash
>type privacy
>uncheck the online results
>>
Linux Mint is good for noobs because they made a GUI application for just about everything you need to do to maintain a GNU/Linux operating system. Software Manager, Update Manager, right click to uninstall applications, etc. It just works. I personally tried it for a few months. I really love the Cinnamon desktop environment. I personally started with Damn Small Linux. Then I went to Slackware, then Linux Mint, and now I've been using Xubuntu ever since.
>>
>>52365044
I like Xubuntu too but it has some horrible screen tearing issues compared to vanilla Ubuntu and Linux Mint.
>>
>>52365044
Why do you like xubuntu? How much you can customize it?
>>
>>52365076

You have to build xfwm4 on your own pc to take care of it, but once you do all screen tearing problems go away.
>>
>>52364188
Yea, but you'll never win any dick waving contests with Mint. You do know that right? There are hypothetical bitches out there who will give up that pussy for the right Linux neckbeard, but I guarantee you it won't be to Mint users. No, these sorts of wild slits are only going to go for some hardcore Gentoo, or Arch user. Maybe Slackware, but definitely not Mint. Kek.

Seriously though, I like Mint alright. It was the first distro I used as my primary daily OS. I did run into some very minor issues, and ended up switching to Manjaro for a while. All in all I like them almost equally.

I have since gotten into OpenBSD and really do prefer it over any other *Nix I've tried. I still use Linux for some things, mainly entertainment related. Right now I have Arch installed, but really don't care for it that much. It's too much work for something I'm not using for anything serious. I may give Fedora a try soon, but I'm thinking Mint, or Manjaro is going to end up being the goofing-off distro I stick with.
>>
>>52365096

Because I learned how to make widgets for XFCE panel and desktop from YouTube channel many years ago and I always liked the XFCE desktop. I chose Xubuntu because 90% of applications I use were included or all I had to do was sudo apt-get install ___.
>>
>>52365096
I put the taskbar at the bottom and change the whisker menu to show recently opened applications by default. I also like middle clicking an application in the task bar to close it. A few other things I change when I notice but out of the box it just werks and doesn't feel bloated like some of the other distros.
>>
>>52365139
And removing applications doesn't remove the whole desktop like others.
>>
>>52360829
>Why use Linux Mint?
It's EZ. I was interested in the workings of OS's when I was younger, but I have better things to spend my limited energy on now.
>They disable Ubuntu's critical security updates by default.
Ah fuck it, I consider nothing online secure any more. Not really concerned about some hacker and temporary breach near as much as long time corporate or gooberment tracking with it's potential for manipulation.
>>
>>52365096
It's pretty much Mint XFCE, but without non-free codecs as part of the base, and Mint's own repositories. Mint's default XFCE is slightly different, and looks and feels a little more polished. There's no reason you can't get Xubuntu to look and feel exactly like Mint with minimal effort though. So really it is just whether or not you want the proprietary shit installed for you, and whether you prefer Ubuntu's repositories, or Mint's.
>>
My dad works for Linux and he uses Mint
>>
>>52365327
I know that feel. Life is too short. No more spending days and days trying to fix trivial problems.
>>
>>52365859
I think Xubuntu does a better job of ricing xfce out of the box.
>>
>>52365939
Man, I've tried to get on at Linux and it's just about impossible. I told them that I'd promise just to stand around in the back and be quite, and they still wouldn't hire me. I'm pretty sure you have to be a Freemason to get your foot in the door there.
>>
>>52364188
>I've been using Linux since 1995
i was 4, try again.
>>
>>52366986
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgHNtzxO0y8
>>
>>52367569
>tripcode
M8? U new here?
>>
>>52367662
I arrived an hour ago from Nigeria.
>>
I've been using Linux Mint for more than a year now as my first experience with Linux and want to get a new computer and preferably go a step further with a new OS.
What would be the logical step to go to next after Mint?
>>
You don't even need Linux Mint anymore. Fedora has a cinnamon spin now.
>>
>>52364532
>And it is familiar enough to Windows 7 in its layout that people migrating to avoid Win 8/10 can be relatively comfortable while they get used to a linux system.
This. It's my story anon.
>>
>>52368268
You'll come back to Mint after a while anyway, save your time.
>>
>>52368546
Thanks for the suprisingly good advice.
Did some thinking, wondering why I would want to change distro in the first place and I couldn't really think of anything.
I can do whatever I need to do on Mint so why change?

Maybe I'll try a different desktop environment aside from the default ones.
>>
>>52365114
The ironic part is that a Mint user might still be normie enough to get laid, while arch/gentoo neckbeards are too busy ricing and posting in desktop threads to ever associate themselves with 3D women
>>
Mint got popular back when you had to install third party shit like MPEG codecs manually in Ubuntu, because they came packaged in with Mint. Then it became easy to install that shit in Ubuntu like 7 years ago, but retards on message boards like this never got the memo so now there's a lot of "Mint is easier" FUD on the internet.
>>
>>52368680
Well, I use Mint and I'm soon to be a wizard.
>>
>>52361136
Enable unstable updates and make your desktop secure as fuck then
Don't come crying when your system breaks like ubuntu

Also can anyone tell me actually what level of security is compromised during when mint holds back the unstable "security" patches? Will a user be "Haxed" if the patches are not applied within that timeframe?
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.